Let’s make air fryer frozen falafel more fun with this vegetarian falafel bowl. Loaded with falafel, courgette, peppers, tomatoes, chickpeas, and a Greek yoghurt sauce this is perfect for a yummy light dinner.
Or swap the Greek sauce for a non-dairy version and make this falafel bowl vegan.
This air fryer frozen falafel recipe is updated for 2022. We hope you like the update with new photos and even more helpful tips and tricks.
Air Fryer Falafel
Last October we had a wonderful week away for half term. We went to this fun place with indoor swimming pools, outside fair rides and lots more entertainment to keep us occupied.
I have always been one for cooking on holiday, but this time we opted for the half board option. That means you had your breakfast and dinner in one of their restaurants and then just had to take care of lunch.
What I loved most was the dinners each night and the different options they had. I particularly loved the vegetarian and vegan variety (former vegetarian here that loves veggies). But the one food that I wish had been repeated was the falafels.
I just loved the curried chickpea balls and could have eaten them everyday for the whole holiday.
It put me on a mission to update our air fryer falafel recipe with a frozen version.
But I didn’t just want to cook frozen falafels in the air fryer, I wanted to make it more interesting by turning those simple falafels into a meal and that is exactly what I have done here.
Frozen falafels with veggies, more chickpeas, salad stuff and then it becomes a vegetarian version of our air fryer chicken burrito bowls.
Are You New To The Air Fryer?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular air fryer mini course which teaches you the air fryer basics in 5 days, we also have our air fryer bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy air fryer recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
Can You Air Fry Falafel?
Yes, you can cook falafel in the air fryer and its delicious. It is also just as good as air fryer frozen meatballs. They also have a fantastic crisp to them once cooked, which you will not get from the microwave or from the oven.
As well as this, you can use up space in the air fryer for any sides you want to pair with your frozen falafel balls.
Can You Cook Falafel From Frozen?
Yes, you can cook falafel from frozen and I am a big fan of doing so. Some of the easiest foods to cook from frozen are the small items that don’t take long to cook as they defrost.
Such as meatballs or in the case of falafels vegan meatballs.
Can You Air Fry Trader Joe’s Frozen Falafel?
Yes, you sure can. Though I am super jealous that I can’t because trader joe’s frozen falafels are not available outside the USA.
Instead, I am cooking from frozen a British brand of frozen falafels.
Can You Defrost In An Air Fryer?
Yes, you can defrost many different foods in the air fryer. As well as using the air fryer to defrost, you can also cook food from frozen in the air fryer, such as these delicious falafels.
My favourite food for defrosting in the air fryer is our air fryer bread rolls after I have frozen the leftovers. You could defrost your bread in the air fryer ahead of using for your falafels of serve them in a bowl with other yummy sides like I have done.
Would you like easy & amazing air fryer recipes from air fryer experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST air fryer beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful air fryer resources.
Frozen Falafel Air Fryer Ingredients
Falafels – We all have different brands of frozen falafels where we live, so just go with what is easy to source for you. And I find one bag/one box of them is perfect.
Veggies – For me its all about the falafel bowl loaded with veggies. I added red pepper, yellow pepper, courgette (zucchini in the USA).
Chickpeas – I love chickpeas and even though there are chickpeas in the falafels, air fried chickpeas are amazing, so I added these too.
Sauce – Then I love my air fried falafel with a sauce. I started with Greek yoghurt and added to it mint, cucumber, lemon juice, dill and a little garlic puree.
Choices – Then you can choose between turning it into a falafel bowl like I have done or making into a falafel wrap. Either option is great for a light lunch or dinner.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this air fryer falafel recipe it has just been our Philips Air Fryer. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of air fryer recipes.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our air fryer recipes category as we have more than 500 tried and tested air fryer recipes and have been air frying for 10 years.
How To Air Fry Falafel?
- Prep. Slice and dice your veggies that you are adding, and season with salt, pepper, coriander and cumin.
- Load. Then load into the air fryer the veggies along with your frozen falafels. Air fry for 8 minutes, shake and air fry for a further 3 minutes.
- Extras. Load the air fryer falafels into a bowl with the veggies. Then load the air fryer back up again with the chickpeas and as the chickpeas cook make your Greek dip.
- Serve. Then when the air fryer beeps add the chickpeas and the Greek dip to the bowl along with any extra salad garnish you want to include and serve.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to cook frozen falafels in air fryer and why you should be doing it too!
How Long To Cook Frozen Falafel In Air Fryer?
Frozen falafel air fryer time is JUST 11 minutes. This also includes using the air fryer to cook your veggies as well as heating up the falafels.
Then its an extra 6-8 minutes to air fry your chickpeas.
Therefore, for an all in one falafel bowl the cook time is still under 20 minutes!
Air Frying Falafel Tips & Tricks
- You can do as many frozen falafels that will fit in the air fryer basket at once, without it feeling overcrowded.
- If you have not cooked falafel in the air fryer before, then think of it as similar to air fryer meatballs. And if you are unsure if you will like it or not then note its like curried chickpeas.
- Go with quick cooking veggies that will have a similar cook time to frozen falafels. I went with peppers and courgettes, but you could use mushrooms instead or other stir fry style veggies.
- You can also use the ingredients from our falafel bowls to make vegetarian burritos. Instead of air fried chickpeas swap that cook time and temp for wrapping your ingredients into WW wraps and air frying.
Top Air Fryer Trick – You can also use the air fryer to reheat your leftover falafels. Simply load back into the air fryer and air fry for 4 minutes at 160c/320f.
The Air Fryer Frozen Food Cookbook
Did you know we have a very popular air fryer frozen food cookbook? It helps you simplify cooking with the air fryer and is filled with air fryer frozen food classics.
More Air Fryer Frozen Favourites
- Air Fryer Frozen Onion Rings
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Frozen Sweet & Sour Balls
- Air Fryer Frozen Jalapeno Poppers
- Air Fryer Frozen Burgers
Your frozen falafel air fryer recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Air Fryer Frozen Falafel Bowl
- Slice and dice your veggies and toss them in half the coriander and cumin. Also season them with salt and pepper.
- Load the veggies into the air fryer with the frozen falafels and cook for 8 minutes at 180c/360f. Shake and then air fry for a further 3 minutes at the same temperature.
- Once cooked remove from the air fryer and load into a bowl.
- Season drained chickpeas in the rest of the cumin and coriander and season with salt and pepper. Air fry for 6 minutes at 180c/360f. Whilst the chickpeas are being air fried load into a bowl your Greek dip ingredients and mix well. Load the dip and sliced tomatoes onto your falafel bowl.
- Then when the air fryer beeps, add the chickpeas, and serve with the rest of your falafel bowl.