Enjoy a healthy air fryer chicken burrito bowl for two tonight. Loaded with all your burrito bowl favourites including air fryer chicken breast, avocado, black beans, lettuce, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, sweetcorn, mixed peppers, cheese, and salsa.
This is the easiest bowl to make, and you can prep the salad bits whilst the air fryer cooks your chicken and heats up your frozen sweetcorn and peppers.
Our air fryer burrito bowl recipe was originally shared in 2017 and we are updating it today with new photos and even more great info.
Table of Contents
Chicken Burrito Bowl
One thing I love about the air fryer, is to make a meal in the air fryer. In fact, I have become rather obsessed lately with all in one air fryer dinners.
The idea that I can load everything into the air fryer, then when it beeps tuck in without feeling like I have spent forever in the kitchen.
Most of the air fryer meals I am excited about right now, would probably fall under sheet pan dinners or skillet dinners that have been converted to the air fryer.
Instead of a sheet pan dinner, you load the same foods into the air fryer basket, and you have an air fryer sheet pan meal.
Then the same concept but with the skillet. I loved the skillet meals but hated all the work that went into it. Such as cleaning the skillet afterwards!
But I loved the ingredients that can be cooked together in the bowl and my favourite so far is making my air fryer harvest dinner, which should be saved just for harvest time, but I want to eat it all year around.
Or similar with air fryer chicken fajitas.
But what if, you could make one of your many favourite burrito bowls in the air fryer instead? You could heat up what needs heating up, defrost anything from the freezer and use the air fryer to cook your chicken breast.
Well, that is exactly what we are showing you to do today in our air fryer chicken burrito bowl.
An easy concept for taking your favourite chicken burrito bowls to the air fryer to make your life even easier in the kitchen.
Are You New To The Air Fryer?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular air fryer mini course which teaches you the air fryer basics in 5 days, we also have our air fryer bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy air fryer recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
Can You Air Fry A Burrito?
Yes, you can. Plus, not only can you air fry a burrito, but you can use the air fryer too for creating a yummy burrito bowl.
For example, if making chicken burrito bowls, you can use the air fryer for the chicken instead of grilled chicken.
What Is A Burrito Bowl?
A burrito bowl is just how it sounds. The yummy ingredients that you normally associate with the inside of a burrito are instead made into a bowl of deliciousness.
Because there are so many different burrito fillings out there, its fantastic for mixing and matching your favourites.
For example, you could make a taco style burrito bowl, a beef and bean burrito bowl or even a pork one.
Though today’s air fryer burrito bowl is a chicken version.
Are Burrito Bowls Healthy?
Yes, they are. A burrito bowl is taking all the yummy goodness of a burrito and loading it onto a big bowl for you to enjoy for your lunch or dinner.
Loaded with ingredients such as chicken, avocado, black beans and salsa, it is also fantastic for Weight Watchers or Slimming World.
In fact, my addiction to chicken burrito bowls started after learning about them on Slimming World.
What To Put In Burrito Bowls?
We all have different ideas about what to put in burrito bowls but usually it will include:
- Black Beans
- Grated Cheese
- Sour Cream
Though many of these ingredients can be swapped about so that you can make your perfect chicken burrito bowls.
For example, you can swap sour cream for fat free Greek yoghurt to make it WW and SW friendly.
Or the salad can be what you love on your salad. You get to choose which lettuce you have, you can add tomatoes, you can add cucumber, you could even add some onion if you wanted to.
Air Fryer Chicken Burritos
Though of course, I am all for an easy burrito bowl recipe, and its thanks to the air fryer, that it becomes super easy.
We are using the air fryer to cook the chicken and make it the hero of your homemade burrito bowl.
Then we are using the air fryer to quick reheat frozen sweetcorn and frozen mixed peppers.
Then whilst the air fryer is on, its easy to prep the rest of your ingredients and make your burrito in a bowl.
Would you like easy & amazing air fryer recipes from air fryer experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST air fryer beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful air fryer resources.
Burrito Bowl Ingredients
Salad – You can mix and match salad ingredients and make your burrito bowl recipe your own. We added lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumber to ours.
Pulses – I love the beans or pulses that are included in a burrito bowl. You can use black beans, chickpeas, sweetcorn, cooked lentils or even kidney beans.
Meat – You can choose meat or fish in your burrito bowl. Its all about personal preference. Or you can even keep it vegetarian and use either quorn or try out our air fryer tofu recipe.
Sauce – Then for sauce its traditional to serve with a big dollop of salsa and a dollop of sour cream. You can add these or swap the sour cream for fat free Greek yoghurt to keep it healthy.
Extras – I also love to add in mixed peppers, grated cheese, and avocado. Though its totally up to you what else you add in.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this burrito bowl recipe it has just been our Philips Air Fryer XL. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of air fryer recipes.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our air fryer recipes category as we have more than 500 tried and tested air fryer recipes and have been air frying for 10 years.
How To Make A Burrito Bowl?
- Plan. Start by planning what you are going to be adding to your burrito in a bowl.
- Cook. Season your chicken (or other meat or fish you are using) and then load into the air fryer basket and air fry. When the chicken is done, swap the chicken for peppers and sweetcorn until all three are done.
- Prep. Whilst the air fryer is cooking your chicken and any other extras, prep the rest of your burrito bowl. I always add the lettuce first and then start decorating my bowl with all the other ingredients that I am adding.
- Finish. Load into the homemade burrito bowl your chicken, peppers and sweetcorn. Finish with the sauces and then serve.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to cook a burrito in a bowl recipe using the air fryer and why you should be doing it too!
Ninja Foodi Burrito Bowl
You can also use the Ninja Foodi to make the burrito bowl too. Simply cook our Ninja Foodi frozen chicken breast with a jar of salsa, (instead of stock) and then serve your just cooked chicken with the rest of your burrito bowl ingredients.
Burrito In Air Fryer Tips & Tricks
- Use up those leftovers. I loaded up my burrito with a salsa jar that needed using up and lots of spare salad items from the fridge. Grab what you have from the fridge that would work well in this burrito air fryer bowl.
- Make it WW friendly by swapping grated cheese for 50% reduced fat Tesco grated cheese and of course swapping sour cream for fat free Greek yoghurt.
- This chicken burrito bowl is big enough for two people for a fun healthy lunch.
- The chicken burrito in a bowl will last for 3 days in the fridge and you can reheat the chicken in the air fryer.
- Mix and match your favourite meat or fish. It doesn’t have to be a chicken burrito bowl it could even be a tofu burrito bowl.
Top Air Fryer Trick – You can also use the air fryer to reheat frozen veggies or salad items that you want to include in your burrito bowl. For example, we used the air fryer to warm up some frozen sweetcorn.
More Healthy Air Fryer Meals
Your burrito in a bowl recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Air Fryer Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Place your chicken breast mini fillets into the air fryer basket and season well with salt, pepper, and Mexican seasoning. Air fry for 10 minutes at 180c/360f. Then add in mixed frozen peppers and cook for a further 4 minutes.
- Start making your salad by adding a big lettuce layer first and then adding in sliced cucumber and cherry tomatoes that have been halved.
- Add frozen sweetcorn in a ramekin and place in the air fryer with the partly cooked peppers. Cook for a further 3 minutes at 180c/360f.
- Slice chicken and avocado and drain the black beans and add to the burrito bowl.
- Add in the mixed peppers, the sweetcorn, the grated cheese, then last add on top the salsa and the Greek yoghurt before serving.