This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
How to make Nandos Beanie Burger at home using your air fryer. Loaded with chickpeas, sweetcorn, lentils, and cheese, it’s a must make air fryer veggie burger.
If you are looking for something different in the air fryer and a filling veggie burger then this Nando beanie burger is it!
This nandos beanie burger recipe was originally shared with you back in 2017 and we are updating our Nandos series for you today with better gadgets and better recipes.
Nandos Beanie Burger
I am finishing my week of updated Nando copycat recipes with a Nandos Beanie Burger, which I have to say is the hardest of the collection.
Not because a beanie burger is hard to cook, but because there are lots of ingredients that go into one beanie burger and I am all about uncomplicated air fryer recipes with only a handful of ingredients.
Therefore, on our prep day we made the beanie burger last.
And you know what? It was the best tasting veggie burger I have ever made in the air fryer and worth the ingredients list.
It was also EASY to make a bigger batch of these beanie burgers and then freeze the leftovers.
Today, I am going to show you how to make your own homemade beanie burger in the air fryer, as well as how to quickly prep the veggie burgers using your own blender or food processor.
Are You New To The Air Fryer?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular air fryer mini course which teaches you the air fryer basics in 5 days, we also have our air fryer bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy air fryer recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
Interesting Beanie Burger Recipe Fact
You hear the words “beanie burger” and I am sure you are wondering what beans are in a classic beanie burger recipe.
Well, there is ZERO beans in a beanie burger.
Which I find kind of funny!
Instead, a beanie burger is loaded with chickpeas, green lentils, sweetcorn, and peas.
And we will be covering what is in a Nandos beanie in more detail further down in our ingredients list.
Is Nandos Beanie Burger Vegan?
No, a Nandos beanie buger is vegetarian not vegan. But interestingly, the only difference between vegan and vegetarian is the addition of cheddar cheese.
Therefore, if you swapped the cheddar cheese for a vegan cheese alternative, then you have a vegan Nando burger.
Nandos Chickpea Burger
Many refer to the beanie burger as a Nandos chickpea burger and that is because of the chickpeas in the burger.
Chickpeas are one of my favourite foods and are fantastic for blending into a burger. They also don’t carry a lot of water and are easy to flavour and make them your own.
Plus, you only need half a can of some drained chickpeas in a Nandos burger.
Can I Air Fry A Veggie Burger?
Yes, you most certainly can make air fry a veggie burger and they are delicious when cooked in the air fryer.
What I recommend you do is up to 4 veggie burgers in the air fryer at once so that the air fryer is not overcrowded.
Would you like easy & amazing air fryer recipes from air fryer experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST air fryer beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful air fryer resources.
Nandos Beanie Burger Ingredients
Pulses – We recommend that you use sweetcorn, peas, chickpeas, and green lentils. We cooked a batch of our favourite instant pot green lentils first and allowed them to cool before starting the nandos burgers.
Marinade – We then used enough of our homemade nandos marinade to add a delicious Nandos flavour to the beanie patty.
Cheese – If you love cheddar cheese, then you will be pleased that there is plenty of cheddar cheese in a Nandos veggie burger. And you can tell the difference and it makes it taste so good.
Seasonings – As well as the typical Nandos burger marinade, you will also want to add some fresh coriander and some salt and pepper.
Extras – You will also find pumpkin seeds, red onion, and chopped garlic in a nandos burger.
Crumbs – Then for the final nandos beanie burger recipe ingredient, you will need some breadcrumbs to bind everything together. What I did was add some to the mix and then rolled the just made beanie burgers in the remaining breadcrumbs. And unlike the ones we ate in Nandos these stayed together perfectly.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this Nando’s veggie burger recipe it has been our Cosori Air Fryer (we have this one) and its fantastic for a huge range of air fryer recipes.
We also used our Thermomix for blending together the beanie patty ingredients. You could use the same or any food processor or blender will do the trick.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our air fryer recipes category as we have more than 500 tried and tested air fryer recipes and have been air frying for 10 years.
How To Cook A Nandos Beanie Burger?
- Prep. Prior to making your beanie burgers I recommend that you cook the green lentils and allow them to cool. Then collect the ingredients because there is quite a few and it will help you organise yourself.
- Dump. Place into a blender your main ingredients and pulse until you have a smooth beanie burger patty.
- Bind. Place into a bowl your blended burgers and some breadcrumbs and mix together to make beanie burgers. Then roll in extra breadcrumbs until well coated.
- Cook. After making your beanie patties load them into the air fryer and cook for 12 minutes at 180c/3690f or until heated through.
- Finish. You can serve as is, or load into burger buns with extra nandos marinade and burger garnish.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to make nando’s vegetarian burgers and why you should be doing it too!
Beanie Burger Nandos Tips & Tricks
- Forget spending hours squeezing out the water from the chickpeas and crunching them with your hands, just load into the food processor and let it do the hard work.
- The cheddar cheese helps the burgers bind together well. You can make our beanie burgers vegan by using a vegan cheese sub.
- Love Nandos and want more inspiration? Then follow our series and make Nandos chicken wings, Nandos spicy rice, Nandos chicken or see our full list of Nando recipes that you can make at home.
- You can also make beanie burgers when you have leftover lentils and peas that need using up.
- When mixing the nandos burger patties cover your hands in breadcrumbs. This will stop the burgers from sticking to your hands as you mix them.
- Note the cook time is JUST 12 minutes because you have cooked ingredients and are simply warming up the ingredients rather than cooking.
- You can freeze your Nandos beanie burgers and then follow our reheat air fryer burger instructions.
- I recommend serving your nandos beanies recipe with our instant pot spicy rice. It’s the best rice ever and they go so well together.
- A classic beanie burger from Nandos will be tossed in barbecue sauce at the end. We prefer ours with some extra mayo and ketchup but you can do this instead if you prefer.
More Air Fryer Veggie Burgers
- Air Fryer Lentil Burgers
- Air Fryer Frozen Veggie Burgers
- Air Fryer Homemade Veggie Burgers
- Air Fryer Zucchini Burgers
Your nandos burger recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Nandos Beanie Burger In Air Fryer
Beanie Burger Garnish
- Cosori Air Fryer
- Load all your burger patty ingredients into your Thermomix and mix on speed 5 for 2 minutes.
- After mixing load into a bowl your burger patty mix and breadcrumbs and mix well with breadcrumb hands until combined.
- Then roll the patties in extra breadcrumbs.
- Load the beanie burger patties into the air fryer basket over foil and cook for 12 minutes at 180c/360f.
- When the air fryer beeps add lemon juice to mayo and add a layer at the bottom of the burger bun, then add lettuce, then sliced tomato, then burger, then mix ketchup with marinade before adding the burger lid. Rinse and repeat for the final 3 burgers.