Air Fryer Zucchini Burgers. My best zucchini burgers are loaded with chickpeas and zucchini and make a delicious homemade zucchini burger for cooking in the air fryer. Even better these zucchini burgers are vegan, vegetarian and plant based. They also make a perfect hidden veggie recipe for fussy kids.
Air Fryer Zucchini Burgers isa delicious Air Fryer Veggie Burger favourite. Updated after originally posting on RecipeThis.com in March 2016. We hope you love our updated Air Fryer Zucchini Burgers as much as we do!
Air Fryer Zucchini Burgers
I am going to dedicate my Air Fryer Zucchini Burgers to my daughter Sofia. During Sofia’s pregnancy back in the summer of 2014 I had the joy of a different type of morning sickness.
Unlike with previous pregnancies when I would feel sick at certain times, I had the joy of feeling like I was going to be sick whenever I was exposed to meat.
This brought out a temporary vegetarian in me and I was always looking for new and exciting ways to make meaty meals vegetarian.
One thing I can never live without is my burgers. I mean who can’t?
So, through the first months of pregnancy I tried all kinds of meat alternatives and this was one of my favourites.
I was also a vegetarian for many years and just love the capabilities of what can be made with the likes of zucchini and other similar vegetables. I even got my meat obsessed hubby eating them!
Homemade Zucchini Burgers
My homemade zucchini burgers are made from chickpeas and zucchini instead of minced/ground beef. This is something you shouldn’t knock until you have tried it and as soon as you do you will be in absolute food heaven if you have cooked it in the Airfryer.
The air fryer has the ability to make your homemade zucchini burgers, crispy and moist without that overly dry taste that veggie burgers can often give you.
My homemade zucchini burgers are also incredibly easy to make. It’s a case of prepping the zucchini burger ingredients in a bowl, removing excess liquid and forming into burger shapes.
Making it much cheaper than buying shop bought frozen veggie burgers.
Adding Zucchini To Burgers
Frequently, when I am showing you how to add zucchini into recipes, I complain about how wet and watery zucchini is.
Well this means that when adding zucchini to burgers you need to be careful.
Zucchini needs to be squeezed out and all excess liquid removed. Once this has been done zucchini makes an excellent ingredient for veggie burgers.
Simple Zucchini Burgers
I call these air fryer zucchini burgers my simple zucchini burgers. This is because you can swap your seasonings for whatever cuisine you’re in the mood for.
Last time we had zucchini burgers I had some Indian seasoned chickpeas in my fridge. As Dominic hates Indian food and was not eating with us, I turned my simple zucchini burgers into Indian zucchini burgers.
That was just by using the base of my simple zucchini burgers and adding in extra seasoning.
You could do the same. You could make your simple zucchini burgers into:
- Thai Zucchini Burgers – Add in a teaspoon of Thai seasoning or ¼ tsp of red Thai curry paste.
- Greek Zucchini Burgers – Add lemon, garlic and a little dill for a Greek flavouring.
- Jamaican Zucchini Burgers – Add a teaspoon or two of jerk seasoning for the ultimate Jamaican veggie burgers.
Just think about what seasonings you have in, or what are your favourites and make our simple zucchini burgers into your own masterpiece.
Healthy Zucchini Burgers
Because my air fryer zucchini burgers are made with a few simple healthy ingredients they are perfect for eating healthy.
The main ingredients that go into our healthy zucchini burgers are:
- Spring Onion
- Dried Herbs
Each of the above ingredients are perfect for the plant-based diet, vegans, vegetarians and low carb. It is also an excellent gluten free choice, great for hidden veggie meals and perfect for those that are on Slimming World or Weight Watchers.
For me, I just love them because they include ingredients I always have in and are a great use of spare zucchini.
How To Make Zucchini Burgers In The Air Fryer?
When making zucchini and chickpea burgers in the air fryer I recommend that you have a simple system in place.
- You plan what seasonings you would like in your zucchini burgers and get your seasonings out of the pantry.
- You grate the zucchini and drain the chickpeas.
- You remove excess liquid from the chickpeas and zucchini so that they are ready to be made into homemade veggie burgers.
- Season and bind your zucchini burgers together.
After this your zucchini and chickpea burgers are ready to be cooked in the air fryer.
Zucchini Burgers With Yoghurt Sauce
I love to have my zucchini burgers with yoghurt sauce. To make your yoghurt sauce I recommend combining the following ingredients:
- Greek Yoghurt
- Lemon Juice
- Grated Garlic
It will then taste like a mix between alioli and Greek marinade.
MORE Air Fryer Healthy Veggie Recipes
I love cooking vegetables in the air fryer. Zucchini burgers is one of my favourites, but these other air fryer veggie recipes are delicious too.
Here are a few more Air Fryer Veggie Recipes:
- Air Fryer Veggie Fries
- Air Fryer Carrot Fries
- Air Fryer Kale Chips
- Air Fryer Lentil Burgers
- Air Fryer Vegan Meatballs
Air Fryer Zucchini Burgers
- 4 Tbsp Greek Yoghurt
- ½ Small Lemon juice only
- ¼ Garlic Clove grated
- Grate your zucchini and drain the excess water from the zucchini and the chickpeas.
- Thinly slice the spring onion and add the seasoning and spring onion to a bowl with the zucchini and chickpeas.
- Bind the ingredients into zucchini burgers.
- Place the veggie burgers in the air fryer grill pan and cook in the air fryer for 12 minutes at 200c/400f.
- While the zucchini burgers are cooking make your yoghurt sauce. Place the yoghurt sauce ingredients into a small bowl and mix with a fork.
- When cooked sprinkle fresh chives over your zucchini burgers and serve with your yoghurt sauce and some lettuce.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: