This Post Contains Affiliate Links. Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Want wilted spinach fast that keeps its nutrients? Then let me introduce you to microwave spinach. It is fast, it is easy, and it tastes delicious.
I will show you how to steam spinach in microwave including what seasonings and extras to add to make it the best spinach you have ever tasted.
Steam Spinach In Microwave
My aunt was the first person to introduce me to spinach in the microwave. It was way back in the 80’s when the microwave was becoming more and more popular.
I would watch as she would use the microwave to wilt her spinach and cook it with butter, light seasoning, stir it and then eat it for a quick snack for herself.
She would make me some too and I thought it was the best tasting veggie dish ever.
Years later, here I am sharing with you microwave spinach using a steamer basket, seasoning and of course the butter.
If you want a way to keep the nutrients on the spinach, wilt it fast without getting a pan out, then this steamed spinach in the microwave recipe is just perfect for YOU!
Best Way To Cook Spinach?
The best way to cook spinach is in the microwave. My aunt (and so many others) have been using the microwave to cook spinach for many years.
You can of course cook spinach in a pan, but when you steam spinach in the microwave it also gets rid of the excess water into the bottom of the steamer as it cooks. Which is an extra added benefit to the microwave method as spinach carries a lot of water.
Should You Boil Spinach?
No, I don’t recommend boiling spinach. The BIGGEST reason is that when you cook ANY veggie in a pan of boiling water it removes its nutrients and stops spinach been the healthy veggie that we love.
Also when you boil spinach its easy for it to retain the water and this leads to flavourless spinach.
Can You Microwave Spinach?
Yes, you sure can microwave spinach and it’s amazing too.
There are a few options for microwaving spinach, such as loading onto a plate or a bowl and covering with cling film.
Though my favourite is to use my steamer bowl as it is perfect for a large bag of fresh spinach leaves.
Can You Wilt Spinach In The Microwave?
Yes, you can. It’s a really quick way to wilt spinach ahead of adding it to another meal that you are making. Such as wanting some wilted spinach to go in a pasta dish.
When you wilt spinach in the microwave, you just cook it for a little longer than regular steamed spinach, just to make sure it is fully wilted.
Would you like easy & amazing microwave recipes from microwave experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST microwave beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful microwave resources.
Spinach Microwave Ingredients
Spinach – The sad thing about spinach is that it wilts down to almost nothing. That means that when you cook fresh spinach in the microwave you will need quite a lot. I used one full bag of fresh spinach and you will see from the photos how much it made!
Water – To steam spinach in the microwave you will need a tablespoon of water into the bottom of your steamer basket.
Seasoning – Then for seasoning your spinach I recommend you keep it simple with salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic puree.
Butter – Wilted spinach in the microwave is just not the same without the addition of butter or margarine. I recommend that you steam your spinach with the butter and then it will melt into it as it wilts.
Optional – Then after the microwave has beeped I recommend moving to a serving dish and adding a little cheese. Then a quick microwave later to melt the cheese over the spinach.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this microwave fresh spinach recipe it has just been our Panasonic Microwave Oven. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of microwave recipes.
As well as your microwave you will need a good steamer basket that will fit in your microwave. We recommend this one.
How To Prep Spinach?
There is not much to spinach in the microwave and prepping the spinach is so easy. You just need to give the spinach a good wash using a sieve and then season it well before microwaving.
It amazes me how dirty and gritty the spinach can be when purchased prepped in the bag from the supermarket.
You can also mix and match the seasonings and I love to use garlic puree with mine. As nothing beats garlic, cheese and butter combined.
Or you can follow our microwave roasted garlic recipe that we shared yesterday and use that as your garlic.
How To Steam Spinach In Microwave?
- Liquid. Start by adding a tablespoon of water to the bottom of your steamer basket. This is so that you can perfectly steam your spinach.
- Prep. Give your spinach a good clean with a sieve/colander and then load into the steamer bowl.
- Load. Add your seasonings and mix well and then add margarine or butter over the top. It will then melt into the spinach as it wilts.
- Microwave. Then place the lid on your steamer and then load your steamer basket into the microwave. Microwave your fresh spinach for 2 minutes.
- Cheese. Then stir your spinach and transfer to a serving dish. Add cheese and then microwave again for one last minute.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is cooking fresh spinach in the microwave and why it is a firm favourite of mine for a quick veggie side dish for dinner.
How Long To Cook Fresh Spinach?
The microwave spinach cook time is JUST 2 minutes. Isn’t that AMAZING? Plus an extra minute to melt the cheese into the spinach.
I can’t think of a quicker cooking veggie that you could serve for dinner that also has such little prep time.
Microwavable Spinach Tips & Tricks
- Don’t skip the step of cleaning the spinach. Otherwise as the spinach wilts you will end up with a gritty texture from the dirt on the spinach.
- You can keep the seasoning simple of spinach with just salt and pepper and then add your favourite dried herbs.
- For the ultimate healthy lunch serve your spinach with our air fryer frozen salmon.
- If you have leftovers, leave in the fridge, and reheat in the microwave the next day.
Top Microwave Trick – Add the water first, as you don’t want to be pouring water over your just seasoned veggies. Then add fresh spinach and you are ready to microwave.
Listen To Microwave Spinach
Want to learn more about our Podcast? Then click here and you can browse through past episodes and subscribe to the Magic With Gadgets Podcast.
More Microwave Recipes
- Microwave Corn On The Cob
- Microwave Jacket Potatoes
- Microwave Poached Eggs
- Microwave Soft Boiled Eggs
- Microwave Hard Boiled Eggs
Your microwave spinach recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free ebooks and useful cook time charts and so much more.
- 200 g Bag Fresh Spinach
- 1 Tsp Garlic Puree
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Tsp Light I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter
- 20 g Grated Parmesan Cheese optional
- Place one tablespoon of water in the bottom of your steamer basket.
- Give your fresh spinach a good wash with a sieve and then add to the steamer basket. Add your seasonings and mix with your hands for an even coating. Cover the top of the spinach with butter or margarine.
- Place the lid on the steamer and then place in the microwave.
- Microwave for 2 minutes. Though check on it at 1 minute as your wattage might be higher than ours.
- When it beeps load into a serving dish that is microwave safe, being careful to not add the water from the steamer bowl. Then cover the top with parmesan cheese.
- Microwave for a further minute before serving.
A great way to do spinach. It tasted amazing and so quick, I will always cook my spinach this way from now on.
I have always been into nutrition since 16,but I was in a controlling situation day in & day out as a teen/ in young adult,I never did have fresh spinached steamed, so I wanna thank you for this way of steam8ng it & alsoadding this stuff that makes it sound so yummy. I look forward to trying it soon. I will continue to always fix it that way too yummybut a healthy way