Are you looking for the fastest way to cook spaghetti squash? Then let me introduce you to simple microwave spaghetti squash.
You will love microwave spaghetti squash. It is simple, it tastes amazing and its ready and waiting for your air fryer meatballs.
Table of Contents
Spaghetti Squash In Microwave
One of our favourite uses for the microwave is for cooking vegetables. What I often do on a Sunday is steam vegetables in the microwave and then use them to make my favourite air fryer frittata.
It speeds up the cooking process by a LOT and that is what I love the most about the microwave.
We can use the microwave as our time saver. Many have done this for many, many years with microwave jacket potatoes so why not with other veggies, or even to fully cook the veggies in the microwave.
Add to this, that in recent research it has been confirmed that the microwave out of all kitchen gadgets uses the least amount of electricity, so a win-win on your energy bill too.
Today, I wanted to share with you one of the best microwave vegetable wins and that is microwave spaghetti squash. A food that I struggled to buy until moving back to the UK and a vegetable I fell in love with.
We have also played about with microwave squash cook times to get it just right for you.
Can You Put Squash In A Microwave?
Yes, you can put squash in a microwave. So far, I have cooked microwave pumpkin, microwave butternut squash and my personal favourite microwave spaghetti squash.
Can You Cook Spaghetti Squash In A Microwave?
Yes, you can. You will be amazed by how delicious and how quick spaghetti squash in the microwave is.
You can then fork your spaghetti squash and serve it with your favourite traditional spaghetti dishes, such as our air fryer frozen meatballs.
How To Cook Spaghetti Squash Fast?
The FASTEST way to cook spaghetti squash is in the microwave. This week on Recipe This, we are having spaghetti squash week. We are doing instant pot spaghetti squash, air fryer spaghetti squash and of course, microwave spaghetti squash.
From various experiments we found that the microwave sprinted ahead of the instant pot and the air fryer, to be the fastest way.
But you can also use the microwave to get it going I.e. microwave spaghetti squash before cutting and then use the air fryer if you want the baked effect.
Is It Better To Microwave Or Bake Spaghetti Squash?
I much prefer to microwave spaghetti squash rather than to bake it. For one its much cheaper, as we all know a spaghetti squash takes a long time in the oven.
Then secondly, its much faster to microwave your spaghetti squash. You can have your spaghetti squash cooked in less time than it takes for a takeaway to be delivered.
Would you like easy & amazing microwave recipes from microwave experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST microwave beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful microwave resources.
Spaghetti Squash Microwave Ingredients
Squash – You will need a medium whole spaghetti squash. We weighed ours so that when we did the microwave cook times you can compare it to your own. Our spaghetti squash cooked in the microwave weighed 1.8kg which is 4lbs.
Water – When cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave you will need some water. This is used when we half the squash and the squash cooks flesh side into the water.
Seasoning – Then for seasoning your spaghetti squash I normally add some salt and pepper.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this spaghetti squash microwave recipe it has just been our Panasonic Microwave Oven. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of microwave recipes.
As well as your microwave you will need a large dish that will fit your spaghetti squash in, that can also hold some water. I recommend a glass quiche dish like this one.
How To Cook Spaghetti Squash In The Microwave?
- Fork. Start by forking the skin of your spaghetti squash so that it can breathe as it cooks and won’t explode.
- Load. Next load your whole spaghetti squash into the microwave and cook for 8 minutes.
- Beeps. When the microwave beeps, remove it, and then slice it in half lengthways. Then use a spoon to remove the seeds and put them to one side for air fryer spaghetti squash seeds.
- Shallow. Then add a little water to a quiche dish and place your spaghetti squash flesh side down into the dish.
- Microwave. Then place the dish with your spaghetti squash half back into the microwave and cook for a further 10 minutes. Then repeat this again for the other half side and you now have perfect spaghetti squash.
- Fork. Now back to that fork and place your cooked spaghetti squash halves skin side down out of the water and carefully fork the spaghetti until you have done all the flesh.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to microwave a spaghetti squash and why it is one of my favourite foods of fall.
How Long To Microwave Spaghetti Squash?
I experimented a LOT with spaghetti squash in the microwave and found that what worked best was an 18 minute cook time.
This included microwaving whole spaghetti squash first for 8 minutes, and then cooking flesh side down for a final 10 minutes.
Microwaving Spaghetti Squash Tips & Tricks
- Spaghetti squash lasts quite a while uncooked whole in a dark cold room. We cooked our microwave squash 2 months after we bought it from a local farmer.
- I like it season my squash with just salt and pepper. Then the hero of the seasonings happens with what you serve with your spaghetti such as meatballs.
- I was taught to microwave spaghetti squash for 10 minutes then slice and carry on cooking. This led to a much longer cook time, so focus on a first cook of 8 minutes.
- If you want to reheat spaghetti squash load it onto a dinner plate, then add tomato sauce to the top. Then microwave for 2 minutes to serve with our air fryer frozen meatballs.
Top Microwave Trick – Use a quiche dish. They are the perfect size for a little water in the bottom and to hold a large half of a squash.
More Microwave Veggie Recipes
- Microwave Broccoli
- Microwave Cauliflower
- Microwave Brussel Sprouts
- Microwave Corn On The Cob
- Microwave Carrots
- Microwave Green Beans
- Microwave Asparagus
Your recipe for microwave spaghetti squash is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free ebooks and useful cook time charts and so much more.
Microwave Spaghetti Squash
- 1.8 kg Whole Spaghetti Squash
- Salt & Pepper
- Glass Quiche Dish
- Using a fork, fork the whole spaghetti squash so that it can breathe during the cooking process.
- Place the whole spaghetti squash in the microwave and cook for 8 minutes.
- Remove the spaghetti squash and slice it in half lengthways like you do with a melon.
- Then using a spoon remove all the seeds and put to one side.
- Add warm water from the tap to a quiche dish and then place one of your halves flesh side down into the water. Then place the quiche dish into the microwave and microwave for a further 10 minutes. Rinse and repeat for the other half of the squash.
- Then remove from the quiche dish and place the spaghetti squash on a clean worktop and complete the process of forking the spaghetti squash until you have a huge dish of spaghetti squash. Then season before serving.