Air Fryer Butternut Squash. Introducing you to delicious, crispy, butternut squash cubes that are the best healthy plan B to air fryer roast potatoes that you have ever tried. Loaded with flavour and perfect for learning how to cook squash in air fryer.
Air Fryer Butternut Squash
If you read our air fryer butternut squash fries recipe yesterday, then you will know it is butternut squash week on Recipe This.
I love how easy it is to mislead kids with vegetables when they are going through a fussy vegetable phase.
Jorge at 3 years old (OMG he will be four this month) sees any orange vegetable and assumes it is a carrot.
Claims he hates butternut squash and sweet potatoes but tell him it’s a carrot and it’s eaten before you have finished your sentence.
Or when he says he hates zucchini, but if we make him his favourite air fryer zucchini fritters, they are gone in a flash.
But with butternut squash I love it so much that I just don’t want to share it. Sometimes when I make yummy butternut squash in the air fryer, I just wish he wasn’t as easily fooled.
If you have wanted to cook butternut squash in the air fryer, but just didn’t know how, then this is for you.
Can You Cook Squash In An Air Fryer?
Yes you can! Squash in the air fryer is one of my favourite paleo breakfasts and one that I have whenever I have spare squash in.
What we tend to do here in the Milner’s is buy a large pumpkin and then slice and dice it and save it in bowls in the fridge.
You can use butternut squash or pumpkin as it has the same cook time and prep methods.
Air Fried Butternut Squash
What style are you looking for when you want to cook air fried butternut squash? Because the air fryer is great for many methods.
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash Chunks – I love the frozen butternut squash chunks that I buy from Makro. Perfect for loading into the air fryer and serving as squash hash for breakfast. Reduce the cook time by 30% if cooking butternut squash chunks as they are much smaller and cook quicker.
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash Cubes – The type of butternut squash that I am showing you how to cook today. Butternut squash cubes are perfect for the air fryer as you can use them on leftover bits of butternut squash.
- Air Fryer Roasted Butternut Squash – Make your butternut squash cubes a little larger and make air fryer roasted butternut squash. Increase the cook time by 20% to make up for the larger size. You will be amazed just how good the roast potato alternative is.
- Weight Watchers Roasted Butternut Squash – If you follow Weight Watchers our roasted butternut squash cubes are ideal. They are the perfect portion size and best of all little oil is required.
How To Cook Squash In Air Fryer?
Cooking butternut squash in air fryer is EASY.
- Peel and slice your butternut squash and remove the seeds from the butternut squash.
- Dice into medium sized cubes.
- Load into a bowl with seasonings and olive oil. Mix with your hands until well coated.
- Load butternut squash into the air fryer basket and cook for 15 minutes on a lower temperature.
- Check that the butternut squash fries are cooked and then shake and cook for a final 5 minutes on a medium temperature.
- Serve with your favourite sides.
Butternut Squash Air Fryer Time
The perfect cook time for air fryer butternut squash is JUST 20 minutes. It involves a 15 minute low temperature cook to get the butternut squash cooked in the inside.
Then its followed up with a 5 minute medium temperature cook which makes your butternut squash crispy and will remind you of roasted squash.
Air Fryer Butternut Squash Cubes
- Peel and slice your butternut squash into butternut squash cubes, making sure you get rid of all the seeds.
- Remove any fleshy/soft bits of butternut squash.
- Load your butternut squash into a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix well with your hands.
- Load the butternut squash cubes into the air fryer and cook for 15 minutes at 160c/320f.
- Shake the air fryer basket and test with a fork that your butternut squash is cooked.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes at 180c/360f to make your butternut squash crispy like roasted butternut squash.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: