Welcome to my frugal meals: one chicken 3 family meals – Spanish tray bake chicken recipe.
Now I LOVE this recipe. I love Spanish food and as a child I had many holidays in Spain and have travelled all over Spain over the years. Living in Portugal we are now just an hour and a bit away from the border and whenever we fancy some Spanish cuisine, we can just go off and get some!
- Easy to make tray bake = tick
- Favourite childhood flavours of Spain = tick
- Comes with a healthy sauce = tick
I mean seriously what else is there when you want to make a quick lunch for your hubby when you are tired and you just want to go back to baby brick building with your toddler?
I rotate between this and my favourite honey mustard version. I like this one because it comes with a sauce and you make it in just the one dish and it tastes delicious.
I have noticed a lot of Spanish chicken recipes doing the rounds at the moment. I think it started with one and then a lot of people have copied the formula. But sadly they have not had any Spanish flavours in them and it has made me desperate to show you how good Spanish chicken can taste and that it shouldn’t look like a chicken korma.
I also put it on the frugal list for my 3 ways with 1 chicken because this dish can be 60% vegetables and you can use it for your chicken that is on the bone. If you’re cooking for two (like I am) then a wing, thigh and drumstick each is perfect and it is so filling.
So let’s get cooking!
[Tweet “#Frugal Meals: 1 #Chicken = 3 Family Meals ( #Spanish tray bake chicken) @recipe_this”]
How Frugal Is Spanish Chicken?
Our Spanish chicken works out at 3,43€ for a family of four or 0,85€ each. Or if you are based in America then this is just $0.98 per mouth that you have to feed!
- 2 Chicken Wings
- 2 Chicken Thighs
- 2 Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 Large Onion (peeled and diced)
- 1 Medium Courgette (sliced)
- 1 Large Carrot (peeled and diced)
- 1 Small Broccoli (chopped into florets)
- 1Tsp Garlic Puree
- 150ml Red Wine
- 1 Can Tinned Tomatoes
- 1Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1Tsp Thyme
- 1Tsp Paprika
- 1Tsp Oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat your oven to your max which for us is 240c.
- Get out a large casserole dish and place in it all your vegetables, add your seasoning, garlic puree, red wine and tinned tomatoes. Mix well until everything is nicely seasoned and moist.
- Place your chicken pieces on top. Massage the skin with the olive oil and then season the chicken skin with extra salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven on a 240c heat for about 50 minutes.
- After 60 minutes turn your chicken, mix your vegetables so that they are not burning on the bottom and generally stir your casserole.
- Cook for a further 20 minutes and then serve with warm crusty bread.
We have put together 22 favourite frugal recipes for you to enjoy and also frugal diaries, frugal tips and so much more. They are delicious recipes that any family would be happy to have on the dinner table.
Forget a life of frozen chickens and frozen vegetables this is your chance to enjoy real food at the same time as saving money.
These are in fact the recipes we personally used when we went frugal.
This ebook is just $2.99 on the Kindle and you can get your hands on it by clicking here.