This Post Contains Affiliate Links. Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Air Fryer Chicken Skewers. How to cook chicken skewers in the air fryer, along with any other skewers themed meat, fish or vegetables. Aimed at users of the Air Fryer Oven, but suitable for doing in any air fryer, these chicken skewers are perfect for quick hassle free family dinners.
Table of Contents
Air Fryer Chicken Skewers
I am extremely excited to share with you our recipe today for air fryer chicken skewers.
It is partly out of guilt because sometimes it feels like we don’t produce enough recipes for our readers of air fryer ovens.
The bulk has already gone on it and it just does not measure up compared to what the Philips Air Fryer can do.
But what the Air Fryer Oven is fantastic for is cooking larger meals where you would want to use two shelves like our air fryer pork tenderloin or when you can rotate food like our air fryer roast duck.
Or our most recent air fryer oven recipe for air fryer oven chicken drumsticks.
But today I wanted to introduce you to the skewers that you can cook with in the air fryer oven.
A feature I have hardly used, but still great for a quick dinner or supper.
In fact, when we made these air fryer skewers for the first time we were very busy making a big batch of various ice cream maker vanilla ice creams and didn’t have the time for messing about with dinner.
We were able to dump the chicken skewers into the air fryer oven, attached to the skewer feature and the air fryer oven did the work for us.
Then we all stood in the kitchen arguing who got the best flavoured one and dumping the very spicy piri piri on Kyle!
Air Fryer Oven Chicken Skewers
These air fryer oven skewers are fantastic. They attach inside your air fryer and then rotate and cook chicken skewers in a similar way to a Turkish restaurant.
You can do this with any mix of kebabs that you want to eat.
They could be all vegetarian, vegan, chicken, lamb, beef, steak, pork or even shrimp.
To make it a bit more fun, for our experiment of air fryer skewers, we bought lots of different kebabs from the butchers with different marinades. We put several different marinated kebabs onto the skewers to see how they turned out.
Our air fryer skewers were loaded with:
- Lamb Garden Mint
- Piri Piri Chicken
- Sweet Chili Chicken
- Barbecue Chicken
- Tandoori Chicken
Firstly, we found that the sticks of kebabs sold at the butchers were slightly too big and used scissors to trim them down slightly.
Then we found it easy to load the kebabs onto the skewers.
We avoided marinating our own because we would have to buy in so many ingredients for each marinade, that it was much cheaper to buy them from the butchers already done.
You can use any marinade you have at home or a shop bought one and then follow our instructions for air fryer skewer cook times and adapt them to how you want them at home.
If you have not done the air fryer oven skewers before, I would highly recommend it.
Its no harder than loading marinated meat onto a barbecue, yet you can do it any time of the year and it evenly cooks as it rotates.
How To Cook Chicken Skewers In Air Fryer?
Cooking chicken skewers in the air fryer is so EASY:
- Dice chicken breasts and load into marinade.
- Marinade your chicken for a couple of hours.
- The next day load onto kebab skewers and load into the air fryer oven.
- Let the chicken skewers rotate in the air fryer.
- Serve when it beeps.
Chicken Skewers In Air Fryer
If you want a cheat’s way of cooking chicken skewers in the air fryer, then go with the 2 ingredient skewers method:
- Grab chicken chunks that are of the right size to make great chicken kebabs.
- Grab your favourite marinade sauce.
- Marinate the chicken in the sauce for a couple of hours.
- Load onto skewers
You can do this to mix and match with any favourite marinade sauce or any meat, fish or vegetable that fits well on skewers.
How Long To Air Fry Chicken Skewers
The air fryer chicken skewers cooking time is JUST 30 minutes on a high heat.
It would be longer if using a regular air fryer basket, because they would not be able to rotate the chicken and the chicken has more space to be able to cook quicker.
Our Verdict On Air Fryer Chicken Skewers
Cooking air fryer chicken skewers (and lamb) has been a new cooking experience in the air fryer oven.
What we learnt about air fryer chicken skewers was:
- At full capacity they tend to fall off. We filled it to the max and found that 2 fell off and had to be reattached to finish cooking. Our readers have told us this is common.
- Wet marinades work best. A wet sticky marinade like tandoori or piri piri will bring you the best results and keep your chicken moist. Our agreed favourite was the tandoori because thanks to the yoghurt marinade made the texture the best.
- Messy air fryer tray. After cooking we noticed there was a lot of mess in the air fryer tray because of the marinade. Next time we will line the tray with silver foil to make clear up easier.
- It cooks a lot at once. There is often the complaint with an air fryer of how much you can cook. But with the air fryer oven you can load 5 large chicken skewers and feed 5 people.
Overall, we were very impressed and if you are thinking of cooking air fryer skewers then add it to your to do list.
Listen To Air Fryer Chicken Skewers
Want to learn more about our Podcast? Then click here and you can browse through past episodes and subscribe to the Magic With Gadgets Podcast.
Air Fryer Chicken Skewers
- Load your kebabs onto the skewers and if too long trim down the kebabs slightly.
- Make sure the skewers are properly attached to the air fryer oven.
- Cook for 30 minutes at 200c/400f.
- At 10 minutes and at 20 minutes double check and make sure the chicken skewers are still attached.