Air Fryer Butternut Squash Fries. Introducing you to delicious, crispy, homemade butternut squash fries cooked in the air fryer. If you are looking for healthy air fryer butternut squash this is where to start.
Air Fryer Butternut Squash Fries
But what I have not shared with you before is how to cook air fryer butternut squash fries, which out of the above is my favourite.
Probably because I am a HUGE butternut squash fan and I am incredibly lucky to live in Portugal where butternut squash is often available most of the year.
The only time it seems to go out of season is early summer and soon goes back into season by late August.
The Portuguese are not big on the air fryer and instead will enjoy butternut squash and pumpkin in soups and pasta dishes rather than as an alternative to French Fries.
It got me thinking that we all have our favourite way for enjoying butternut squash. That’s why I am kick starting this week with a week dedicated to butternut squash.
If you love butternut squash as much as me, then this week is dedicated to you.
People like my husband Dominic that overall hate it, then I recommend the air fryer recipes category and to explore for other recipes that include your own favourite foods.
Can You Air Fry Butternut Squash?
Yes you can! The air fryer is fantastic for air frying butternut squash or any other squash that you like to eat.
Butternut squash holds a lot of water and for cooking in the air fryer this is perfect. That is because it has a quicker cook time and doesn’t go as mushy as when you instant pot butternut squash.
Paleo Butternut Squash Fries
My obsession with butternut squash fries started when I first started the Paleo diet back in 2015. Before that it was a food that I rarely bought.
If you follow Paleo and want paleo butternut squash fries then I recommend this recipe and using an air fryer.
Paleo butternut squash fries taste like regular air fryer fries and you can mix and match seasoning to suit what you are serving your squash fries with.
Butternut Squash Fries Recipe Ingredients
To make homemade butternut squash fries in the air fryer, you only need the following ingredients:
- Butternut Squash
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Favourite Dried Seasonings
- Salt & Pepper
My favourite seasoning is to use garlic powder and bouquet garni. It gives a good mix of flavour and works well with a seasonal vegetable like butternut squash. But you might have your own favourite seasoning that works better for you.
How To Cook Butternut Squash In Air Fryer?
Cooking butternut squash in air fryer is EASY.
- Peel and slice your butternut squash into vegetable fries.
- Load into a bowl with seasonings and olive oil. Mix with your hands until well coated.
- Load butternut squash fries into the air fryer basket and cook for 12 minutes on a lower temperature.
- Check that the butternut squash fries are cooked and then shake and cook for a final 2 minutes on a medium temperature.
- Serve with your favourite dipping sauce.
How Long To Air Fry Butternut Squash?
The perfect cook time for air fryer butternut squash fries is JUST 14 minutes. It is important that your temperature stays lower than classic French fries because you will over cook and burn the butternut squash.
How To Make Butternut Squash Fries Crispy?
The secret of making butternut squash fries crispy is to do three things:
- Cook your butternut squash on two different temperatures – Butternut squash is a delicate vegetable to cook and two temperatures will stop mushy fries.
- Stick to similar sizes – By making sure your butternut squash fries are a similar size will mean that they will cook equally. You will not be left with undercooked fries and overcooked fries in the same air fryer basket.
- Remove fleshy bits of butternut squash – When you peel and chop a butternut squash you will often find softer very fleshy bits. These do not make good squash fries and should be reserved for another recipe.
Air Fryer Butternut Squash Fries
- Peel and slice your butternut squash into butternut squash fries.
- Remove any fleshy/soft bits of butternut squash. Slice into fries.
- Load your butternut squash into a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix well with your hands.
- Load the butternut squash fries into the air fryer and cook for 12 minutes at 160c/320f.
- Shake the air fryer basket and test with a fork that your butternut squash fries are cooked.
- Cook for a further 2 minutes at 180c/360f to make your butternut squash fries crispy. Serve with your favourite dipping sauce.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: