Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup. How to make a delicious creamy instant pot butternut squash soup. This butternut squash pressure cooker recipe can be made with either fresh or frozen butternut squash, is loaded with red lentils and uses no cream. Perfect for a healthy instant pot soup and vegan and gluten free too.
Table of Contents
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
This was followed up with instant pot butternut squash cubes and today it is all about a creamy instant pot butternut squash soup.
Are you a “must eat soup because its healthy and I need to detox” or a “I love soup and could eat it every day”?
I can tell you now that my husband Dominic is the first and I am the second and my younger kids follow my lead and my oldest son complains whenever I feed him soup.
I love soup and it is one of those favourite comfort foods from childhood and I see it as this easy lunch to make for me and my family.
I also love soup as a cream of everything alternative and always have a good batch of soup in the freezer.
But if you are more like my husband Dominic and will put up with it every now and again, then let me introduce you to the truly best instant pot soup and that is easy butternut squash soup in instant pot.
It’s one of those meals I put on when I am feeling too tired to cook or I have raced back from grocery shopping and everyone is starving hungry.
Best Instant Pot Butternut Squash Recipe
What I love most about my best instant pot butternut squash recipe is that it ticks all the boxes.
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash No Cream – I never add cream to a soup because I feel it doesn’t need it and is good enough without.
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup With Coconut Milk – But what I use instead is coconut milk in my soups. It gives a delicious creamy flavour and you will forget that your butternut squash soup is healthy. Plus, how many of us have spare coconut milk in our pantry?
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup Dairy Free – Plus, if you follow a dairy free diet, coconut milk works as a fantastic alternative. It also keeps your squash soup vegetarian and vegan friendly too.
- Instant Pot Blender Butternut Squash Soup Recipe – What I love most about making instant pot butternut squash soup, is that you can use a hand blender and blend it directly in the instant pot. Forget extra washing up and moving it to a big blender. Plus this is what we did when we went camping with our instant pot and had limited space.
Thanks to the red lentils and the Thai seasoning I would consider this instant pot butternut squash soup to be more of a curry soup. If you love Thai soups, then this is perfect for you. Or if you prefer Indian then swap it for Indian seasonings.
How To Make Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup?
Cooking butternut squash soup in the instant pot is one of the EASIEST EVER soup recipes.
- Peel and slice your butternut squash and remove the seeds from the butternut squash.
- Dice into small sized cubes.
- Add all ingredients to the instant pot and stir.
- Add the lid to the instant pot, set the valve to sealing and cook for 6 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, blend until you have smooth butternut squash soup.
Instant Pot Frozen Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
How instant pot frozen butternut squash differs to fresh, is that it is quicker and easier to make.
If you hate peeling and dicing butternut squash and want to throw everything into the instant pot at speed, then it is for YOU.
I am also a big fan of instant pot frozen vegetables because they prevent food waste and you can get frozen vegetables out of the freezer as and when you need them.
When you cook instant pot frozen butternut squash soup you need to do the following:
- Reduce the cook time from 6 minutes down to 4 minutes
- Increase the red lentils by 30%
This is because the frozen butternut squash is always blanched and has a quicker cook time. You need more red lentils because frozen vegetables carry more water and you don’t want a watery soup.
Butternut Squash Soup Instant Pot Time?
As mentioned above, the cook time for instant pot butternut squash soup is JUST 6 minutes. This allows for the butternut squash to be mushy enough to be easy to blend and for the red lentils to be fully cooked.
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Peel and slice your butternut squash into small butternut squash cubes, making sure you get rid of all the seeds.
- Add everything into the instant pot and mix.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and set the valve to sealing.
- Cook for 6 minutes on manual pressure cook.
- Using a hand blender, blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust with extra seasoning if needed.