This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
You will fall in love with this easiest ever instant pot Greek yoghurt. Made with just 2 simple ingredients and tastes so delicious you will want your spoon ready for a taste test.
Made with Fage total Greek yoghurt and UHT milk, this will be the instant pot yoghurt recipe that you will want to make time and time again.
Greek Yoghurt In Instant Pot
I have owned an instant pot for 5 years now and have a collection of more than 300 instant pot recipes that are perfect for beginners.
I have also started plenty of trends, such as being the first to do instant pot caramel from condensed milk, first to do instant pot beef stew & dumplings, the first to steam broccoli in the instant pot and so many others.
One instant pot trend that has passed me by is instant pot Greek yoghurt. I have wanted to make it so many times, but every recipe says that instant pot Greek yoghurt must be made with Fairlife milk. I noticed many others including me wondering what on earth Fairlife was and giving up from the stress of not been able to find an alternative when you don’t have it where you live.
I even tried with a few different milks and realised in Portugal, they never had the right milk, or the right yoghurt to use.
After some discussions with my fellow British readers, I decided to try one last time with long life British milk and some of my favourite 5% fat Greek yoghurt.
That way we could make a lower calorie version thanks to it being just 5% fat and also use the long life semi skimmed milk to again keep the calories down.
Well, it was amazing.
I would go as far as to say, the BEST yoghurt I have ever had in my life.
Today, I wanted to share with you exactly how to make Greek yoghurt in the instant pot without Fairlife milk.
Are You New To The Instant Pot?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular instant pot mini course which teaches you the instant pot basics in 5 days, we also have our instant pot bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy instant pot recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
Can You Make Greek Yoghurt In Instant Pot?
Yes, yes, yes, I want to shout from the rooftops that you most certainly can make Greek yoghurt in the instant pot. You can also use other Greek yoghurts such as a natural yoghurt.
Then you can add in extras such as our instant pot rolo yoghurt, which you guessed it, is loaded with rolo chocolate.
Why Make Yoghurt In Instant Pot?
Making yoghurt in the instant pot, is up there with instant pot black beans, instant pot veggie stock and instant pot cream of mushroom soup. You have always had the processed version, then you try the real thing and OMG you are in food heaven.
The hubby for example, is not that fussed for yoghurt but I couldn’t keep him out of the fridge snacking on it.
Beyond the taste, Greek yoghurt in an instant pot is so easy. There are only 2 ingredients, it chills in the fridge overnight and is ready for breakfast the next day.
What Is Fage Total Yoghurt?
You’re probably wondering what Fage Total Greek yoghurt is and why I use it in instant pot homemade yoghurt recipes.
Well, its creamy and has a much better taste than most yoghurt brands. It is also available in different fat percentages so that you can have it as low fat as you want.
Plus, Fage total carries the active cultures that you need to be able to make homemade yoghurt with.
Also, here are a few other facts about Fadge Greek Yoghurt:
- Made with only milk and yoghurt cultures
- High in protein
- Source of calcium
- Gluten free
- Additive and preservative free
- No added sugar
- 93 calories per 100g
What Is UHT Milk Yoghurt?
UHT yoghurt is made from UHT milk. Over in England UHT simply means ultra high temperature. And the milk will be heated to a high temperature in the factory for a couple of seconds. This will result in killing off a lot more bacteria than fresh milk.
UHT is also long life milk and because of the type of milk, it makes much better homemade yoghurt compared to other milks.
When we lived in Portugal the fresh milk hardly lasted and was very expensive so our whole time there, we only ever consumed long life milk.
Can You Make Fat Free Greek Yoghurt?
Yes, you sure can. Just opt for the 0% fat Fage Total. This is the only fat free yoghurt we have tried that has produced great results.
But whilst with a 5% fat yoghurt its optional to strain, its essential to strain with fat free otherwise it will be too runny.
Instant Pot Greek Yoghurt Cold Start?
The cold start element simply means that we are not heating anything up before making the yoghurt.
I.e., it’s a cold start instant pot yoghurt.
Instead, we do the instant pot water test first to sterilise the instant pot and then move on to mixing the Fage Total and UHT milk.
Would you like easy & amazing instant pot recipes from instant pot experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST instant pot beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful instant pot resources.
Greek Yoghurt Instant Pot Ingredients
Yoghurt – For the yoghurt we are using 5% Fat Fage Total Greek yoghurt. You can use the same or mix and match with another similar yoghurt. But make sure you are using a yoghurt with active cultures.
Milk – The second essential ingredient for making Greek yoghurt in instant pot is some milk. I have found the easiest milk to use is semi skimmed UHT milk. Which translates in the USA as reduced fat long life milk.
Whisk – You’re also going to need a silicone whisk that you can use in the instant pot to whisk up the milk and yoghurt ahead of hitting the yoghurt button.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this Greek yoghurt instant pot recipe it has just been our Instant Pot. We have this one and it’s my favourite and great for a lot of foods that can make from scratch.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our instant pot recipes category as we have many electric pressure cooker recipes and have been using instant pots for 5 years.
How To Make Greek Yoghurt In Instant Pot?
- Prepare. Start by completing the instant pot water test. It’s a fantastic way for a thorough sterilisation of your instant pot before making the yoghurt.
- Load. Then load up your instant pot with the Greek yoghurt along with a cup of milk. Then use your whisk to mix the milk into the yoghurt.
- Gradually. Then gradually add the rest of the milk and whisk until you have milk bubbles.
- Cook. Place the lid on the instant pot, set it to yoghurt and leave the yoghurt to cook in the instant pot for 8 hours.
- Fridge. Then when it beeps, place the yoghurt in the fridge overnight.
- Strain. The next day after it has been in the fridge overnight, strain and then serve.
And I am sure you can see now how simple and easy it is to make our Greek yoghurt instant pot recipe.
Instant Pot Greek Yoghurt With Sweetened Condensed Milk
Now this part is your favourite bit. And that is adding flavours to your yoghurt. After all, right now you have typical plain yoghurt that you can use for everything.
One great idea is to blend in some frozen strawberries and make a yoghurt smoothie.
But my other favourite is to add in a can of instant pot caramel, and it will create the best creamy sweetened condensed milk ever.
Greek Yoghurt Instant Pot Tips & Tricks
- Don’t skip the straining step. It removes any excess water and makes your Greek yoghurt so creamy that you would think it was high fat.
- Want a higher fat Greek yoghurt? Then swap 5% fat for full fat yoghurt and use whole milk (full fat milk) instead of semi skimmed.
- You can store leftover yoghurt in plastic mason jars and then store them in the fridge. We use these ones.
- Make sure you whisk your milk and yoghurt together. It will make a much better yoghurt and will be light and creamy.
- Put the yoghurt on in early afternoon (about 2pm), then it will be ready for placing in the fridge at 10pm before bed, then cool overnight in the fridge and its ready for straining from 8am.
- Strain your yoghurt by placing kitchen towel over a sieve and pouring through.
Plus, check out our instant pot yoghurt setting guide which goes into a much more detail.
More Instant Pot Homemade Recipes
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- Instant Pot Chickpeas
- Instant Pot Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- Instant Pot Green Lentils
Your Greek yoghurt instant pot recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free instant pot ebooks and useful instant pot cook time charts and so much more.
Instant Pot Greek Yoghurt
- Instant Pot Water Test
- 2 Tbsp 5% Fat Fage Greek Yogurt
- 2 l Semi Skimmed UHT Milk
- Perform the instant pot water test first.
- Load your Greek yogurt into the instant pot.
- Then add 1/8 of the milk i.e. 1 cup/250ml.
- Whisk until well mixed and starting to froth. Pour in the rest of the milk and whisk until frothy like milk from a coffee shop.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and no need to set to sealing. Press the yogurt setting and make sure the time is set to 8 hours, if not press the + or – until you have 8 hours and then press start.
- After 8 hours and it has beeped, remove from the instant pot, and make sure you don’t stir. Then cover with its silicone lid and place in the fridge for a further 8 hours to chill.
- After it has chilled, stir and you have homemade Greek yogurt ready for using.