This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Instant Pot Frozen Roast Beef & Gravy. How to cook your favourite roast beef from frozen in the instant pot pressure cooker. Includes a delicious homemade beef gravy, air fryer roast potatoes and carrots.
Instant Pot Frozen Roast Beef
I grew up in Yorkshire, England and that was nothing more British than enjoying roast beef, Yorkshire puddings and roast potatoes on your Sunday dinner plate.
Normally with some vegetables too and OMG wasn’t it an effort on a Sunday to put the roast beef dinner together?
You roasted your beef topside in the oven, then you made homemade Yorkshire puddings, then you boiled your vegetables, then you made your own gravy, you boiled potatoes and then roasted them, then someone wanted potatoes another way, so you made more.
Then before you knew it, it had taken you three hours to cook roast beef for your family.
That is why I am so excited to introduce you to this instant pot frozen roast beef and gravy recipe.
You cook the roast beef in the instant pot with your carrots, the stock you use becomes your gravy and you set up your instant pot and you can then forget about it.
Everything is done between the instant pot and the air fryer and the time in the kitchen is minimal.
Plus, you don’t have to freak out that there is not enough room in the oven for your roast beef and your Yorkshire puddings and your roast potatoes.
I just wish these wonderful kitchen gadgets were available to do their magic 20 years ago.
Can You Cook A Frozen Roast In An Instant Pot?
Absolutely. The instant pot is fantastic for cooking a frozen roast. You cook a frozen roast slightly longer than a thawed roast and it comes out tender and perfectly cooked.
Once you taste an instant pot frozen roast, you will struggle to tell the difference. Compared to frozen chicken which you need to be more careful with otherwise it becomes dry.
Here are 2 more instant pot frozen roasts I have made that you can try after our instant pot frozen roast beef:
Though with those above, its about using chuck roast, or as us Brits call them braising steak. Much cheaper to recreate in the instant pot compared to when you cook roast beef.
You see roast beef uses topside or silverside or top round as you would call it if you are in America.
I find that roast beef doesn’t do as well with chuck roast, because it falls apart like pulled beef and is difficult to slice. Though you can cut down the cook time to make it cut well, but then you risk it not being tender.
If you can opt for frozen topside/round roast when cooking a frozen beef roast in the instant pot.
Cooking Frozen Roast Beef In Instant Pot
The art of cooking frozen roast beef in the instant pot is to get yourself organised and plan your cooking times.
You want to get your prep done and get your instant pot going to pressure as soon as you can. Because you are cooking meat in the instant pot, it tends to take longer for the instant pot to go to pressure.
Then once you have done this you want to focus your attention on prepping the potatoes for the air fryer and then set your stopwatch.
I always use the stopwatch on my Apple Watch and then I know exactly when to start the potatoes and it stops me getting too comfy on the sofa and forgetting about them.
Then I set it for 30 minutes after the instant pot goes to pressure. Then it means I have 30 minutes of instant pot cook time left. The air fryer potatoes often take 20 minutes to cook, depending on how many I have.
Then when the roast potatoes are done, the frozen Yorkshire puddings can go in, then when the instant pot beeps I can make the gravy and plate up Sunday dinner.
How To Cook Frozen Roast In Instant Pot?
Cooking frozen roast beef in the instant pot is SIMPLE:
- Sauté an onion in your instant pot
- Sauté potatoes and carrots
- Deglaze and add stock
- Add meat
- Pressure cook and serve
Instant Pot Roast Beef & Gravy
I have not bought OXO cubes or gravy granules for years now and use up what is leftover and turn this into gravy and into stocks.
You can easily do the same and it tastes good and is incredibly healthy too. We feature it a lot in how to thicken stews and soups and I recommend you read this if you want to wean yourself off processed foods.
- Load more root vegetables and potatoes into the instant pot than you would normally eat.
- Make sure your instant pot is well seasoned.
- When your instant pot has finished cooking and you have removed your meat, load the leftover vegetables you don’t want to eat into a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add in a little of the juices from the meat bit by bit until you have a gravy thickness.
How Long To Cook Frozen Roast In Instant Pot?
The instant pot frozen roast beef cook time is 60 minutes. I have played around with it and done less and more.
What I found is a lower cook time and the roast beef is not tender enough. Or when I cooked it for too long that it was too much like pot roast and too difficult to slice.
Instant Pot Frozen Roast Beef Serving Suggestions
- Air Fryer Yorkshire Puddings – There should be a law against having roast beef without Yorkshire puddings. On our recipe you will find both frozen and fresh Yorkshire pudding instructions.
- Air Fryer Roast Potatoes – Make your roast potatoes in the air fryer. Much lower in calories but that amazing crispy coating. I haven’t made roast potatoes in the oven for years.
- Air Fryer Frozen Broccoli + Cauliflower – You can cook them from frozen in the air fryer or part cook in the instant pot first. They are delicious and easy to dump in and then serve.
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Cheese – The British roast Sunday dinner wouldn’t be the same without cauliflower cheese. This is how to make it in the instant pot.
Instant Pot Frozen Roast Beef & Gravy
- Peel and dice onion and carrots. Dice your potatoes into large chunks with skin still on.
- Load the onion into the instant pot and sauté with a little extra virgin olive oil. Add in carrots and potatoes and sauté for a couple more minutes. Add in beef stock, red wine and mix well to deglaze in the instant pot. Add in seasonings and stir.
- Place your frozen beef on top of the potatoes and carrots and place the lid on the instant pot. Set the valve to sealing and set the time to 60 minutes on meat/stew.
- After it beeps allow for 10 minutes of natural pressure release and then manually release pressure. Remove the roast beef and place on a chopping board and allow to rest.
- Remove the potatoes from the instant pot and load into the blender along with a handful of the carrots. Blend until smooth. Add in some of the juices and keep blending until you have a thickness of gravy. I also like to add in a slice of the beef to give it a richer beef gravy flavour.
- Slice your roast beef and load onto dinner plates with your beef gravy and preferred sides.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: