Instant Pot Lamb Bhuna. How to make a delicious lamb bhuna curry in the instant pot pressure cooker. Inspired by the lamb bhuna episode of Gavin & Stacey, this lamb bhuna is served with instant pot pilau rice and ideal for a Saturday night fakeaway at home.
Table of Contents
Instant Pot Lamb Bhuna
Living in Portugal we gave up on British TV a long time ago. Instead we swapped British TV for Portuguese cable TV that shows a lot of great American TV shows as well as watching Netflix.
Though one show that everyone said we should watch that was British, was Gavin & Stacey.
We went and binge watched it and fell in love with the guy from Essex called Gavin and fell in love with Welsh girl Stacey.
Plus, adored both of their best friends and had a lot of laughs watching it.
I now shout PAMELA at my mum as not only does she have the same name as Gavin’s mum, but bares a striking resemblance for Alison Steadman. They even wear similar clothes!
But one episode that makes me giggle, is the one that features the lamb bhuna. If you have not watched Gavin & Stacey, then think that Gavin’s best mate is like Joey from friends and does not share his food!
Though more specifically, he doesn’t share his bhuna.
Instant Pot Lamb Bhuna is a recipe I have wanted to show you how to make for some time now.
So, after binge watching Gavin & Stacey again for the zillionth time, I thought today was the perfect day.
What Is Lamb Bhuna?
A lamb bhuna is a popular Indian curry. Made more famous over the last decade thanks to the TV show Gavin & Stacey.
Lamb bhuna or lamb bhuna gosht is a curry that originates from the Punjab area of Indian. The point of a lamb bhuna is the slow cooking of the meat so that it is perfectly tender.
Though thanks to the instant pot we can speed this up and still make a tender lamb curry.
It doesn’t have to be lamb. You can make a bhuna with prawns/shrimp, chicken, mutton or beef.
What Does Lamb Bhuna Taste Like?
Lamb bhuna tastes like a delicious creamy curry that has a tomato taste. It is creamy like a butter chicken but is rich in tomatoes like a lamb balti.
It is also very tender thanks to the lamb being pressure cooked.
How Spicy Is Lamb Bhuna?
Lamb bhuna is known for been rather spicy. BUT it is your homemade curry and by reducing the amount of chilli powder in the bhuna, you can make it milder.
Or maybe you love a spicy curry and want to add more chilli to it, to make it more to your taste.
Is Lamb Bhuna Healthy?
Our lamb bhuna is healthy, though the takeaway version is probably not as healthy! We are using lamb stock and tinned tomatoes as the base for our curry. We then use Greek yoghurt to make it thick and creamy.
Ideal if you are on Slimming World or Weight Watchers and want a lamb bhuna!
What Does Lamb Bhuna Have In It?
The lamb bhuna ingredients are all things that I have in my pantry or in the freezer. Making it perfect to avoid going out grocery shopping for that obscure item that a recipe calls for.
- Lamb – We buy lamb in bulk from the butchers and freeze it in packs. Then thaw the lamb the night before we plan to make a curry. You could do the same. Or if you don’t have lamb in, swap it for another meat.
- Tinned Tomatoes – I love to cook with tinned tomatoes. Did you know that there is more nutrition in tinned tomatoes than supermarket fresh? That is because the nutrients were at the best when they were canned.
- Seasoning – We are talking yummy Indian food here so lots of seasonings from your herb cupboard. Think chilli powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, nutmeg, and a few other seasonings.
How To Make Instant Pot Lamb Bhuna?
The quick version of cooking lamb bhuna in the instant pot goes as follows:
- Sauté an onion in the instant pot.
- Brown your lamb.
- Add in seasonings and mix.
- Deglaze with tomatoes and stock.
- Pressure cook and serve.
There is a little more to it than that, but those are the simple basics!
Instant Pot Lamb Curry Cooking Time
The instant pot lamb curry cooking time is JUST 30 minutes. Then ensures that your lamb will be perfectly tender and will fall apart in your mouth as you eat it.
Much quicker compared to 8 hours on low that would be required in the slow cooker.
Lamb Bhuna On Gavin + Stacey
When you watch the lamb bhuna Gavin & Stacey episode, James Cordon’s character Smithy is chatting on the phone about what takeaway he would like from the local Indian.
While everyone else is into sharing the food on the table and having it like an Indian buffet, Smithy goes into Joey mode and declares that he wants a chicken bhuna and a lamb bhuna to himself.
I am a sharer and love to do the buffet thing, where we all have something of each and find it highly amusing. Do tell me in the comments if you are a sharer or a hoarder.
I also love the mix and match of curries and how we all have our favourite. Stacey questioning if it is wrong to just have a korma. Gavin having a balti and how we all adore saag aloo.
What episode is lamb bhuna Gavin & Stacey? If you wanted to know what episode the lamb bhuna appears on Gavin & Stacey, then it is season 3, episode 2.
Instant Pot Lamb Bhuna Curry
Instant Pot Lamb Bhuna Ingredients:
- Peel and dice an onion and sauté in the instant pot.
- Add in your cubed lamb and brown with the onion. Season the lamb well with salt and pepper.
- Add to the instant pot your various seasonings and mix well. Add in tinned tomatoes and lamb stock and mix well
- Place the lid on the instant pot and cook for 30 minutes on meat/stew setting. When it beeps use quick pressure release.
- Drain the juices from the instant pot and put the leftover lamb stock to one side. Add the lamb back into the instant pot and stir in Greek yoghurt.
- Load onto plates with pilau rice and enjoy!
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: