This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Instant Pot Brown Rice. How to cook delicious Instant Pot brown rice that is not just fast, but perfectly cooked too. Easy to adapt for add ins and one of my favourite uses for the instant pot pressure cooker.
Instant Pot Brown Rice
Instant Pot Brown Rice is one of those genius instant pot pressure cooker recipes that is do easy, you are wondering what the catch is.
- How can something be this easy to pressure cook?
- How can something taste so good from the pressure cooker?
- Why you must make this if you are new to the pressure cooker
I am married to a rice hater. Well unless it is Instant Pot Rice Pudding of course. But all other rice dishes are off the menu for him.
But me and the kids do love rice and I love that instant pot rice is so quick and easy that I can make us a batch while he enjoys air fryer fries with his meal.
Today, I wanted to share with you how to make PERFECT instant pot brown rice. So perfect that it will turn you into an instant pot brown rice junkie like myself.
Can Instant Pot Cook Brown Rice?
The first question I always get asked, is whether or not the instant pot can cook brown rice and the answer is a big fat YES.
Not only does the instant pot cook brown rice, but it cooks brown rice perfectly.
But that is if you follow our brown rice instant pot recipe. You see cooking instant pot rice is like baking.
It is always about the perfect ratio. That rice to liquid must be perfect and the cooking time has to be perfect as well.
Does Instant Pot Cook Brown Rice Well?
Yes it does. The liquid, brown rice and any seasoning is loaded into the instant pot and when it has finished all you need to do is fluff it up with a fork and it is DONE and it is DONE WELL.
Here it is on my fork after being fluffed up and it is truly perfect:
Instant Pot Brown Rice Experiment
I was sent a HUGE bag of brown rice to experiment with in the instant pot and have had a great time learning more about brown rice and trying lots of different add ins.
Even though I have eaten a lot of white rice in the past, I have never had brown rice a lot and I loved it.
But through my instant pot brown rice experiment I learnt:
- Instant Pot Brown Rice Half Cup = the amount of brown rice I would instant pot if I was a single person living alone. Perfect for quick lunches or dinners and easy to add vegetables to it.
- Instant Pot Brown Rice 1 Cup = ideal for a couple that wants a quick lunch with brown rice.
- Instant Pot Brown Rice 2 Cups = ideal for us Milners. With both Kyle and me obsessed with brown rice as well as two small children this works best for us. We can have extra brown rice in the fridge ready for meal prep and it makes a great salad too.
- Instant Pot Brown Rice Rinse = that you don’t have to rinse your brown rice if you don’t want to. I was rinsing my brown rice all the time, then forgot one mealtime and it didn’t taste any different.
- Instant Pot Brown Rice No Oil = you can cook instant pot brown rice with no oil. In fact, so far, I have not cooked brown rice with oil whatsoever. The brown rice is magical because it doesn’t stick to the instant pot and it only takes 2 minutes to clean the instant pot. Even better if you follow Weight Watchers or Slimming World it is great because it’s a free food thanks to the no oil.
- Instant Pot Brown Rice Not Cooked = my brown rice cooked perfectly in the instant pot every single time. There was not one time when my instant pot brown rice was not cooked. If your brown rice is not cooked it is either because it wasn’t cooked for long enough or it didn’t go to pressure.
- Instant Pot Brown Rice To Liquid Ratio = the perfect ratio for brown rice to preferred liquid is 1 cup to 1.25 liquid. So, think 1 cup brown rice and 1.25 broth or 2 cups of brown rice to 2.5 cups of liquid.
- Instant Pot Brown Rice High Or Low Pressure = its all about the high pressure when cooking brown rice. Get the ratio right and cook it on high pressure and it is the best rice you have ever tried.
How To Cook Instant Pot Brown Rice?
Cooking Instant Pot Brown Rice is easy and is one of those dump and start, no sauté, instant pot recipes that I just LOVE.
It is also one of those basic instant pot beginner recipes that can be adapted for what you need it for.
Instant Pot Brown Rice Instructions:
- Rinse your brown rice and load it into the instant pot.
- Add in liquid and seasonings.
- Pressure cook and serve!
Yes really, that is all there is to it when you pressure cook your brown rice and just like you, when I first make it, I was waiting for the small print!
Instant Pot Brown Rice Cooking Time
How long do you instant pot brown rice? What is the instant pot brown rice cooking time? Instant pot brown rice how many minutes?
Let me guess those are the questions you have been searching on Google in your bid to make your brown rice perfect.
When I Googled it myself, I found myself staring at lots of different instant pot brown rice cooking times and feeling overwhelmed.
How can one person say 15 minutes and then another says 20 minutes? Surely one person had to be wrong and another one had to be right?
I started off with 18 minutes, thinking somewhere in between would be best. Then I tried 15 minutes and 20 minutes too.
What I found was:
- 15 Minutes = perfect for egg fried rice or other dishes when you need a slight crunch to your rice.
- 18 Minutes = what I call perfect instant pot brown rice. Easy to fluff up and perfect for meal prep, salads, brown rice on the side of your plate and many other varieties.
- 20 Minutes = the brown rice is too soggy and feels a bit mushy. But this version would be great if you are cooking a risotto.
What Do You Serve With Instant Pot Brown Rice?
I am salad obsessed and, in the summer,, I want my Instant Pot Brown Rice tossed in chickpeas, celery, cucumber and sweetcorn. But that is just one way to have your brown rice.
Below are a few more instant pot brown rice serving suggestions:
Air Fryer Chicken Breast – For that healthy lunch or light dinner, serve up your brown rice with air fryer chicken breast. Its healthy, wholesome and addictive.
Instant Pot Salmon & Broccoli – For lazy dinners I like to have salmon and broccoli running in one instant pot and instant pot brown rice in the other.
Air Fryer Rotisserie Chicken – We will often roast a small chicken in the air fryer and load the dinner table with sides. One will be rice, another with be potatoes and there will be some vegetables too.
Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Rinse your brown rice under a cold tap.
- Load your brown rice into the instant pot.
- Pour in liquid and seasoning.
- Stir and place the lid on the instant pot and set the valve to sealing.
- Cook for 18 minutes on manual/pressure cook then allow for 5 minutes natural pressure release before releasing pressure.
- Remove the lid, fluff up with a fork and serve.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: