Dehydrated Marshmallows In Air Fryer
This Post Contains Affiliate Links. Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
The ultimate guide to dehydrated marshmallows in the air fryer. If you want to dry marshmallows and have a dehydrator setting on your air fryer, then this is for you.
We are using the Ninja Foodi dehydrator setting to show you how ridiculously easy it is to make dried marshmallows.
This time last year we ran a fun series of dehydrating fruits using the Power Air Fryer Oven dehydrator setting.
It was great fun, and we did dehydrated peaches, dehydrated raspberries, dehydrated blueberries, dehydrated watermelon, dehydrated strawberries, dehydrated bananas and many more.
We loved the idea, that we could use our air fryer we a dehydrator. And you could too if you have an air fryer that has a temperature of 55c/130f.
It makes a fantastic alternative to dehydrating on a low heat in the oven and we just loved all the dried fruit we made.
A year later, and we are back dedicating a week to dehydrating using the air fryer again.
Just one big change.
We don’t have a power air fryer oven anymore and our tower air fryer oven isn’t a low enough temperature for it, but our Ninja Foodi is.
Today starts with dehydrated marshmallows using the Ninja Foodi!
Are You New To The Air Fryer?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular air fryer mini course which teaches you the air fryer basics in 5 days, we also have our air fryer bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy air fryer recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
Can You Dehydrate Marshmallows?
Yes, you can dehydrate marshmallows and I highly recommend doing so. Though if you have a choice go with dried mini marshmallows as they are so much easier to dehydrate.
For example, if you dehydrate large marshmallows you have to chop them up into smaller pieces and then be careful with the sticky bits in the inside.
Whilst with dried mini marshmallows you can dump them in your dehydrator and let the gadget do the hard work.
What Happens When You Dehydrate A Marshmallow?
When you dehydrate a marshmallow, it goes like you would expect, which is crunchy marshmallows.
A big hard crunch on them like the crunch you get on crunchy cookies.
As well as all sticky texture from the marshmallow is gone.
My kids compare them to boiled sweets or candy and love them. Though of course, they are a specific texture that might not suit most people.
What To Do With Dehydrated Marshmallows?
The most popular use of dehydrated marshmallows is to use the marshmallows in a hot chocolate. They will then soften as they are added into the hot chocolate.
Dehydrated marshmallows for hot chocolate can be stored in a plastic jar (like we do) and then you can just grab some when making a hot chocolate.
You can also use mini dehydrated marshmallows for cooking with as because they are dried, they will hold their shape much longer.
Or if you want to barbecue marshmallows and don’t want them to melt as quick you can use them for that too.
How To Dry Out Marshmallows Fast?
The quickest way to dehydrate marshmallows is to dehydrate in an air fryer. When you do dehydrated marshmallows in the air fryer its much faster than a classic dehydrator and closer on time to that of an oven.
Plus, thanks to my favourite stackable dehydrator accessory for the Ninja Foodi, I can dehydrate a full bag of marshmallows at once.
Would you like easy & amazing air fryer recipes from air fryer experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST air fryer beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful air fryer resources.
Dried Marshmallows Ingredients
Marshmallows – I used one bag of mini white and pink marshmallows from Tesco’s. I have used the same brand in other marshmallow recipes and love them. I would like to say a full bag was used but Jorge (he is 5) loves them, so he did have a few whilst I was getting it ready!
Dehydrator – We also used my stackable dehydrator that I bought specifically for the Ninja Foodi. If you are dehydrating marshmallows with an air fryer, I recommend something similar. I love this one because it allows you to have several racks of marshmallows dehydrating at once.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this dehydrated marshmallows air fryer recipe it has just been our Ninja Foodi. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of recipes including dehydrating.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our air fryer recipes category as we have more than 500 tried and tested air fryer recipes and have been air frying for 10 years. And nearly all are suitable for the Ninja Foodi air fryer setting.
How To Dehydrate Marshmallows?
- Load. Add your mini marshmallows to your dehydrator shelves. Start at the bottom, clipping on each shelf as it fills up.
- Load. Then add your stackable dehydrator into the Ninja Foodi and place the air fryer lid down.
- Cook. Set the temperature to 55c/130f and the function to dehydrator and then dry your marshmallows for 6 hours or until fully dried.
- Finish. Then once the dehydrator is done, remove the mini dried marshmallows and load into an airtight container. Keep in the cupboard for up to 1 year.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is to make dehydrated mini marshmallows and why you should be doing it too!
Can You Freeze Dried Marshmallows?
Yes, you can freeze dried marshmallows, but I don’t see the point. That is because a dehydrated marshmallow will last 1 year in an airtight container, so it really doesn’t need to go into the freezer.
But you could of course add the dried marshmallows to a Ziploc bag and freeze instead of storing in the pantry.
How Long To Dehydrate Marshmallows?
Our Ninja Foodi dehydrator has a default time of 6 hours, and we nearly always use this as our guide and then check a couple of times.
With the dried marshmallows we found the setting was spot on and 6 hours was perfect.
Dehydrated Marshmallows Tips & Tricks
- Opt for mini marshmallows. There is no prep to do and they dehydrate perfectly and much faster.
- Check your marshmallows at the halfway point. You can then see if any are stuck to the dehydrator or if any have stuck to one another or got too close.
- You can do as many mini marshmallows that will fit in your dehydrator.
- We found that one bag of mini marshmallows was enough to fill one small plastic jar.
- We recommend using this dehydrator for easy stacking in your Ninja Foodi. We are amazed when we use this how many mini marshmallows will fit in the Ninja.
More Dehydrator Air Fryer Recipes
- Dehydrated Lemons
- Dehydrated Limes
- Dehydrated Oranges
- Dehydrated Cherries
- Dehydrated Bananas
- Dehydrated Pears
Your dehydrated marshmallow recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Dehydrated Marshmallows In Air Fryer
- 190 g Bag Mini Marshmallows
- Get out your dehydrator accessory and load up the shelves with mini marshmallows. Start at the bottom and work your way up and clip each shelf into place as you do it.
- Once the dehydrator is full then load into the Ninja Foodi. Place the air fryer lid down on the Ninja Foodi and set it to the dehydrator setting.
- Dehydrate for 6 hours at 55c/130f or until the marshmallows are fully hard and break when you apply force.
- Then load into an airtight plastic container and store in a cool place for up to 1 year.
Never entered my head i could dehydrate marshmallows, these ended up small and so sweet with a crunch but not very hard, they are a great snack when you are looking for a sweet treat.