Coconut Milk Chocolate Ice Cream. Learn how to make a refreshing, easy, coconut milk chocolate ice cream at home with your ice cream maker.
Because it is loaded with full fat coconut milk, this chocolate ice cream is filling, yet satisfying and perfect for those that follow Paleo or are looking for a dairy free coconut milk ice cream.
Our coconut milk ice cream recipe was originally shared on Recipe This in 2016 and we decided to update it for you, create some new photos and give you even more information about how to make homemade coconut milk ice cream in the ice cream maker.
Coconut Milk Ice Cream
Rewind back to 2015. Sofia was less than a year old and cute Jorge was a future dream that complete our family.
I was also following Paleo 100% of the time and had used it to shift a lot of weight.
Even though I loved the paleo lifestyle, I was never a fan of the sweet treats that many people made. With an allergy for nuts and seeds. Along with a hatred for coconut flour, many of the paleo sweet treats were out for me.
Back then we had just got our first ever ice cream maker and Dominic had this great idea to make me some paleo chocolate ice cream using coconut milk.
It would involve simple ingredients such as coconut milk, cocoa powder, and honey as the sweetener.
It was amazing and our coconut milk ice cream obsession started.
We would swap the cocoa powder for other favourites such as some frozen strawberries, some banana or even mix pineapple and coconut sugar for a pina colada.
This is Dominic’s original paleo chocolate ice cream recipe updated for you and OMG I just want to binge on it.
Does Coconut Milk Ice Cream Taste Like Coconut?
Yes, it does, but it is not as strong on the coconut as you would expect. I am not a big fan of sweet coconut treats and hate how strong a flavour it can be.
For example, I find that coconut flour is too strong a flavour for me, and I hate Bounty chocolate for that same reason.
Yet, I love coconut milk chocolate ice cream because its more a subtle flavour of coconut.
Vegan Coconut Milk Ice Cream
When Dominic created this ice cream made with coconut milk, it was for me so that I could have a paleo chocolate ice cream and was never meant for sharing.
Then we realised it was so good, we had to show others how to do it.
But what if you are vegan? Well, you just need one simple ingredient swap and that is the honey. Apart from this everything else is vegan.
Just swap it for maple syrup or another favourite natural sweetener and you are good!
Making Ice Cream With Coconut Milk
Before we dive into this chocolate coconut milk ice cream recipe, I wanted to explain what homemade coconut milk ice cream is really like.
Because if you have not made it before, then it can be a shock with the differences.
Your coconut milk ice cream recipe is:
- Much thicker thanks to using full fat coconut milk rather than single cream.
- It keeps its creamy texture even when frozen, so you don’t need to defrost for a bit before tucking in.
- It is simple ingredients that are loaded into the ice cream maker and no need to cook eggs and sugar first.
- Because it’s a basic recipe you can add in extra ingredients to make flavoured ice cream.
- Because its full fat, the ice cream fills you up for hours and stops your bingeing.
- There is no prep and ingredients are dumped straight into the ice cream maker.
Frozen Paleo Ice Cream Ingredients
Coconut Milk – For the best canned coconut milk for ice cream, focus on a full fat coconut milk. It will ensure your ice cream thickens perfectly and two cans is all that is required to make enough ice cream for your family.
Sugar – We recommend using coconut sugar. It is a healthier sugar, mixes well in an ice cream maker and improves the flavour of the ice cream.
Honey. For an extra natural flavour, I recommend honey. Though you can swap this with maple syrup if you are vegan.
Cocoa. I recommend a small amount of cocoa as it can be rather strong. Unlike unhealthy ice creams natural chocolate ice cream will have a hint of colour and wont be dark brown.
Extras. You can also add in extras such as vanilla essence, cinnamon, peppermint extract, nutmeg, or even pumpkin spice for a Halloween ice cream.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this homemade coconut milk ice cream recipe, it has just been our Italian Ice Cream Maker. We have this one and its wonderful for churning any of your classic ice creams.
How To Make Coconut Milk Ice Cream?
- Pour. Load into the ice cream maker, coconut milk, cocoa, sugars and any extra flavourings.
- Churn. Allow the ice cream maker to churn for 40 minutes before tucking in.
You have to love paleo coconut ice cream for its zero prep. Because with regular ice creams you have eggs and sugar and cream to think about. But with this, its all in the ice cream maker and then you come back when it beeps.
More Ice Cream Machine Recipes
- Ice Cream Maker Pineapple Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Maker White Chocolate Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Maker Raspberry Ripple
- Ice Cream Maker Rainbow Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Maker Lemon Sorbet
Ice Cream Maker Coconut Milk Chocolate Ice Cream
- Load everything into the ice cream maker.
- Set it to a 45 minute churn and then come back when it beeps and scoop up your ice cream into bowls or into containers.