Rainbow Ice Cream. How to make rainbow ice cream from scratch using your ice cream maker. A fun way to make ice cream with your kids this summer and so EASY and refreshing.
Rainbow Ice Cream
As a mum of two kids under six, food colouring has become a big part of fun things to do with the kids.
It started when Sofia was 2 years old to teach her about different colours and its now become the only way, we make cold treats in the kitchen.
I love the way you can transform a regular looking ice cream, a mocktail or even some popsicles.
I even bought some better food colourings from Amazon because they ones we had in our local supermarket were not that good and did not have much variety.
Plus, when you buy the good ones you only need the slightest amount and the food colouring lasts a long time.
Though as a mum that has learnt her lesson, I keep them on the top shelf because if I do not things like this happen when I am not looking:
This rainbow ice cream idea came about a couple of weeks ago during a crazy weekend of updating some of our old ice cream maker recipes.
We decided to go back through our favourite ice cream maker recipes and see which ones we would like to update for you.
We bought more single cream than we needed and realised that after updating 10 different ice cream maker recipes, we were still left with 4 small tubs of cream.
Dominic had two for his coffee and a weekend later, I still had one left. Mentioned to Dominic that I wanted to make rainbow ice cream with the kids, and he put a vanilla batch of our favourite Italian vanilla ice cream recipe in the ice cream maker.
The perfect starting point for rainbow ice cream and I was more excited than the kids of the wonderful colours we were going to create.
Is Rainbow Ice Cream Just Vanilla?
You are probably wondering is rainbow ice cream just vanilla? Well you are spot on. Rainbow ice cream is taking the boring colour of vanilla ice cream and transforming it with lots of different food colourings.
It is then layered into your ice cream tub and you freeze it like you would with any batch of vanilla ice cream. Then as you scoop out the ice cream later you get a beautiful rainbow colour scheme.
Perfect for both kids and adults alike you will fall in love with the colours that you can create.
What Is Rainbow Ice Cream Called?
We all live in different parts of the world and have different names for food. Living here in Portugal we would probably call it rainbow gelato. Yet in the US it might be known as either rainbow vanilla ice cream or rainbow ice. Or let’s simplify it and just call it rainbow ice cream.
What Does Rainbow Ice Cream Taste Like?
Its funny the way we look at our food with our eyes. You see this beautiful coloured ice cream, but when you taste it, you get that wonderful vanilla ice cream flavour. Do not expect your red layer to taste of strawberries and your green layer to taste of apples.
How To Make Rainbow Ice Cream?
Making rainbow ice cream is so EASY:
- Prepare our vanilla ice cream as usual.
- When it finishes churning separate it into separate ramekins and in each ramekin add a little food colouring.
- Mix your ramekins and add a ramekin at a time to your ice cream tub creating layers.
- Once you have run out of colourful ice cream add the ice cream tub to the freezer and freeze for a few hours before serving.
What Is Rainbow Ice Cream Made Of?
Rainbow ice cream features your favourite vanilla ice cream ingredients such as:
- Egg yolks
- Single Cream
- Whole Milk
- Vanilla Essence
How Long Does Homemade Ice Cream Last?
In the Milner house a couple of hours. In fact, as some as we had frozen our rainbow ice cream, loaded it into ice cream cones it was GONE.
If you have self-discipline, then you can keep your homemade ice cream in the freezer for at least 3 months.
Rainbow Vanilla Ice Cream FAQ
- What is rainbow ice cream? Rainbow ice cream is ice cream that is made with different colours so that when you scoop it from the tub and into a rainbow ice cream cone, that it looks similar to the colours of the rainbow.
- What is rainbow ice cream flavour? The flavour of rainbow ice cream is typically like the taste of a vanilla ice cream, it just looks more colourful.
- Food colouring in homemade ice cream? You can use any, but we recommend having a box of food colourings, like these that we bought on Amazon. You can use them in all types of colourful cookery, and they need very little thanks to the quality of them.
Rainbow Ice Cream In The Ice Cream Maker
- Follow the instructions of our vanilla ice cream maker recipe and then load the vanilla ice cream into 6 different ramekins.
- Add a couple of drops of food colouring into each ramekin and mix with a fork until the colouring is thoroughly mixed into the ice cream.
- Layer your ice cream tub with each of the coloured ramekin ice creams so that you have a good mix. Do this gently so that you do not mix the colours with each other.
- Load into the freezer, freeze overnight and serve your rainbow ice cream the next day.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: