Air Fryer Scones. Learn how to make British homemade scones in the air fryer. A simple English classic scones recipe that is adapted for the air fryer and easy to mix and match with favourite flavours.
You can make classic scones in the air fryer, or make your scones more fun with cheese, cranberries, fruit or even blueberries or pumpkin.
This air fryer scones recipe was originally shared on Recipe This in 2017 and we decided to update it for you, create some new photos and give you even more information about how to bake scones in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Scones
Well, you can’t take Yorkshire out of the girl.
I grew up in a small seaside town in Yorkshire, northern England. The town was (and still is) loaded with lots of similar places to eat out. Local fish and chip shops, local carvery restaurants and of course plenty of tearooms that sell scones and tea for brunch or afternoon tea.
My grandad would take me to his favourite tearooms, and it was wonderful to enjoy a scone together and enjoy each other’s company. It was on a cobbled street that was often used for filming vintage TV shows and even though it was great value for money and never expensive, it always felt like an expensive treat.
Sadly, my grandad died several years ago, but my grandma’s favourite scone recipe does live on and when I bought my first air fryer many years ago, I was soon baking my grandma’s scone recipe in the air fryer.
Today I wanted to introduce you to our updated air fryer scones recipe and show you a classic British recipe for air fryer scones, that you can make at home in your air fryer.
Plus, as well as our free newsletter, we also have a free air fryer mini course. It is ideal for air fryer beginners or those that want to get more confident with their air fryer. The free course runs for 5 days with a new lesson delivered each day to your inbox.
Can You Air Fry Scones?
Yes, you can! Scones are fantastic in the air fryer. They are easy to make and are so easy you can make them with your kids.
Scones was also the first thing I ever baked at school, and you can see why. As air fryer scones start off with 3 simple ingredients of self raising flour, butter, and milk.
It is also a fantastic basic baking recipe that you can adapt and make into different recipes. For example, you can roll out scone dough and you have a pizza base, or make a savoury version and use it as an alternative to dumplings for your stew.
Scones In Air Fryer
When experimenting with scones in the air fryer, I recommend you try out a few different flavour combinations. Then when you do add 28g or 1oz of your favourite extra ingredient for the best air fryer scone recipe for the season.
For example, your scones made in the air fryer could be:
- Air Fryer Blueberry Scones
- Air Fryer Cranberry Scones
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Scones
- Air Fryer Strawberry Scones
- Air Fryer Fruit Scones
- Air Fryer Cheese Scones
Then just use our basic air fryer scone recipe for your base, then add in 28g of your extras.
After you have rubbed your fat into your flour and before adding the milk, mix in your extras. Such as 28g grated cheddar cheese for cheese scones, or 28g of raisins for fruit scones.
Air Fryer Scones Ingredients
Flour – For the best results use a quality self raising flour. Try not to go too cheap as it will show in your scones.
Butter – Any butter will do and get it out of the fridge an hour before baking, that way it will be easier for you to rub your butter into your flour.
Milk. When baking scones, it is the milk that helps combine the dough and make that creamy delicious scone texture. You can also use buttermilk too if you prefer. Do avoid low fat milk though as it will not produce quality scones.
Egg Wash. To get that golden glow on your scones you will need to add egg wash to your scones. Though ours are overly golden because we let our little ones loose with the egg wash and they don’t have a limit.
Extras. You can also add in extras such as dried fruit, cheese, or just keep it simple with some caster sugar.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this air fryer scone recipe, it has just been our Philips Air Fryer. We have this one and its wonderful for air fryer baking, as well as for other air fryer classics.
How To Make Air Fryer Scones?
- Prep. Load into a mixing bowl flour, sugar, and butter. Chop the butter into small bite sized chunks as it will be easier to prep your scones. Then using your fingertips rub the fat into the flour and sugar until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Extras. Now add in your extras if adding anything such as grated cheese, pumpkin puree, diced strawberries etc.
- Milk. Next add a little mix at a time and mix with your hands until you have scone dough. Then roll out your dough and using a medium sized cutter, cut your scones.
- Air Fry. Load the scones into the air fryer, brush with egg wash and air fry for approximately 7 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.
Air Fryer Reheat Scones
You can also use the air fryer to reheat your scones. Simply place uneaten scones back into the air fryer basket and cook for 3 minutes at 160c/320f. For if they are large scones that have not been sliced in half, increase the cook time to 5 minutes.
What To Serve With Air Fryer Scones?
I love to serve my scones with strawberries, strawberry jam and cream. I am a strawberry addict, and nothing beats strawberries being cooked this way.
What I love to do (which also saves on washing up) is to load my strawberries, cooked scones and strawberry jam into the strawberry box and serve them in the sunshine with a couple of plates and a bottle of squirty cream.
Then everyone can help themselves and you can all tuck in together.
More Delicious Air Fryer Baking Recipes
Air Fryer Scones
- Place flour and sugar in a bowl and mix. Add in cubed butter.
- Rub the fat into the flour. Do this with your fingertips until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add in enough milk to make a soft dough, for us this was 60ml. Then roll out your dough on a floured worktop and aim for at least 1.5cm thick or your scones will be too small.
- Using cutters, cut your dough to medium sized scones and then place in the air fryer basket.
- Spray the air fryer basket with extra virgin olive oil to prevent sticking and then brush the tops and sides of the scones with egg wash.
- Air fry for 5 minutes on 180c/360f, followed by a further 2 minutes at 160c/320f.
- Serve with strawberry jam, sliced strawberries and cream.