Air Fryer Bundt Cake Breakfast Casserole. How to cook delicious bundt style breakfast casserole in the air fryer. Loaded with sausages, cheese, sweet potato, peppers, and onion, this is a fantastic make ahead breakfast treat.
You will love how the air fry sautés your casserole, then cooks it and how you can reheat it in the air fryer too. Perfect for make ahead for the holidays or for a nice make ahead treat for workdays.
This is anupdate of my air fryer breakfast casserole recipe that I originally published in late 2020.
Bundt Cake Breakfast
I hear the words “bundt cake” and I suddenly go into fits of giggles. I am thinking about the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding and the American family have brought a bundt cake with them.
The Greek family can not pronounce it at all and are clueless to what a bundt cake was.
That was me too. Up until watching the movie, I had never heard of a bundt cake and still don’t have a bundt cake pan in my kitchen.
But having eaten a lot of bundt cakes since the movie (did it put bundt cakes on the international map?) I ended up with a much better plan B.
I was gifted a party ring mould. Meant for a giant party ring cake, it is the perfect size for my air fryer basket, wipes clean and OMG makes the best fake bundt cake breakfast.
Today I wanted to show you how to make a fun breakfast casserole for the holidays in the shape and size of a bundt cake breakfast. It is magical and perfect for reheating later too.
Yes, I am talking to you, that loves to make ahead and free up your time during the holidays!
Plus, as well as our free newsletter, we also have a free air fryer mini course. It is ideal for air fryer beginners or those that want to get more confident with their air fryer. The free course runs for 5 days with a new lesson delivered each day to your inbox.
What Is A Breakfast Bundt Casserole?
In simple terms a breakfast bundt casserole is simply a breakfast casserole cooked in a bundt pan. Though others might know it as a savoury breakfast bundt cake.
Or in our recipe, using a silicone mould that looks like a bundt pan and cooking it in the air fryer.
What Is A Breakfast Casserole?
If you are not American the chances are, you will not have heard of a breakfast casserole. In fact, I only heard of it after being introduced to it by one of our readers.
My first thought when he described a breakfast casserole to me, is that it is similar to our air fryer frittata.
Air fryer frittata, egg casserole, breakfast casserole, or even the Spanish potato omelette are all similar meals that you can make in the air fryer.
The breakfast casserole ingredients are:
- Sweet Potatoes
If you were British would probably call it a sausage and cheese frittata or a crustless sausage quiche. Just like the Spanish potato omelette it is very heavy on eggs and this keeps you full for hours. Plus, this is excellent for saving you money because you would only need to serve one small slice to each guest for breakfast or brunch.
There are about a zillion variations of a breakfast casserole and many go beyond eggs, cheese, sausage, and onion.
For example, I see many with peppers, bread, sweet potatoes and hash browns.
Can You Cook Casseroles In An Air Fryer?
Yes you can. Casseroles are FANTASTIC in the air fryer, if you use the air fryer to its full potential.
The way I see air fryer casseroles being cooked wrong is that they start on the stove and then end in the air fryer. Essentially meaning the air fryer is ONLY used as a grill and not for the whole casserole.
You want to sauté your casserole filling in the air fryer, mix in eggs and then finish the breakfast casserole in an air fryer friendly baking pan.
Reheat Breakfast Casserole
As well as sautéing the casserole and baking the casserole in the air fryer, you can also reheat the breakfast casserole.
What I recommend for reheating a breakfast casserole in the air fryer is chopping it into casserole slices and then loading up to 3 at a time in your air fryer basket.
The ideal reheating cook time is JUST 4 minutes at a 160c/320f temperature.
Add your favourite sauce and you have warm breakfast casserole.
How To Cook Air Fryer Breakfast Casserole
- Prep. Start by getting the ingredients ready for your savoury breakfast casserole. I like to slice up the peppers, peel and dice the sweet potatoes, chop the sausages up and chop up the onion.
- Sauté. Next load your sweet potato, onion and peppers into a bowl, toss in seasoning and extra virgin olive oil and then load into the air fryer. Then the air fryer does the job of sauteing your veggies for your air fryer casserole.
- Cook. Next you want to shake the air fryer, add in the sausages (they don’t take as long as the other ingredients to cook) and air fry some more.
- Prep. Then whilst the air fryer is working its magic on your breakfast bundt casserole sausage and veggies, you can prep everything else. Crack eggs and sour cream into a bowl and mix well with a fork. Add in grated cheese and extra seasoning and make sure its ready for when the air fryer beeps.
- Pour. Then when the air fryer beeps load your air fryer ingredients into your bundt pan, pour over your eggs and cheese mixture and load the bundt pan into the air fryer.
- Final. Then do a final cook and you have a yummy bundt pan breakfast casserole.
Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole
You can of course make ahead your breakfast casserole and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days, or 7 days if it is meat free.
You have three options:
- Sauté your vegetables and mix with eggs and then fridge for the main air fryer bake when you need it.
- Fully cook your breakfast casserole then reheat when you want to eat the slices.
- Make ahead and then slice up and freeze. Then you can reheat from the freezer whenever you need some.
Bundt Cake Breakfast Recipe Ingredients
Sausages – This is a key ingredient for the best ever bundt cake breakfast. Nothing is the same without the sausages. What I do is go to the butchers, choose the best sausages, and then get a mix of flavours. Then cut some up and then you have a few with chives in, a few with sage, a few spicy ones etc and it adds great flavour to your air fryer breakfast casserole recipe.
Peppers – I love the colours of the peppers in my breakfast casserole. Of course, that is me and you might not want peppers. If you don’t swap them for mushrooms instead.
Sweet Potatoes – These give your casserole the potatoes and really make it feel hearty without it being starchy.
Cheese – A breakfast casserole wouldn’t be the same without plenty of cheese. We use both cheddar and mozzarella.
Onion – I also recommend adding in some onion. You can use red onion, white onion, or spring onion. Or why not use some shallots?
Cream – I also recommend adding in some cream to your breakfast casserole. That way it will help bind the casserole and add a little extra to the texture. I recommend sour cream, but you might have another favourite.
Eggs – As this is a breakfast casserole or as you might call it a bundt breakfast cake, it is essential that it is loaded with eggs. You can use any type and I recommend large eggs.
Seasonings – We are also including plenty of amazing seasonings to stop it from being bland. You can keep it simple if you prefer with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this bundt cake breakfast recipe, it has just been our Philips Air Fryer. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of air fryer recipes and perfectly fits a bundt cake breakfast and then you can reuse it for the leftovers.
When Do You Know When Breakfast Casserole Is Done?
Place a cocktail stick into the centre of the breakfast casserole and if it comes out clean it is DONE.
Then if in doubt, slice a knife through the centre and if it slices well without any water coming away it is DONE.
Can You Freeze Breakfast Casserole?
Yes you can freeze breakfast casserole. Slice it up ready for how you would reheat it and then load the slices onto a flat tray or chopping board.
Lay in the freeze like this for about an hour.
Then transfer your breakfast casserole slices into a freezer bag.
It will now keep its shape without the breakfast casserole slices sticking together and take up less room in your freezer.
Breakfast Casserole Temp & Time?
The recommended temperature for cooking your breakfast casserole is varying it between 180c/360f and 160c/320f.
Then you can focus on 180c for cooking it and 160c for getting it in the middle and not burning the top of it when it is almost done.
For cook time it takes JUST 21 minutes to use the air fryer to bake your breakfast casserole. Then an extra 11 minutes for sauteing your ingredients.
How Long Does Breakfast Casserole Keep?
You can place your breakfast casserole in the fridge, and it will be good for reheating for 3 days.
Or load just cooked (but chilled) breakfast casserole into the freezer and it will be good for 3 months.
More Air Fryer Breakfast Ideas:
- Air Fryer Soft Boiled Eggs
- Air Fryer Scrambled Eggs
- Air Fryer English Breakfast
- Air Fryer Egg Cups
- Air Fryer Omelette
Air Fryer Bundt Cake Breakfast Casserole
- Air Fryer
- Silicone Party Ring Mould
Bundt Breakfast Cake Ingredients:
- Peel and dice your sweet potato. Cut the pepper, remove the seeds and chop into chunks. Slice up the spring onion. Toss in a bowl with extra virgin olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Air fry for 5 minutes at 180c/360f and then add in the sausages which you have chopped into quarters.
- Air fry for a further 6 minutes at the same temperature until the sausages are cooked.
- Whilst the air fryer is working its magic prep the other ingredients. Crack eggs into a bowl with sour cream and mix with a fork. Add in grated cheese and seasonings.
- When the air fryer beeps load the contents into your bundt pan and then pour the batter over.
- Place the bundt pan into the air fryer basket and cook for 15 minutes at 180c/360f. Reduce the temperature to 160c/320f and cook for a final 6 minutes to ensure the middle is fully cooked.