After Eight Ice Cream. Learn how to make a refreshing, easy, Italian style after eight ice cream at home with your ice cream maker.
You only need a small portion of after eight mints to make this ice cream. Making it fantastic for leftovers or serve this at your next dinner party for the wow factor.
Our after eight ice cream recipe was originally shared on Recipe This in 2016 and we decided to update it for you, create some new photos and give you even more information about how to make homemade mint ice cream in the ice cream maker.
Table of Contents
After Eight Mints
I will start by saying that after eight mints is something that I have grown up with. They have been part of my childhood and I couldn’t imagine not eating them. They were (and still are) my Dad’s favourite chocolate.
Every Christmas people would buy him for Christmas and at family gatherings there would always be some after eight mints doing the rounds.
Whenever there was a copycat version of after eight mints he would not be pleased, and I would get to eat them.
I was looking through our ice cream maker recipes category and checking out what classic ice cream recipes I have done vs not done.
Mint chocolate ice cream had kind of passed me by and with After Eight Mints being on offer this week in the supermarket I thought why not?
Why not chop up some After Eight Mints into some ice cream and enjoy a real treat.
If you love mints, love ice cream and love After Eight Mints then this is for you. Though beware you may find yourself bingeing on them before they even make their way into the freezer.
What Are After Eights?
After eight mints, or also known as after 8 mints, or known as after mint chocolate thins, are a brand of peppermint cream that has been covered in milk chocolate.
Due to their TV ads, they are often associated with being the after dinner mint and something to serve with coffee or liquor after a meal.
After eight mints are manufactured by the popular Nestle chocolate brand after being purchased from Rowntree.
Homemade After Eight Ice Cream
Many supermarkets like Tesco’s and Iceland sell after eight ice cream, but I love making my own homemade after eight mint ice cream.
It works like it does with making our ice cream maker vanilla ice cream. You prepare the ice cream, load it into the ice cream maker, then when the ice cream is halfway through its churning, then you can add in the after eight mints.
Ice Cream Maker After Eight Ice Cream Ingredients
Yolks – You will need four egg yolks to make a batch of after 8 mint ice cream. You can also use two egg yolks and make a smaller batch.
Sugar – We recommend using caster sugar for the best results with your homemade ice cream. I have tried other sugars and it has not been as nice.
Cream. You don’t need double cream or as some call it, heavy cream. Instead, some single cream will make you amazing creamy ice cream.
Milk – You will also need some whole milk. Don’t use semi or skimmed milk as it will not produce a creamy ice cream because it is too thin.
Extras. You can also add in extras such as vanilla essence, cinnamon, peppermint extract, nutmeg, or even pumpkin spice for a Halloween ice cream.
Those are of course, what you use with ANY ice cream maker recipe. Then of course you want to add in the diced after eight dinner mints. I recommend placing your dinner mints in the fridge and then dicing them. As once the after eight mints are at room temperature, they are much harder to prep.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this homemade mint ice cream recipe, it has just been our Italian Ice Cream Maker. We have this one and its wonderful for churning any of your classic ice creams.
How To Make After Eight Ice Cream Maker Recipe?
- Prep. Whisk together egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy. You can make this process easier with an electric hand mixer.
- Cook. Heat the milk and the single cream in a pan with the vanilla essence. Add in the egg mixture and stir on a high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Chill. Place your pan contents into a bowl and fridge for 2 hours or load into the freezer for 30 minutes. You need your mixture chilled otherwise it will not churn properly.
- Pour. Load the contents into the ice cream maker (once chilled) and churn for 40 minutes. Halfway through the churning add in your diced after 8 mints and it will carry on churning with the mint chocolate.
Can You Freeze After Eight Mints?
Yes, you can! The fantastic thing about After Eight Mints is that they freeze incredibly well.
Also, once your mints are in the ice cream you have wonderful gooey bits of peppermint in the ice cream that is like caramel once frozen.
More Ice Cream Machine Recipes
- Ice Cream Maker White Chocolate Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Maker Raspberry Ripple
- Ice Cream Maker Caramel Chew Chew
- Ice Cream Maker Rainbow Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Maker Lemon Sorbet
Ice Cream Maker After Eight Ice Cream
- In a saucepan on a medium heat mix in your milk and cream. Add your vanilla essence and make sure it is heated up well. Place to one side.
- In a small mixing bowl add your egg yolks and caster sugar and mix well with a good electric whisk. When it is light and fluffy add it to your pan, mix in and then place in the fridge for an hour to cool.
- Place your contents in your ice cream maker and allow whirling for about 20 minutes.
- Chop up the After 8 Mints into small sizes and add them gradually to the ice cream maker. Allow to continue to whirl for a further 25 minutes until the ice cream is fully set. Place into ice cream pots and freeze for about an hour. Serve.