Philips Air Fryer Vs Air Fryer Oven Vs Tefal Actifry
This Post Contains Affiliate Links. Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Philips Air Fryer Vs Air Fryer Oven Vs Tefal Actifry. Today I wanted to run through the differences between the most common air fryers including the Philips Air Fryer, the Power Air Fryer Oven and the Tefal Actifry.
Philips Air Fryer Vs Air Fryer Oven Vs Tefal Actifry
As an air fryer blogger for many, many years, I often get asked what is the best air fryer? Or what is the difference between the different air fryers?
I can understand why it can become overwhelming and why people want to know the difference between the different air fryers as it can be confusing.
The air fryers that get mentioned the most to me are:
Whenever I ask my air fryer community which air fryer, they have 90% of the time they will mention one of the three above. I also have a few customers with some other brands such as the Tower Air Fryer and Bella Air Fryer.
But what I like about the Philips Air Fryer, Tefal Actifry and the Power Air Fryer Oven, is that they represent totally different types of air fryer cooking and are great for different types of air fryer customers.
That is why I wanted to compare the Philips Air Fryer vs Power Air Fryer Oven Vs Tefal Actifry with you today.
What Is An Air Fryer?
However, you may be wondering what on earth an air fryer is, let alone wanting to find out more about the different types of air fryers.
In a nutshell, an air fryer is a kitchen gadget that cooks from warm air and because of this requires very little or no oil during the cooking process.
They are known as a diet gadget because you can have amazing Air Fryer Fries for the same calories as a baked potato, yet they taste as good as deep fried fries.
Air Fryers are as easy to use as a slow cooker and after originally being popular in South East Asia and Europe they have expanded to the rest of the world in recent years.
For a more detailed explanation of what an air fryer is, check out my air fryer infographic below:
Philips Air Fryer
I would call the Philips Air Fryer the regular air fryer. Many similar air fryers have been made based on the Philips model and the Philips brand was the original air fryer.
Many of the air fryers you see will be of a similar size to the Philips Air Fryer and out of all air fryers they are the easiest to get used to using as a beginner to air fryers.
Quite often I look at a cheap air fryer brand and it feels like it a carbon copy of Philips with just a different brand name to it.
- The biggest benefit of the Philips Air Fryer is that it offers the best quality. Buy a Philips Air Fryer and it will still work perfectly 3 years later when your guarantee is over. In fact, our first Philips Air Fryer lasted more than 5 years of daily use.
- Beginners love the Philips Air Fryer because it is a simple to use basket and you can dump and start it without a big list of buttons to get confused over.
- It is an expensive Air Fryer. There is no denying the fact that if you want to buy a Philips Air Fryer it is going to cost a lot of money. Especially if you compare it to the own brand offerings at your local supermarket or electrical store. But you’re buying quality and I would gladly buy one again and again.
- It has a different type of basket. If you take a closer look the Philips Basket is made of different material to others, so it doesn’t need seasoning with oil prior to use. This is a deciding factor for many air fryer buyers.
- It’s easy to clean. Some air fryers can be a nightmare to clean but with Philips, it is done in no time. We don’t have a dishwasher and instead wrote how to clean your air fryer which we regularly follow.
Power Air Fryer Oven
The Power Air Fryer Oven (or any air fryer oven) is what I call the big boys of the air fryer world. That is because it is all about the size. When you get a Philips Air Fryer, or the standard air fryer, you have one basket to work with. Whatever you can fit in that space is kind of what you can cook.
But upgrade to an air fryer oven and suddenly you have new air fryer opportunities.
You can cook a larger Air Fryer Rotisserie Chicken, use the dehydrator to make beef jerky, use it for your morning toast and even bake a cake in it.
For me the main addiction is the ability to be able to cook a big batch of chicken and potatoes at the same time.
- It’s the air fryer for families. If there is more than 2 of you, I would highly recommend getting an air fryer oven. It is perfect for cooking meat alongside potatoes and vegetables at the same time.
- It is like having a mini oven. Think of what your oven can achieve, and you achieve more but with a better food texture. Imagine those traybakes and sheet pan dinners but with a better crisp to them.
- It gets hotter. This is perfect for your cook times because you can reduce your cooking time. One of our readers that has both a regular air fryer and a Power Air Fryer Oven, says his cooking time has been reduced by 10%.
- It is compact. Upgrading from a Philips Air Fryer XL I was expecting the Power Air Fryer Oven to be HUGE but it really isn’t. It easily fits into our kitchen and sits proudly next to our XL.
- It Preheats. I love the fact that the Power Air Fryer Oven does the preheat for you, so that you don’t have to worry about doing it.
The Tefal Actifry is often overlooked. This is because a classic air fryer is like a convection oven and an Actifry is more like a halogen oven. In a way it is very different and hard to do a straightforward comparison.
The biggest thing with the Tefal Actifry is how much it has improved over the years, compared to how it was when it first launched.
- Bad For Space. The reason why many years ago we chose Philips over Tefal was because of space. The Tefal Actifry is not as tall but for its shape, you need a big kitchen space to be able to keep one. I like to have both my Instant Pot and Air Fryer out at the same time and Tefal wouldn’t fit.
- Good starting point. If you are a complete beginner to the world of air frying and just want to cook French Fries then the Tefal is a great starting point before you upgrade to a better Air Fryer.
- Built For French Fries. You may laugh but the Air Fryer was originally built for deep frying. It was meant as a low calorie option for cooking Frozen French Fries, Frozen Chicken Nuggets and of course Frozen Fish Sticks. The Tefal Actifry is perfect for this and their original model has now improved to cook other foods too.
- The App. Isn’t it fantastic to have a big app full of recipe ideas for the Tefal? Well that is what you get when you purchase a Tefal Actifry.
- Cooking Settings. Like the Power Air Fryer Oven there are lots of preset buttons for a range of things you would cook in your Actifry.
Which Air Fryer Should You Buy?
In summary I have shared with you the three different types of air fryers. They all offer different models for each of these air fryer types, they all sell for a similar price, so you’re truly spoilt for choice. But you’re probably wondering which air fryer you should buy?
- Should you buy the Philips Air Fryer?
- Should you buy the Tefal Actifry?
- Should you buy the Power Air Fryer Oven?
Well the way I would make my buying choice is through how you plan on using it and what level air fryer user you are.
- Beginners should get the Tefal Actifry or the basic non-digital Philips Air Fryer
- Intermediate should get the Philips XL or the bigger Philips XXL
- Advanced users should get the Power Air Fryer Oven
- Big Families should get the Philips Air Fryer XXL or the Power Air Fryer Oven.
- Single Households should get the compact Dash Air Fryer as it is perfect for one.
- French Fries Addicts should get the Philips XL as they taste stunning.
- Rotisserie Chicken Fanatics should get the Power Air Fryer Oven and watch the delicious chicken rotate as it cooks.
After many, many years using an Air Fryer, hand on heart I would truly recommend getting the Philips Air Fryer XL to start with and then later expand into the world of Air Fryer Ovens such as the Power brand later. Or like us have both the Power and the Philips in the kitchen together.
There are of course other brands of classic air fryers such as Cosori, or the Tower Air Fryer as an alternative to Tefal and more Air Fryer Oven brands that you can imagine.
Below is one of my readers from London showcasing her Tower Air Fryer. As you can see it is huge and it helps her cook a big Sunday dinner for her family.
Or meet my American reader who has the trendy looking red Power Air Fryer Oven as well as the Cosori Air Fryer. It also gives you a fantastic comparison of size. I am staring at his red Air Fryer and thinking that I could fit at least double in it!
Where To Buy Your Power Air Fryer Oven?
I recommend either Amazon or Ebay as the best places to buy a new Air Fryer. They are competitively priced and delivered direct to your door.
- Get the Tefal Actifry on Ebay
- Get the Tefal Actifry on Amazon
- Get The Philips Air Fryer on Ebay
- Get The Philips Air Fryer On Amazon
- Get The Power Air Fryer Oven On Ebay
- Get The Power Air Fryer Oven On Amazon
Can’t read it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Facebook Group | Pinterest | Twitter
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more:
I just wanted to come back and say thanks for this great comparison. I went with the Philips Air Fryer in the end as read a lot of bad reviews on the Tefal and it suits me better.