Air Fryer Taco Pie. How to cook a delicious taco pie in your air fryer. Everything is cooked in the same air fryer cake pan and it is an easy dump and start air fryer dinner.
Air Fryer Taco Pie
After sharing with you yesterday how to make delicious Air Fryer Taco Bowls I thought I could carry on with our air fryer taco theme today and show you how to make the most delicious ever air fryer taco pie.
The inspiration behind todays air fryer taco pie is Pinterest. I was loading up my Pinterest account to check on it and an Instant Pot Taco Pie recipe showed up in my feed.
I have never had or tried taco pie before and like most Instant Pot recipes that involve a post grill it made me mad.
After all, if you’re going to use an Instant Pot, it is all about cooking in a multipot. Not moving the food to the oven to melt the cheese.
I had some spare beef in the fridge from another recipe I was making and while Dominic and Kyle were working late in the office I surprised them with an air fryer taco pie.
Kyle who is lasagne mad, absolutely loved it and I noticed that the leftovers from the fridge had gone later when he was on the typical teenage boy midnight fridge raid.
What Is Taco Pie?
But first, you might not have heard of taco pie, so let me give you a run through on this truly delicious Mexican dinner.
First, the filling for a taco pie is the same filling that you would use for tacos. In this case we’re using minced beef (also known as ground beef) as well as beans and other filling items that you would load into a Mexican lasagne.
Second, it is very much like what a lasagne is like with its various layers and many people compare it a Mexican lasagne.
The only main difference between a Mexican lasagne and a taco pie is that the layers are separated with tortilla wraps rather than lasagne sheets.
I also find a taco pie easier to prep than lasagne as you’re just adding grated cheese rather than having to make a cheese sauce.
Air Fryer Taco Pie With Black Beans
My favourite ingredient for making tacos is black beans. They are a popular food here in Portugal and I always have a few cans of black beans sat in my pantry.
What I tend to do when I make tacos in the air fryer, is load the minced beef up with lots of extras. That way that taco meat that was enough to feed two will easily stretch to the five of us.
I will drain some black beans and add it to the air fryer cake pan along with other ingredients I plan to use.
For example, in this recipe I am sharing with you today for air fryer taco pie I am also including:
- Frozen Sweetcorn
- White Onion
- Tinned Tomatoes
Then you have a cake pan that is super full of ingredients and once the minced beef is cooked, you can get into the process of layering up your taco pie with your favourite tortilla wraps.
You can also swap tortilla wraps for other favourites such as:
- Crescent Rolls
- Tortilla Shells
Or if you’re frugal like me, then you could use leftovers from one of those taco dinner kits as I always find you have something left from them.
How To Cook Air Fryer Taco Pie?
Cooking taco pie in the air fryer is split into 3 easy to follow sections:
- Taco Pie Section #1 – Cook your minced beef, white onion, seasonings and tinned tomatoes first. This kickstarts the cooking process. While the beef is cooking you can prep the next set of ingredients that way, you’re ready when the air fryer beeps.
- Taco Pie Section #2 – Add in your drained sweetcorn, black beans, salsa and the rest of the seasonings. Mix well and cook for a little longer. This is done separate to section 1 because you’re warming the ingredients rather than cooking.
- Taco Pie Section #3 – The taco filling is removed from the cake pan to a separate bowl and the layers are formed. It starts with tortilla wraps, then filling, then cheese and then is done several times until you reach the top of your cake pan. It is now cooked for a few extra minutes to melt the cheese.
It is such an easy Mexican recipe to follow and air fryer taco pie is certainly a favourite now in the Milner house.
What To Serve With Taco Pie?
What I love about Air Fryer Taco Pie is that it is perfect to be served up with other Instant Pot & Air Fryer Favourites.
I like to serve my taco pie with one of the following:
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges – I love air fryer potato wedges and they taste so good along with your taco pie. You can also use your leftover salsa as a potato wedges dipping sauce.
- Instant Pot Black Beans + Rice – A healthy side dish and you can use your leftover black beans with this dish. Because it’s a filling rice dish it is perfect for stretching your air fryer taco pie to feed more people.
- Air Fryer Street Corn – Another great use of leftover corn on the cob and just load it into the Instant Pot and finish it off in the Air Fryer.
Air Fryer Taco Pie
- Peel and dice your onion into small chunks. Place your minced beef, tinned tomatoes, onion, taco, salt and pepper into the cake pan. Mix well.
- Place the cake pan inside the air fryer basket and cook for 8 minutes at 180c/360f. Or until the minced beef is almost cooked.
- Add your drained black beans, sweetcorn and salsa. Cook for a further 4 minutes at the same temperature.
- Remove the cake pan contents into a spare bowl.
- In your cake pan start tearing off your tortilla wraps until you have a layer on the bottom. Add a layer of your taco filling, using the back of a spoon to flatten it out. Add a layer of cheese. Then repeat this with a layer of tortilla wraps, a layer of taco and a layer of cheese until you have reached the top of your cake pan.
- Sprinkle the last bit of cheese on the top and place it back in the air fryer. Cook for a further 5 minutes at 200c/400f and then serve warm.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: