Air Fryer Pork Ribs. How to use an air fryer to air fry pork ribs, including the best ever air fryer pork ribs recipe, what marinade to use and how to prepare your air fryer pork ribs. An all in one tutorial so that you can make delicious pork ribs in the air fryer every time!
Air Fryer Pork Ribs
Today is the second part of a 3 part series showing you how to cook ribs in the air fryer.
So, if you love ribs and want to learn how to cook ribs in your air fryer, then I have a real treat in store for you.
I have a huge love for pork ribs, but for me when I think of ribs, my mind goes to Slow Cooker Chinese Spare Ribs and the way the meat literally falls off the bone.
I don’t like a chewy rib and I love the fact you can throw it all in the slow cooker and forget about it until later.
It was also our slow cooker Chinese spare ribs that first introduced our daughter to meat on the bone and now she loves meat on the bone more, than meat off the bone.
You should see her eating air fryer frozen chicken wings!
But that is what has always made me hesitant about making air fryer pork ribs.
- What if my air fryer pork ribs are chewy?
- What if my air fryer pork chops are tough?
- What if you air fryer pork chops didn’t cook properly?
And the list goes on and on. But many of our loyal readers here at Recipe This have been asking us when we will be making air fryer ribs, well I have bit the bullet and OMG I am in LOVE with how AMAZING air fryer ribs are.
If you’re into ribs and want to try out air fryer ribs, or more specifically air fryer pork ribs, then take a seat and get ready for a delicious air fryer taste sensation.
Plus, as well as our free newsletter, we also have a free air fryer mini course. It is ideal for air fryer beginners or those that want to get more confident with their air fryer. The free course runs for 5 days with a new lesson delivered each day to your inbox.
Can You Air Fry Ribs?
Yes, you can. Ribs in air fryer are amazing and similar to ribs that you have cooked on the barbecue or on the grill.
The biggest thing to consider with ribs in the air fryer is that they will fit in the air fryer that you are using.
For example, we have the Philips Air Fryer XL and the Power Air Fryer Oven and I cant fit a pack of ribs in my Philips as its too small. But I can fit ribs in the air fryer oven.
Or if space is an issue for you, then can you slice your ribs before cooking rather than after cooking.
Can You Cook Pork Ribs In An Air Fryer?
Yes, you can. The air fryer is fantastic for many different types of ribs, including pork ribs. You can do spare ribs in the air fryer, country ribs in the air fryer, beef ribs in the air fryer and many others.
Though my all time favourite is air fryer BBQ ribs with a Chinese style barbecue sauce.
Air Fryer Oven Pork Ribs
Firstly, I should mention that these delicious air fryer pork ribs are possible thanks to our Power Air Fryer Oven. If you don’t have an air fryer oven yet, then I highly recommend upgrading your air fryer basket to an air fryer oven.
They make so many of your air fryer meat and air fryer meat and potato dishes taste so much better than the regular air fryer. Plus, you have so much more room. You can watch our air fryer oven unboxing video here.
When you cook air fryer oven pork ribs you cook them on the 2nd to top shelf and they cook directly on the shelf that you get with the air fryer oven.
It’s a similar material to the air fryer baskets and you have a drip tray at the bottom to catch any excess marinade or juices.
It is like how you would cook your ribs on the barbecue and is perfect for when you are craving those barbecues and its not the right weather for the grill to be on.
Ribs In Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Asian Ribs?
- Air Fryer Barbecue Ribs?
- Air Fryer Chinese Ribs?
- Air Fryer Teriyaki Ribs?
I am sure one of the above will apply to your favourite type of marinade that you like to have on your ribs.
For me, the first time I ever had ribs was in a Chinese restaurant when I was 11, so I would say my version is a mix between air fryer Chinese ribs and air fryer barbecue ribs.
But the greatest thing of all about air fryer pork ribs, is that you can make them your own. You choose the marinade that you love the most.
If a basic air fryer Asian rib is for you, then great, or you might prefer straight forward air fryer barbecue ribs.
Or how about the frugal in you, have a look at what you have in your pantry, find a nice sauce and load it onto your spare ribs.
For example, I have a lovely Jamaican barbecue marinade in my pantry, and it is just begging to be made into yummy air fryer ribs.
Air Fryer Sticky Ribs
Though, note above that I mentioned lots of different wet style marinades and a dry rub for air fryer ribs was not mentioned.
That is because through numerous recipe testing experiments, I have found that air fryer sticky ribs are the way to go.
Without your air fryer ribs being sticky it lacks the moisture it needs to make the best tasting ribs. Otherwise you are at risk of dry, bland ribs.
So just follow the general rule to make air fryer sticky ribs and just go with a marinade that fits in with that theme. Though don’t worry if you want inspiration, we will be sharing the marinade we have used.
Air Fryer Pork Ribs Marinade
This marinade is my old one that I have used for many years. It has received a lot of slow cooker action over the years and it works well for the air fryer too.
If you have ever heard the saying “don’t fix it until it is broken” well this certainly applies when making the marinade for my air fryer pork ribs.
Into a mixing bowl goes:
- 3Tbsp Honey
- 2Tbsp Barbecue Sauce
- 2Tsp Soy Sauce
- 1Tsp Garlic Puree
- 1Tbsp Chinese Seasoning (we use this one)
- 1Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1Tsp Pork Seasoning
Though special mentions in our air fryer pork ribs marinade go to the following:
- Honey and barbecue sauce – this is important as this is what creates the sticky sauce. If you don’t add enough you will end up with a watery sauce.
- Soy Sauce – I would love to add more but if you add too much soy sauce it makes your marinade too watery. Also, thanks to the soy sauce you don’t need to add salt to your marinade.
- Pork Seasoning – This works like a stock that brings additional flavour to the pork.
- Chinese Seasoning – I absolutely love Chinese 5 Spice it is amazing and if you don’t have any it is really cheap on Amazon and you can use it in all kinds of Asian cooking. I can’t get it in my local supermarket and bulk buy it in the local Asian shop.
Air Fryer Pork Ribs Temperature?
The temperature that we cooked our air fryer pork ribs at was 180c/360f. We experimented and found that a medium temperature was best. That stops the pork ribs from being tough and gives them a more tender texture.
How To Cook Ribs In Air Fryer?
We cooked our pork ribs in the air fryer for 25 minutes. At first, I thought 25 minutes doesn’t seem a lot. But when you consider the air fryer pork ribs are close to the top of the air fryer oven, you can appreciate how they can be cooked in JUST 25 minutes.
Air Fryer Pork Ribs Recipe
To bring you our air fryer pork ribs recipe, we experimented with both already sliced individual ribs and a pack of pork ribs. What we found was the sliced already were much easier to burn and the pack of them cooked better.
How Long To Cook Ribs In Air Fryer?
So, todays air fryer pork ribs recipe uses a pack of ribs that are sliced up after cooking.
- Prep your marinade. I mixed the marinade ingredients in a small bowl with a fork. If it feels too runny then add in extra barbecue sauce and extra honey.
- Place your pack of ribs on your air fryer oven shelf and then brush both sides with the marinade.
- Place the pork ribs in the air fryer and set the time and temp.
- When it beeps brush with a little more barbecue sauce and serve.
Air Fryer Pork Ribs
- Place all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well with a fork. If the marinade is not sticky enough, then add in extra honey and barbecue sauce.
- Place your pork ribs on the air fryer oven shelf and brush both sides with your marinade, reserving a little for after cooking.
- Place the pork ribs on the 2nd from top shelf of the air fryer oven. Set the temperature to 180c/360f and the time to 25 minutes and cook. Serve.