Air Fryer Dehydrated Cucumber Chips
This Post Contains Affiliate Links. Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
The ultimate guide to dehydrated cucumber chips in the air fryer. If you want to make air fryer cucumber chips and have a dehydrator setting on your air fryer, then this is dedicated to you.
We are using the Ninja Foodi dehydrator setting to transform slices of cucumber into dehydrated cucumber chips. A healthy dehydrated snack that shouts out Netflix Marathon!
Last summer I surprised everyone by introducing you to dehydrating food in the air fryer and more specifically dehydrated watermelon.
Many were fascinated by the fact that you could take a fruit that was famous for its high water content and turn it into something that tasted like candy but was super low in calories and perfect for a healthy snack.
Well, we are back this summer with another high water dehydrated healthy snack and this is dehydrated cucumber.
Also known as cucumber chips, they can be quickly sliced with a mandolin and then loaded into the air fryer.
Our dehydrated cucumber is also part of our dehydrator week we are having and follows on from how to dehydrate marshmallows, dried garlic, dried onion and below you will find even more dehydrated air fryer recipes.
Check out dehydrated peaches, dehydrated raspberries, dehydrated blueberries, dehydrated strawberries, dehydrated bananas and of course we have many more.
We loved the idea, that we could use our air fryer we a dehydrator. And you could too if you have an air fryer that has a temperature of 55c/130f.
Though today is all about dehydrated cucumber. Getting a typical cucumber from the fridge, slicing it up and loading it up onto the shelves of your dehydrator accessory. Or if using an air fryer oven, simply fill up the shelves!
Are You New To The Air Fryer?
Plus, as well as our extremely popular air fryer mini course which teaches you the air fryer basics in 5 days, we also have our air fryer bucket list. That is loaded with 30 FREE bucket list worthy air fryer recipes.
Click here or on the banner above and you will have access to both in an instant.
Can You Dehydrate Cucumbers?
Yes, you can dehydrate cucumbers and I highly recommend doing so. And OMG it’s a total saver of food waste too.
I mean how often do we buy in all those salad items and then change our minds, or we don’t eat it all, and have half a cumber sat in the fridge.
This is when this cucumber chips air fryer method becomes your new BFF. That is because you can quickly slice and dump in the air fryer and then you can make your cucumbers last much longer.
Can You Air Fry Cucumbers?
Yes, you sure can. You can take a typical cucumber and slice it up and air fry the cucumber as cucumber chips, or if you are in the UK like me, you might call them cucumber crisps.
Can You Dehydrate Vegetables In An Air Fryer?
Yes, you can. It amazes me how many different foods you can dehydrate either in a dehydrator or using the dehydrator air fryer setting like we do.
One of those great foods for the dehydrator is veggies. My favourite so far is dehydrated beet chips, or beetroot crisps if you are in the UK.
You can also expand on this to carrots, mushrooms, zucchini (courgettes), and so many more.
Are Cucumbers Good Dehydrated?
Yes, they are! Dehydrated cucumber chips are AMAZING and well worth making in your dehydrator at home.
You can have them as an alternative to chips/crisps and then have them as your go to healthy snack. You can take them to work with you, have them for road trips, or even for evenings as an alternative to regular crisps.
What Can Dehydrated Cucumbers Be Used For?
For me, the main use of my cucumber chips is to avoid food waste. You can dehydrate a small portion of cucumber or loads of it. Then once made, you have up to a 2 year shelf life and can use it as a snack.
You could also add it to school lunch boxes too.
How Do I Dehydrate Cucumbers In Air Fryer?
The first time I dehydrated in an air fryer was with the Power Air Fryer Oven (I had this one) and you could load the shelves with sliced cucumber.
But now I have the Ninja Foodi I use the Ninja Foodi dehydrator accessory. (more about it here) Of course, you don’t have to, but when you do it allows you to dehydrate quite a lot of dried cucumber at the same time. Because it is a stackable unit that turns your ninja foodi into a classic dehydrator machine.
Then you simply place the Ninja Foodi (with the air fryer lid) on the dehydrate setting and you have transformed your Ninja into a dehydrator.
Would you like easy & amazing air fryer recipes from air fryer experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST air fryer beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful air fryer resources.
Dried Cucumber Ingredients
Cucumber – To make air fried cucumbers I used one medium cucumber. This was enough to fill all the shelves of my dehydrator. You could also use half a cucumber that needs using up or cucumbers that are about to go out of season.
Dehydrator – We also used my stackable dehydrator that I bought specifically for the Ninja Foodi. If you are dehydrating cucumber chips with an air fryer, I recommend something similar. I love this one because it allows you to have several racks of cucumber chips dehydrating at once.
Mandolin – I also recommend having a mandolin for chopping your cucumber. It creates such an even slice and I have found by hand, that you end up with lots of cucumber waste that’s too small or too big.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this cucumber chips air fryer recipe it has just been our Ninja Foodi. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of recipes including dehydrating.
Plus, we recommend you head over to our air fryer recipes category as we have more than 500 tried and tested air fryer recipes and have been air frying for 10 years. And nearly all are suitable for the Ninja Foodi air fryer setting.
How To Make Cucumber Chips?
- Slice. Slice your cucumber with a mandolin. Its best to use a mandolin as they give a much better thin, equal slice on your cucumber that you don’t get by slicing by hand.
- Load. Add your sliced cucumber to your dehydrator shelves. Start at the bottom, clipping on each shelf as it fills up.
- Load. Then add your stackable dehydrator into the Ninja Foodi and place the air fryer lid down and you are now ready for air fryer cucumber.
- Cook. Set the temperature to 55c/130f and the function to dehydrator and then dry your cucumber for 6 hours or until you have dehydrated cucumber.
- Finish. Then once the dehydrator is done, remove the cucumber chips and load into an airtight container. Keep in the cupboard for 1-2 years.
And I am sure you can see now how easy it is dehydrating cucumber and why you should be doing it too!
How Long Does It Take To Dehydrate Cucumbers In An Air Fryer?
Dehydrated cucumber is a little longer compared to some other dehydrated foods. This is because cucumber is very high in water and needs time for all the water to come away from the cucumbers.
So, when you air fry cucumber, expect it to take approximately 6 hours.
What About Dehydrated Pickles?
You will be pleased to know you can also make dehydrated pickles. Simply drain your favourite pickles and pat them dry with kitchen towel.
The patting dry process is essential because pickles are in juice and would take forever to dehydrate otherwise, then load onto your shelves of your dehydrator and follow our recipe as usual.
Dehydrating Cucumbers Tips & Tricks
- Opt for medium slices of cucumber and if you have one, do use a mandolin as it creates the perfect equal slice.
- Check your cucumber at the halfway point. You can then see if any are stuck to the dehydrator or if any have stuck to one another or got too close.
- You can do as many air fryer cucumber chips that will fit in your dehydrator.
- We found that one cucumber made a big snack bag of cucumber for your evening snack routine.
- You can also follow the same method with pickles. Simply pat them dry first if they are currently in juice.
- We recommend using this dehydrator for easy stacking in your Ninja Foodi. We are amazed when we use this how much cucumber will fit in the Ninja.
More Things To Make In A Dehydrator
- Dehydrated Lemons
- Dehydrated Limes
- Dehydrated Oranges
- Dehydrated Cherries
- Dehydrated Bananas
- Dehydrated Pears
Your cucumbers in air fryer recipe is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free air fryer ebooks and useful air fryer cook time charts and so much more.
Air Fryer Dehydrated Cucumber Chips
- 1 Medium Cucumber
- Use a mandolin to slice your cucumber into medium slices.
- Get out your dehydrator accessory and load up the shelves with sliced cucumber. Start at the bottom and work your way up and clip each shelf into place as you do it.
- Once the dehydrator is full then load into the Ninja Foodi. Place the air fryer lid down on the Ninja Foodi and set it to the dehydrator setting.
- Dehydrate for 6 hours at 55c/130f or until the cucumber is fully dried out and resembles classic cucumber chips. Then load into an airtight plastic container or snack bag and store in a cool place for 1-2 years.