Welcome to my latest whole30 recipe. In this recipe I will be showing you my whole30 version of a Mediterranean chicken casserole in my Lodge Dutch oven. This brings together some of my favourite Spanish & Portuguese flavours and is full to bursting with healthy goodness.
I am very blessed to live in Portugal. Take off today when I am typing this up in a freezing office while it is raining like cats and dogs outside. But the rest of the time I am truly blessed. The sun shines the majority of the year and temperatures never go down to freezing and in the summer it is so hot only the local beach or waterpark will do.
But forget the weather that every expat always quotes as the best bit, what I really love is the food. I just can’t get enough of it. Delicious fresh sardines, piri piri chicken at a fraction of the price of Nandos, organic vegetables that cost cents, good quality chickens and the list goes on and on.
Here at the Milners life often revolves around my Lodge Dutch Oven and lots of chicken casseroles with lots of local Mediterranean flavours. Though that is technically a lie. It is more like we have this from November to March and that the rest of the year our kitchen gets way too hot from the oven being on so ends up getting neglected!!!
Behind the scenes note – when we were making this I had a baby to breastfeed first, this meant it didn’t make it into the oven until 1.30pm and my son was far from impressed at having his lunch after 2pm. But when he had finished eating it he said “it was food worth waiting for”. So that made me happy!
If you haven’t got the Whole30 book you can get it here.#Whole30 #Mediterranean #Chicken #Casserole #Recipe via recipe_thisClick To Tweet
- Preheat your oven to 180c.
- In your Dutch Oven place your onions, garlic, olive oil and mustard and saute over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Season the skins of your chicken thighs with salt and pepper and place in the dish with the skin facing down. Allow them to brown and go crispy for 5 minutes and while this is cooking, finish preparing your vegetables.
- Dice your carrots, chop your new potatoes into quarters, chop your tomatoes into small chunks and slice your black olives in half removing the stones as you go.
- When the chicken skin has got a lovely colour to it and created some lovely chicken juices in the bottom of your dish, remove and put to one side.
- Place everything else (including the seasoning) into the Dutch Oven and mix well so that the herbs are spread around the dish.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes on the hob.
- Add the chicken thighs on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 hour on a 180c heat.