Slow Cooker Gammon Steaks. A delicious gammon steak recipe showing you how to cook gammon steaks in the slow cooker. This is a dump and start one pot meal in one that includes gammon steak, potatoes, apples, and buttered garden peas.
Whether you call it gammon steak or ham steaks, you will love how this slow cooker meal comes together with hardly any effort.
But I have something even better than our slow cooker gammon steak for you to check out first.
It is our slow cooker ecookbook. It includes all our popular British slow cooker recipes and fantastic for variety with cooking with the Crockpot. Or browse our site as we have plenty of slow cooker recipes that are easy to recreate at home and we have been showing people how to use the slow cooker since 2011.
I always remember gammon steak as a kid. Normally served down the pub with a choice of either pineapple or a fried egg and always served with chips and peas.
It was delicious and one of those delicious and comforting cheap dinners.
Then I moved to Portugal and didn’t have a gammon steak for a number of years. It just isn’t a thing here and I must admit it was one of those easy dinners that I missed.
Last year I noticed that gammon steaks have been stocked in our local English supermarkets and I bought some and showed many of our readers how to cook air fryer gammon steak and chips.
It has been a big hit, which I believe is mainly because we show you how to cook gammon steak and chips together. No messing about doing gammon steaks in one pan, whilst doing the chips in another.
Well, I was asked recently if I could show you how to cook gammon steaks in the slow cooker and today, I have finally managed to get another batch of gammon steaks and love how this all comes together.
What Is Gammon Steak?
If you have not had a gammon steak before, let me explain what it is in more detail.
Firstly, if you are outside of the UK & Australia, then you probably refer to it as a ham steak.
Gammon is what Brits (and some other countries) call ham before it is cooked. It can be sold as a roasting joint in a similar way to buying a boneless ham joint.
The gammon steak is gammon that has been cut into steaks in a similar way to buying pork steak and makes a very economical family dinner.
Best Way To Cook Gammon Steaks?
The best way to cook gammon steak is in the slow cooker. You can dump all your ingredients into the slow cooker, let the slow cooker do its magic and come back later to a perfect gammon steak dinner.
Cooking gammon steaks in the slow cooker is also amazing because of how tender it makes the gammon, and it feels like you are getting a really expensive meal, when you are not.
5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Gammon Steaks
I love the simplicity of this slow cooker gammon dinner. This is all you need to make it at home in your slow cooker:
- Gammon Steaks – We just used two gammon steaks. They were massive though, so we chopped them in half for the kids for dinner.
- Potatoes – Rather than chips we did similar to boiled potatoes, but with more flavour thanks to the slow cooker. Because the gammon steaks are laid on the potatoes it gives an amazing flavour to the potatoes.
- Apples – Alongside the potatoes we also added cubed apples. These were mixed with the potatoes and are fantastic if you want to make a gravy.
- Peas – What I love to do with the peas is place them into a ramekin inside the slow cooker. They can be frozen peas and then they can cook with the gammon. Add in some butter and salt and you have a great side.
- Seasonings – I like to use salt, pepper, thyme, and mixed herbs. I will often season the potatoes and the apples, then add a little extra to the gammon.
Think about those 5 ingredients a minute and I bet most of us have these in, without any extra grocery shopping.
Plus, if you want to be more traditional, then you can add some sliced pineapple or a fried egg.
How To Cook Gammon Steaks?
This is how to cook gammon steaks in slow cooker:
- Peel and dice potatoes and apples.
- Load potatoes and apples into the slow cooker and season well.
- Load gammon steaks over the potatoes and season.
- After 2 hours add frozen peas.
- Slow cook and serve.
I am sure now you can see just how simple it is to cook gammon steaks in the slow cooker.
Gammon Steak Sauce
If you want to create a gammon steak sauce, then it is easy. Grab about ¼ of your potatoes and apples and about a 3cm square piece of gammon that you have cut from the end. Along with any juices in the bottom of the slow cooker from the gammon.
Load them all into a blender and blend until smooth.
You now have a yummy, creamy gammon steak sauce to serve with your steak.
Do You Put Water In The Slow Cooker When Cooking Gammon?
No, you don’t. Like a lot of meats that you cook in the slow cooker, gammon doesn’t need any water as it creates its own liquid from the fat.
How Long To Cook Gammon Steak?
The ideal gammon steak cooking time is 4 hours. That way your gammon steaks will be tender, your potatoes and apples will be perfectly cooked and your peas will be thoroughly heated.
Though note, we did cook our gammon steaks on high and you could adjust to 7 hours on low if you prefer.
Slow Cooker Gammon Steaks
- Peel and dice your potatoes and apples and load into the slow cooker with half of your seasonings. Mix with your hands.
- Load gammon steaks on top and sprinkle the rest of the seasoning over the gammon.
- Slow cook for 2 hours on high. Find a space for a ramekin and fill a ramekin with frozen peas. Add a little salt and pepper and some butter. At the same time check with a fork that your potatoes are tender.
- Slow cook for an extra 2 hours before serving.