This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Air Fryer Giant Doughnut Cake. How to cook the most delicious giant doughnut cake in the air fryer. The easiest way ever to use your doughnut dough and perfect for birthday parties, potlucks, weddings, and bridal showers.
Air Fryer Giant Doughnut Cake
This giant doughnut cake must be the laziest way ever to make a cake in the air fryer and without a cake box mix in sight.
I have not used a cake mould on Recipe This for some time. The last time I used one was our giant custard cream cake recipe.
It was such a long time ago and when I got a few sent over this summer, the giant doughnut cake is what I was most excited to use.
But at the time there was a yeast shortage, and it had to go on the back burner for a while.
Well my kitchen is now loaded up with dried yeast and with doughnut supplies and a giant doughnut cake mould I am ready to show you how easy it is to make a doughnut cake in the air fryer.
What Is A Cake Doughnut?
A cake doughnut or a giant cake doughnut is essentially a large doughnut. Instead of rolling out your doughnut dough, you load it into a doughnut mould.
This makes it much quicker than making traditional doughnuts and is a lazy way to make a quick cake.
You would then glaze your cake doughnut like you would with individual doughnuts.
If you are wondering what a doughnut cake matches compared to regular doughnuts, then think 8 in 1.
My doughnut dough that I can normally get 8 doughnuts out of, instead makes one giant one.
Difference Between Doughnut & Cake?
When you make a doughnut cake it will be the same taste and texture as a regular doughnut just in a bigger form.
However, a doughnut is essentially a bread dough that has been modified for doughnuts, whilst a cake mix is much wetter and tastes somewhat different.
Air Fryer Doughnut Mould
The same brand of silicone doughnut mould that we used when we made our giant custard cream cake.
Because the doughnut cake mould is made from silicone it is non-stick and you don’t have to flour the mould first.
I was also pleased that it fitted perfectly in the air fryer and I could grab the just made doughnut dough and load it straight in.
Doughnut Cake Mix
The doughnut cake mix, is the laziest part of the recipe. We loaded the ingredients for the doughnut dough into the bread maker and let the bread machine do the hard work!
You can then grab the JUST made dough from the bread machine and add it to the silicone mould.
The more I think about it, the more I think its EASIER than using a box cake mix.
Further Reading: Bread Machine Doughnut Dough
How To Make Doughnut Cake?
The quick version of cooking a giant doughnut cake in the air fryer goes as follows:
- Make bread machine doughnut dough.
- Load into doughnut mould.
- Air fry + make glaze.
- Cover in doughnut glaze and eat.
There is a little more to it than that, but those are the simple basics!
Jam Doughnut Cake
I prefer turning my giant doughnut cake into a jam cake. I was born in England and grew up eating Victoria sandwich sponge cakes. I always loved that amazing jam and cream filling.
Because the doughnut cake is so big, it feels like it is lacking a cake filling if made without.
To transform yours into a jam doughnut cake, slice in half and load with strawberry jam and cream. Then glaze with icing as usual.
Air Fryer Cake Doughnut Glaze
I love to have my giant doughnut cake glazed with pink icing and plenty of sprinkles. Or as us Brits would call it 100’s and 1000’s.
- Mix in a bowl 240ml/1 cup of icing sugar with 3Tbsp of whole milk. Mix well with a teaspoon of vanilla essence until you have a glaze.
- Stir in your favourite food colouring – we went with pink.
- Once the giant doughnut is out of the mould, cover it in your glaze.
Air Fryer Giant Doughnut Cake
- Load your bread machine doughnut dough into the bread maker and get it started.
- When the bread machine beeps dump the doughnut dough into your mould. Load the mould into the air fryer basket
- Cook for 10 minutes at 180c/360f. Followed by a further 10 minutes at 160c/320f.
- Remove the mould from the air fryer and remove the giant doughnut cake from the mould and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Mix milk and icing sugar together in a bowl until you have a doughnut glaze. Add food colouring and stir. Brush your glaze over your giant doughnut and add sprinkles. Allow to set and then serve.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: