Welcome to my spicy courgette & chickpea burgers.
I am going to dedicate this recipe to my youngest. During my last pregnancy I had the joy of a different type of morning sickness. Unlike with previous pregnancies when I would feel sick at certain times I had the joy of feeling like I was going to be sick whenever I was exposed to meat. This brought out a temporary vegetarian in me and I was always looking for new and exciting ways to make meaty meals vegetarian.
One thing I can never live without is my burgers. I mean who can’t?
So through the first months of pregnancy I tried all kinds of meat alternatives and this was one of my favourites. A burger made from chickpeas and courgette instead of minced beef. This is something you shouldn’t knock until you have tried it and as soon as you do you will be in absolute food heaven.
I could even go as far as to say that I would be happy to be vegetarian for a couple of days of the week if it meant that I got the chance to eat this. And as long as you don’t have cheese or mayonnaise with it then you could make it into a vegan meal for yourself!
- 1 Can Chickpeas (drained)
- 1 Red Onion (peeled and finely diced)
- 1 Large Courgette (spiralized & well drained)
- 2 Medium Eggs (beaten)
- 30g Plain Flour
- 30g Cheddar Cheese
- 1Tsp Garlic Puree
- 3Tbsp Coriander
- 1Tsp Chilli Powder
- 1Tsp Mixed Spice
- 1Tsp Cumin
- Fresh Chives
- Salt & Pepper
- In a large mixing bowl add the drained chickpeas and onion and mash well. Add the spiralized courgette and flour, seasoning and cheese and mix again.
- Add the eggs a bit at a time until you have combined the mixture into burger shapes. If it is too sloppy then add some extra flour.
- Cook for 15 minutes in the Airfryer for 15 minutes or until cooked in the centre.
- Serve on some lettuce with some mayonnaise and sprinkle some fresh chives on top.
We have put together 24 favourite recipes for you to enjoy with your Spiralizer that are all focused around easy spiralizer recipes. We have Zoodles in an avocado sauce, cheese and tomato quiche, fruit salad, Zoodle chow mein and even low carb Mexican Nachos.
We are huge fans of our Spiralizer and even more so, now that we have tried out traditional meals with a carb free element and realised that there is more to Spiralizing than a portion of Zoodles.
It is just $2.99 on the Kindle and you can get your hands on it by clicking here.