Slow Cooker Lamb Tagine
This Post Contains Affiliate Links. Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Slow Cooker Lamb Tagine. How to make a delicious Moroccan lamb tagine in the slow cooker. This classic lamb stew dish is loaded with apricots, chickpeas, carrots, and Moroccan seasoning. Ideal for a quick one pot slow cooker family dinner.
Slow Cooker Lamb Tagine
The idea behind a lamb tagine is that you brown your lamb first, season it well and cook it slow on a tagine. But thanks to the slow cooker you can create the most famous Moroccan stew in your slow cooker.
I first started cooking a tagine in the slow cooker back in 2014. Sofia was a newborn baby and I wanted a new and exciting way to make a stew in the slow cooker that could feed us and would require little effort.
Been up with a newborn is tiring and I would put the slow cooker on in the morning and I could then forget about the cooking and know that we had a hearty beef stew waiting for us later.
Fast forward a few years and my favourite purchase from the butchers is to buy lamb chunks in bulk. Either cut from the neck or the shoulder they are ideal for meal prep.
I will bag them up into separate bags, freeze them and then grab a bag of lamb when I want some.
Ideal for when lamb is out of season and perfect if I have cravings for a slow cooker lamb tagine.
Because we used to make our slow cooker tagine with beef, we have learnt that both work very well in the slow cooker and you can load up your tagine with either beef or lamb.
Can I Cook Lamb Tagine In A Slow Cooker?
Yes you can cook a lamb tagine in the slow cooker. It is ideal because a tagine is all about the browning of the meat first, stirring in the ingredients and cooking slow. All things that are ideal for the slow cooker.
You can choose between cooking on low, medium, or high. Depending on when you plan to serve your slow cooker tagine.
Or if you love dump it all in slow cooker recipes, there is not much prep when you cook this Moroccan stew.
Slow Cooker Tagine Ingredients
In our slow cooker tagine, you can mix and match with the following ingredients:
- Slow Cooker Lamb Tagine With Sweet Potato – We used carrots in our lamb tagine but you can swap carrots for sweet potatoes or any other similar texture potato or vegetable. We also love to use a mixture of carrots and butternut squash.
- Slow Cooker Lamb Tagine With Apricots – Normally you will find a tagine with apricots. You can use either dried or canned apricots. I find canned apricots that have been drained are best. This is because they are easy to stir into your finished tagine for great flavour.
- Slow Cooker Lamb Tagine With Chickpeas – I love chickpeas and drain a can and stir it into your tagine during its last hour of cooking. Plus, it is fantastic for bulking up the meal to feed more people or to make extra leftovers.
How To Slow Cook Lamb Tagine?
The quick version of a slow cooker lamb tagine goes as follows:
- Sauté your onion + brown your lamb.
- Stir in prepped vegetables.
- Add seasonings.
- Stir + slow cook.
- An hour before serving add extras and stir.
- Serve warm with couscous.
There is a little more to it than that, but those are the simple basics!
Slimming World Lamb Tagine
If you are on slimming world I am sure you will be pleased to know that our slow cooker lamb tagine is slimming world friendly.
Apart from the extra virgin olive oil for browning the lamb and sauteing the onions it is totally Syn Free. As well as this, we strain the fat from the lamb towards the end of cooking, making it even more lean and healthy.
Slow Cooker Lamb Tagine
Slow Cooker Tagine Ingredients:
- 3 Spring Onions
- 1 kg Diced Lamb
- 1 Tsp Garlic Puree
- 1 Tsp Ginger Puree
- 3 Large Carrots
- 250 g Diced Butternut Squash
- 1 Can Tinned Tomatoes
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Mixed Spice
- 2 Tsp Paprika
- Salt & Pepper
1 Hour Before Serving:
- Dice your spring onion and load into the slow cooker. Sauté for a couple of minutes. Stir in garlic and ginger. Add the diced lamb and allow it to brown on all sides.
- Peel and dice your carrots. Load vegetables, tinned tomatoes, and seasonings into the slow cooker. Stir and place on low for 8 hours.
- One hour before the slow cooker will be ready, drain the lamb as it will have created a lot of fat in the slow cooker pot. I normally pour it into a sieve with a bowl at the bottom to catch the juices. Then what is left can be put through a mesh strainer and you have lamb stock for another meal.
- Once you have drained the lamb and loaded it back into the slow cooker, add in the rest of the ingredients. Stir well and cook for a further hour on low.
- Load onto dinner plates with couscous. Or if having a dinner party have a big plate with couscous and a big plate for your lamb tagine and let everyone help themselves.
Used the directions for the tagine and it was PERFECT. Tender and tasty.
The best lamb dish I have ever cooked and I am a kiwi! It was so tender Thank you so much. ????
Wonderful recipe thank you for sharing it. I love slow cooked lamb and this was perfect for some leftover lamb shoulder i had in the fridge.