Welcome to my Nando’s Piri Piri Chicken Healthy Portuguese Copycat Recipe.
I must confess I was many of millions of Brits living an unhealthy lifestyle moving to Portugal. I was the sort that knew the number of the takeaway companies off by heart and didn’t even need a menu to ring up because it was such a regular occurance and I knew exactly what I wanted.
But moving to Portugal the first shock was that there was no takeaway on my street. There was no takeaway on the next street or the one after that for that matter. If we wanted what we would call “takeaway food” then we would either have to travel 30 minutes to get one or we would have to visit the shopping centre (a 25 minute drive) for a McDonalds, KFC or Pizza Hut.
When you looked at the locals they were not fat. They had daily exercise and they enjoyed their food. Their equivalent of the takeaway was the Piri Piri chicken a staple of Portuguese food for many decades. It is often served up with chips and salad and the salad is even out of this world.
It is the closest to a takeaway that the Portuguese ever have and it is delicious.
Plus from a frugal point of view there is always this competition over who can offer the best value Piri Piri Chicken. Our favourite place that we go to when we can, works out at about 6€ each and that included unlimited chicken at an outdoor barbeque in the sunshine.
Though, when I was researching for this I found that Piri Piri chicken in British pubs comes at more than double the price, so I am super glad I am in Portugal and can afford to enjoy it whenever I want!
So when I found out that the inspiration behind Nando’s was the Portuguese food and in particular the Piri Piri chicken I jumped at the chance. When you have Piri Piri chicken in Portugal though it is often very mildly spiced so we have upped the spice here so that it fits in with the hot flavourings of Nando’s.
So expect well spiced Piri Piri Chicken!!!!
- 12 Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 Medium Onion (peeled and diced)
- 1Tsp Ginger Puree
- 1Tsp Garlic Puree
- 2Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 6Tbsp Olive Oil
- 125ml White Wine
- 1 Large Lemon (juice and rind)
- 1Tsp Piri Piri
- 1Tsp Paprika
- 1Tsp Oregano
- 1Tsp Thyme
- Salt & Pepper
- First of all make the marinade. Put to one side the white wine, lemon, the garlic, ½ the olive oil and the onion. Everything else needs to go in a large mixing bowl. Mix it altogether really well and mix in your chicken. Have it so that your marinade is fully covering each of the chicken pieces. Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours. The longer you leave it the spicier it will get!
- In a casserole dish place your onion, the rest of the olive oil, the garlic and your marinated chicken. Pour the wine and the lemon over and mix well with your hands. This will give your chicken a thinner sauce and will help it cook better.
- Cook for an hour on a 200c heat and then serve. I recommend serving it with some barbeque sauce for the ultimate takeaway experience.
To cook it less spicy (like the Portuguese do) instead of a marinade use a cooking brush to brush the marinade over the skin and bake without soaking in seasoning and this will give it a lot less of a spicy hit.
We have put together 21 favourite copycat recipes into one amazing cookery ebook. It features all our favourite copycat recipes from your favourite fast food establishments along with a lot of processed food classics. Learn how to make all those unhealthy meals in a much healthier way.
We even have 5 recipes dedicated to KFC and discover how to make their secret seasoning mix yourself. You could now have a KFC at home without worrying about the weight gain or the expense!
This ebook is just $2.99 on the Kindle and you can get your hands on it by clicking here.