Instant Pot Shepherd’s Pie Soup. How to cook a delicious soup with your shepherd’s pie leftovers in the instant pot pressure cooker. Ideal for a quick one pot cheap dinner on cold winter days.
Table of Contents
Instant Pot Shepherd’s Pie Soup
When you look down at your instant pot after dinner and see what has been left and wonder what to do with the leftovers.
Or when you have a smaller portion leftover and know that it isn’t enough to feed everyone the next day.
That is why I created this delicious recipe for instant pot shepherd’s pie soup. It can be made with either cottage pie leftovers or shepherd’s pie leftovers.
It is hearty and comforting for cold winter days, but best of all it doesn’t have to be this week’s leftover meal.
It can be loaded into the freezer, saved for later and then become a last minute one pot dinner.
How Long Does Leftover Shepherd’s Pie Last?
Let’s back track a moment shall we. You have come back into the kitchen to do the washing up after dinner. Looked in the instant pot and seen how much is left.
There is not enough for another round of shepherd’s pie, but you want to make use of it.
This is what you do with your leftover shepherd’s pie:
You load it into a glass bottom freezer container + add a label so that you can remember what it is. Then load it into the freezer for another time.
The reason we do this is because leftover shepherds pie lasts just 4 days in the fridge, but you are good for a couple of months in the freezer.
Then that shepherds pie you saved back in September can be enjoyed in November.
What Can You Do With Leftover Shepherd’s Pie?
As you know for today the plan is leftover shepherds pie soup. But it doesn’t have to be this.
You could make a Bolognese with it and serve it with spaghetti, you could load it into pastry and make shepherd’s pie pasties or even better load it up over our bread maker pizza dough.
Easy Shepherd’s Pie Soup Recipe
This shepherd’s pie soup recipe is so easy kids can make it. I let my 3 year old and 5 year old loose in the kitchen and they helped me do the prep and the cooking.
Of course, the instant pot was left until it was cool enough for them to touch and they did do a marvellous job.
Shepherd’s Pie Soup Recipe
Cooking shepherd’s pie soup in the instant pot is EASY.
- Defrost the shepherds pie first on zero minutes.
- Prep potatoes.
- Pour into the instant pot.
- Add in soup ingredients.
- Pressure cook + serve.
How Do You Reheat Leftover Shepherd’s Pie?
I have a quick method with the instant pot. Imagine grabbing a frozen glass container from the freezer and it being like a rock.
So rock solid there is no way you are going to get the shepherd’s pie out of the container.
What I do is add a cup of water to the instant pot and load into it the trivet. Then remove the lid from the freezer container and lower it into the instant pot.
Put it on a zero minute manual cook time and I have this:
It is not fully defrosted but good enough to pour the contents into the instant pot, add in other ingredients and reheat the shepherd’s pie into a soup.
Instant Pot Shepherd’s Pie Soup
- Load a cup of water into your instant pot inner pot and add your tall trivet. Remove the lid from your freezer container and load the leftover shepherd’s pie onto it. Place the lid on the instant pot and set the valve to sealing. Cook for zero minutes on manual.
- Peel and slice your potatoes into chunky cubes.
- When it beeps after going to pressure manually release pressure.
- Remove the shepherd’s pie leftovers and the trivet. Pour the leftover shepherds pie into the water below.
- Grab the rest of the instant pot ingredients apart from the frozen peas and load them in and stir. Place the lid on the instant pot, set the valve to sealing and cook for 3 minutes on manual pressure.
- Manually release pressure and add frozen peas to the instant pot and stir and adjust seasoning in case it needs extra. Load the soup into bowls and serve.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: