Instant Pot Ham Tetrazzini. How to make a delicious ham tetrazzini from scratch without canned soup. Loaded with favourite tetrazzini casserole ingredients including plenty of melted cheese, cream cheese, leftover ham, wholegrain pasta, and coconut milk.
Table of Contents
Beware before reading. Kitchen gadgets food blogger here that is obsessed with making lots of yummy dishes from leftover ham.
Whatever you do, don’t take spare ham from her fridge or she will go into total meltdown.
By the way, I am not kidding. Making meals from leftover ham is like a drug for me. Before I have even bought the ham, I am planning what to make with it.
The kids are always made aware of this several times while eating the ham. Especially, our eldest for when he goes in the fridge during the night with his midnight munchies.
But our week dedicated to leftover ham comfort food recipes using our kitchen gadgets would not be complete without a delicious batch of instant pot ham tetrazzini.
What Is Ham Tetrazzini?
A tetrazzini is an American comfort food dish. Most famous for consumption with leftover food thanks to the added ingredient of diced meat or diced seafood. It is made in a creamy sauce and often involves wine.
For us Brits that are not familiar, think of it as a leftover pasta bake that is loaded with cheese and you just want to binge on during the festive period.
You can use turkey and make a turkey tetrazzini or like we are doing today make a ham tetrazzini.
Ham Tetrazzini Without Canned Soup
I hate this obsession with canned soup, being used in recipes. I remember on Pinterest it became a thing with Campbells cream of mushroom soup and that is why I created my instant pot cream of mushroom soup.
Its so unhealthy and if you could make one change to your diet, I would always recommend ditching the processed creamy soups.
In our recipe today our ham tetrazzini it is without cream soup and is still incredibly creamy and yummy.
Leftover Ham Tetrazzini
What I love about making leftover ham tetrazzini is that you don’t need much leftover ham to do it justice.
There are so many other great things going on in your tetrazzini that you could even keep it vegetarian if you wanted to.
You could also trim down the ingredients that are listed in our recipe and just go with what you have in.
- Ham Tetrazzini With Cheese – Use any cheese you like. Though focus on cheese that melts well such as cheddar or gouda and of course cream cheese makes it come to life. I just love cooking with Philadelphia, and you can guarantee I will have a 3 year old waiting by my side with a spoon waiting for some cheese!
- Ham Tetrazzini With Peas – I love to use peas and sweetcorn in mine as they are excellent for filling out the portion sizes. Especially, if you want to make a batch for dinner on more than one mealtime.
How Do You Make Ham Tetrazzini?
The quick version of making ham tetrazzini in instant pot goes as follows:
- Sauté an onion in the instant pot and deglaze with wine.
- Add coconut milk and wholegrain pasta.
- Pressure cook the pasta.
- Release pressure + add everything else + stir + serve.
There is a little more to it than that, but those are the simple basics!
Can You Freeze Ham Tetrazzini?
Not in the traditional way.
Let’s say you made ham tetrazzini and planned it for the freezer for freezer meals. Then you would need to stir the ham in last so that it hasn’t be reheated and then place it in freezer containers.
Then you can reheat your freezer meal as usual.
This is because leftover ham can ONLY be reheated once and if you reheat it already to make the tetrazzini, then when you get it frozen the freezer it can’t be reheated.
BUT you could grab it from the freezer, add in mayonnaise and your ham tetrazzini could be served cold as a potluck.
Instant Pot Ham Tetrazzini Without Canned Soup
Ham Tetrazzini Ingredients:
- Peel and dice a white onion and sauté in the instant pot with extra virgin olive oil. Cancel sauté.
- Stir in garlic puree and deglaze with white wine. Stir in a can of coconut milk, add 600ml of water or ham stock and your wholegrain pasta.
- Place the lid on the instant pot, set the valve to sealing and cook for 3 minutes on manual. Follow this up with 3 minutes of natural pressure release. Then manually release pressure.
- Load in seasonings, cream cheese, skimmed milk, cheddar cheese, sweetcorn, leftover ham, and peas. Stir well until the cheese has melted.
- Load onto plates and serve.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: