Welcome to my flourless truly crispy southern fried chicken in the air fryer. Truly delicious and truly crispy southern fried chicken that is completely healthy that you can cook with the help of your blender and air fryer.
Now these are a dieters dream come true….the thought that you can make your own southern fried chicken at home that are low in fat, low in calories, full of nutrition and only take a couple of minutes to prepare. Then you can leave them cooking away in your air fryer while you enjoy some family time.
When I was growing up there was only ever one way that you enjoyed southern fried chicken. It was thanks to the local takeaway. We had one in our town and it was called “American Fried Chicken”. It was on the local high street and their chicken and chips was okay but nothing special.
You see our local town was one of those small ones where nothing happened. It was in Yorkshire in England and was the typical boring town that once you hit adulthood you leave and don’t come back. The job prospects is opening up a fish and chip shop vs working in a care home for the elderly.
So you wouldn’t be surprised to know that there wasn’t a KFC and we just had a cheap version among a town full of fish and chip shops and kebab shops.
But chicken is chicken and we would have it from there maybe 1-2 times every summer after a long day of work. It would be served in the typical chicken takeaway box and you could taste the high level of fats in it.
But when it comes to this recipe it is stripped of the flour, stripped of the deep frying, cooked in the airfryer and it can become your healthy go to meal on a Friday night. Or even better use it as a date night special!#Flourless Truly #Crispy Southern Fried #Chicken In The #AirFryer Recipe via recipe_thisClick To Tweet
- Preheat your air fryer to 180c.
- On your chopping board lay out your chicken and sprinkle all sides with salt and pepper. After you have done this rub coconut milk into them.
- Place everything else (apart from the egg) into your blender a bit at a time. Blend on the low blend feature until it is like smooth breadcrumbs.
- Place the breadcrumb mixture into a bowl and the egg into another bowl.
- Then for each piece of chicken dip it into the breadcrumbs, then into the egg and then back into the breadcrumbs.
- Place them onto a baking mat inside your air fryer and cook for 20 minutes with 4 chicken pieces into your air fryer so that it is not over crowded.
- Cook at 180c and then after you’ve done the 20 minutes give it another 5 minutes at 200c so that it can get nice and crispy.
With the coconut milk make sure you shake the can first so that you have no creamy texture and it then works as a healthier version of butter milk.
The benefit of putting all the dry ingredients into the blender together is that it works as a quick blend for all your seasoning and mixes it very well.
If you have leftover breadcrumbs you can pack them into freezer bags and freeze them for another chicken feast evening.