Welcome to my budget friendly cheesy coconut chicken recipe.
This is a super favourite of mine. After all, what is there not to like. We have cheddar cheese, chicken breasts, coconut milk and tarragon. These are also all flavours that are meant to be together.
But you know what I love most about this?
I love the fact that it is really easy to make. It is a quick lunch or a quick dinner. Then you can serve it up with all your favourite vegetables and you have the perfect meal.
Chicken in the oven doesn’t just have to be roasted for a Sunday lunch but it can be enjoyed throughout the week and can really make your meal complete.
There was a time when I used to fill myself up on takeaways, sandwiches, and bowls of cereal and so on. Then I soon discovered how easy cooking was and why less is more. A few key ingredients and you have a lovely lunch.
This recipe also takes me back to when I showed my mum how to use a slow cooker. She has hardly used hers since so I must have put her off. I did chicken in a coconut sauce with loads of noodles and it was delicious. Far too much cheese in it though and it did look bad for you. So as least it has got a bit healthier and this one tastes much better.
[Tweet “Budget Friendly Cheesy #Coconut #Chicken @recipe_this”]
How Frugal Is Cheesy Coconut Chicken?
Our cheesy coconut chicken recipe works out at 3,82€ for a family of four or 0,96€ each. Or if you are based in America then this is just $1.07 per mouth that you have to feed!
- 1 Large Onion (peeled and diced)
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- ¼ Cup White Wine
- 50g Cheddar Cheese
- 1Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1Tsp Garlic Puree
- 1Tbsp Tarragon
- 1Tbsp Rosemary
- Salt & Pepper
- In a large pan sauté your garlic and onion on a medium to high heat with your olive oil.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over your onions and oil.
- Place the chicken in the pan (skin side down) so that it gets covered in the salt and pepper. Increase the heat to high and cook for 3 minutes on each side. This will give the chicken chance for the skin to get crispy and for the flavour to get into your meat.
- Turn back down to a medium heat and add the coconut milk, the rest of the seasoning and the white wine.
- Bring the sauce and the chicken to the boil and then simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Transfer to an oven dish and grate with the cheddar cheese and mix well.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes on a temperature of 180c. After 20 minutes check to make sure the chicken is cooked in the centre and then serve.
We have put together 22 favourite frugal recipes for you to enjoy and also frugal diaries, frugal tips and so much more. They are delicious recipes that any family would be happy to have on the dinner table.
Forget a life of frozen chickens and frozen vegetables this is your chance to enjoy real food at the same time as saving money.
These are in fact the recipes we personally used when we went frugal.
This ebook is just $2.99 on the Kindle and you can get your hands on it by clicking here.