This Post Contains Affiliate Links. Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
This is the easiest cauliflower rice recipe ever. Combining amazing kitchen gadgets, we are using the Thermomix to rice the cauliflower before cooking microwave cauliflower rice using our veggie steamer.
You will love the delicious flavour of our cauliflower rice microwave recipe and this recipe is easy to rinse and repeat with any protein for lunch or dinner.
This microwave cauliflower rice is an updated post. Back in 2016 and 2017 I didn’t have a microwave or a Thermomix to make this cauli rice recipe easier.
Table of Contents
Easy Cauliflower Rice Recipe
I remember the cauliflower rice trend when it first started. I was doing a round of the Whole30 and had also fallen in love with the paleo lifestyle.
I loved the idea of how you could cook with cauliflower instead of your typical grain products and make something delicious.
There was of course cauliflower pizza crust, cauliflower cheese sauce, cauliflower mash and of course cauliflower rice.
But when I first started experimenting with cauliflower rice it never seemed to go well.
The rice would always be too wet, or it would stick to the pan, and it always felt like such an effort.
I made it a couple of times and then barely made it between 2017 and 2022.
Then when we bought our Thermomix, I decided to give it another try. Make the cauliflower rice in the Thermomix and then cook it in the microwave.
It came out perfectly and now I want to show you how to combine the microwave and the Thermomix (or any other food processor or blender) to make a quick yet tasty batch of cauliflower rice.
What Is Cauliflower Rice?
I know cauliflower rice is alien to many people so let me explain it to you. Instead of regular rice you rice cauliflower instead. You blend cauliflower in a blender or food processor until it resembles grated cheese.
You can then use your grated/riced cauliflower in any recipes that call for rice to keep your grains down.
Why Steam Cauliflower Rice?
Many would just cook cauliflower rice in a wok and it would become a paleo friendly version of Chinese fried rice.
But you need to add oil and the cauliflower rice can then become wet and mushy and not be of the texture you want.
However, if you steam cauliflower rice such as in the steamer basket in your microwave you get the extra liquid going into the bottom of your steamer and it creates a much better texture of your cauliflower rice similar to when you steam rice.
Would you like easy & amazing microwave recipes from microwave experts? Click here and join the Recipe This Newsletter. We will then send you the BEST microwave beginner recipes direct to your email inbox along with other useful microwave resources.
Cauliflower Rice Ingredients
Cauliflower – I would recommend the equivalent in florets of a large whole cauliflower. Though you can do less, it depends on how many people you are feeding. I also find it easier if you buy cut florets and then not much prep.
Garlic – I love the chopped frozen garlic packets. You can just grab a little bit as you need it and then add it to your recipes. We use a little frozen garlic in the cauliflower rice to give it some extra flavour.
Lime – I love cauliflower rice with lime, and it perfectly pairs with some chicken.
Coriander – Then pair your lime with some fresh coriander for the ultimate rice dish. Though if you are on the other side of the pond, you might call it cilantro.
I also recommend adding in some salt and pepper for extra flavour.
Then for the kitchen gadgets that we have used in this cauliflower rice microwave recipe it has just been our Panasonic Microwave Oven. We have this one and its wonderful for many types of microwave recipes.
How Do You Make Cauliflower Rice?
- Florets. Before cooking your cauliflower rice in the microwave, you will need to prepare it and rice the cauliflower. Start by chopping your cauliflower into florets or use shop bought already chopped florets.
- Load. Next load your cauliflower into the Thermomix. Along with frozen garlic and salt and pepper.
- Blend. Then using speed 4.5 for 5 minutes on the Thermomix pulse until you have cauliflower that resembles the texture of grated cheese.
You have now created Thermomix cauliflower rice and you are ready to prepare the rice for the microwave.
How To Microwave Cauliflower Rice?
- Steamer. Before microwaving cauliflower rice, you will need to add a tablespoon of water into the bottom of your steamer basket. This will allow you to steam in the microwave.
- Load. Next load your cauliflower rice into the steamer basket along with salt, pepper, coriander, lime, and mix. Then place the lid on your steamer basket and load your steamer into the microwave.
- Steam. Then microwave riced cauliflower for 5 minutes, stir and serve.
You have now created a recipe for cauliflower rice using the Thermomix and the Microwave.
Can I Freeze Cauliflower Rice?
Yes, you can freeze cauliflower rice, but I don’t advise doing so. That is because cauliflower rice goes rather watery when frozen just like spaghetti squash does. This means when you defrost and then reheat it goes to mush and loses some of its delicious texture and taste.
What To Serve With Microwavable Cauliflower Rice?
My favourite combination is chicken and rice. I really wanted to take chicken and rice to the grain free lifestyle, therefore I matched microwave cauliflower rice with Nando’s peri peri chicken.
You cook Air Fryer Peri Peri Chicken and then just as it is finishing cooking you make the cauliflower rice and they make the perfect combo ass you can see below:
More Microwave Veggie Recipes
Your recipe for microwave cauliflower rice with a little help from the Thermomix is below, note you can print it out with or without photos, adjust servings, or click between metric and imperial depending on where you are in the world.
Though before you do, don’t forget to subscribe, and grab your FREE VIP Pass to Recipe This. You will get access to our latest recipes first, you will be able to request recipes, you will have access to free mini courses, free ebooks and useful cook time charts and so much more.
Microwave Cauliflower Rice
- 1 Medium Whole Cauliflower
- 2 Tsp Frozen Chopped Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Coriander/Cilantro loosely chopped
- 1 Lime juice and zest
- Salt & Pepper
- Kitchen Gadgets
- Chop your cauliflower into florets or buy cauliflower florets and load into the Thermomix along with garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Pulse on speed 4.5 for 5 minutes or until resembles riced cauliflower.
- Add to the bottom of a steamer basket a tablespoon of water and load it up with the riced cauliflower. Add in chopped coriander and the juice and zest of a lime and mix well with your hands.
- Place the lid on the steamer basket, load into the microwave and microwave cauliflower rice for 5 minutes on full power.
- Then stir before serving.