This Post Contains Affiliate Links.Click Here To Read Our Full Disclosure.
Instant Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal. How to make Instant Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal in your electric pressure cooker.
If you have ever wanted to make instant pot steel cut oatmeal, or as you might call it instant pot steel cut oats, well let me tell you now its one of the easiest things you could possibly cook in your instant pot.
This instant pot recipe for steel cut oatmeal is diet friendly and super healthy too. Thanks to using Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats it is gluten free. Plus, one easy food swap will make it vegan too.
Instant Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal
I had to become a food blogger to discover the instant pot and steel cut oatmeal. I believe to this day, that if I wasn’t a food blogger, I would not know what either of these are.
That is because as a family that lives in Europe steel cut oats is totally unknown and the instant pot would not be the first choice of electric pressure cookers.
Add to that steel cut oats, or steel cut oatmeal which I can tell you, I don’t know anyone British that has ever heard of them.
In Britain they go by a totally different name which is pinhead oats.
If you buy Bob’s Red Mill Steel Cut Oats in England, you will have the packaging read pinhead oats.
So, when Bob’s Red Mill sent me some pinhead oats, it just didn’t register that they were the same thing that my American readers adore.
Here in Britain it would just be called Pressure Cooker Porridge and the chances are it would be Quaker Oats going into the porridge instead.
But I love being a food blogger and one of the best things is learning about the different food cultures and trying out new foods that would not have been on my radar otherwise.
What Is Steel Cut Oatmeal?
But first, if you have not been raised on steel cut oatmeal, I am sure you are wondering what steel cut oatmeal is?
Well steel cut oats, or pinhead oats or coarse oatmeal depending what you call them are whole oats. Which have been chopped into 2-3 pinhead sized oats. Hence the name pinhead oats.
Though, they are known as steel cut oats thanks to the steel blade used to chop them up.
Why Cook Steel Cut Oatmeal In The Instant Pot?
Because cooking steel cut oatmeal in the instant pot is the lazy and easy way to cook steel cut oats!
You dump your ingredients into the instant pot and then let the instant pot do the hard work. Wait for it to beep and tell you it is cooked and then a quick stir and serve.
Though factor in placing it in the fridge for a little while, as OMG it is so hot when it is first cooked.
Best Instant Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal Recipe
This is the best instant pot steel cut oatmeal recipe that you will ever try. Even better, it is so easy to adapt to your favourite steel cut oatmeal add ins.
But I can’t take the full credit for this instant pot steel cut oatmeal, as it was Heather at The Spicy Apron that introduced me to it in her Instant Pot Mini Cookbook.
I’ve been using the Instant Pot for over 3 years now and this is the first instant pot cookbook that I have read.
Even though her recipe for instant pot steel cut oatmeal is based around using in the instant pot mini, I found it was easy to add servings or take servings away depending on how many people you were feeding.
In my case it meant that my Instant Pot 6 quart, was half full, whilst if you did it in your instant pot mini it would be to the max line.
In her recipe on page 18 which she calls coconut banana steel cut oatmeal, she gave me the confidence to cook steel cut oats for the first time, something I had never done until that point.
This was six months ago and armed with a HUGE AMOUNT of Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Steel Cut Oats, I tried her recipe and made it to my own taste, over several occasions during a six month period until I had developed the Best Instant Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal Recipe.
Her recipe includes butter, which is not good for me and my diet. But if you are not on a diet try adding some butter to your oatmeal!
Now I am just gutted that I have run out of steel cut oats.
What Ingredients & Gadgets Go Into Instant Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal?
There are 4 main ingredients that go into instant pot steel cut oatmeal:
If you don’t already have an Instant Pot, then we have both the 6 quart Duo and the 8 quart duo in our kitchen and both work well for cooking steel cut oatmeal. Or like the Instant Pot Mini Cookbook, you can also cook them in the Instant Pot Mini.
I like to start with water, coconut milk, steel cut oats and honey as the basis for instant pot steel cut oatmeal and then you can mix and match it with your favourite oatmeal ingredients.
Mix & Match Instant Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal
- Instant Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal For One. This recipe of mine for steel cut oats was enough to feed me and my son for 3 breakfasts. We are small eaters so if you chopped this recipe in half it would be the perfect portion of instant pot steel cut oatmeal for one.
- Instant Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal Brown Sugar. I prefer my steel cut oatmeal with honey, but to make it vegan swap the honey for brown sugar. You could also mix and match with another favourite sugar such as white sugar, maple syrup etc.
- Instant Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal Apple Cinnamon. I wonderful add in is to cook with diced apple and a teaspoon of cinnamon. Makes a great alternative to plain oatmeal.
Though after 6 months of testing and tasting instant pot steel cut oatmeal, I preferred mine with some sliced banana and a little extra coconut milk.
How To Make Instant Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal?
Making instant pot steel cut oatmeal is so easy and is a case of loading the ingredients into the instant pot, or other electric pressure cooker and letting the pressure cooker do the hard work!
- Load coconut milk, water, steel cut oats and your preferred sugar into the instant pot pressure cooker.
- Mix well so that you are not going to get steel cut oats stuck to the side during cooking.
- Place the lid on the instant pot pressure cooker and set the valve to sealing.
- Cook for 14 minutes on high pressure.
- Use natural pressure release and load into bowls.
- Place in the fridge for 5 minutes so you don’t burn your tongue!
How Long To Cook Instant Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal?
The cooking time for instant pot steel cut oatmeal is just 14 minutes as well as natural pressure release.
Because we are doing natural pressure release the added time to this is 11 minutes. Plus, the original time going to pressure.
But what I did was put the steel cut oatmeal on, go in the shower, get dressed and it was DONE.
How To Reheat Instant Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal?
When making Instant Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal I have this habit of making way too much. The great thing here is that you can fridge your leftovers and reheat it for breakfast the next morning.
Even better, you have already cooked it, so it only takes a minute or two to warm up and its great for meal prep.
Then the next day, I will place the instant pot on sauté, add a couple of tablespoons of milk or coconut milk and using a wooden spoon warm it up.
You need the extra milk because when oatmeal goes cold it can go sticky and hard.
Then I serve it as usual.
But best of all, when you reheat your instant pot steel cut oatmeal, you can control what temperature it goes to and not burn your tongue.
More Instant Pot Breakfast Ideas
Here at Recipe This we love to make breakfast in the instant pot pressure cooker. It takes the hassle out and is so easy to prep while you get ready for the day.
Here are a few suggestions of what to cook for breakfast in the instant pot:
- Instant Pot Egg Bites Without Cottage Cheese – Here is a quick recipe for Starbucks inspired instant pot egg bites. Zero cottage cheese used and so delicious.
- Instant Pot Boiled Eggs & Soldiers – One of my all time favourite breakfasts. I used to have this as a kid every Saturday morning and you’re never too old for eggs and soldiers!
- Instant Pot Chorizo Hash – When we took our instant pot with us when we went travelling, this was our breakfast most days and so delicious too.
- Instant Pot Strawberry Jam – Grab some of your favourite toast and add to it homemade instant pot strawberry jam. It is also fantastic for the freezer and we always have some spare strawberry jam to hand.
Instant Pot Steel Cut Oatmeal
- Place your steel cut oats, coconut milk and honey into your instant pot inner pot. Stir well.
- Add in 600ml of water and stir again.
- Place the lid on the instant pot, set the valve to sealing and cook for 14 minutes on high pressure.
- Use natural pressure release for 12 minutes and then manually release pressure. By this point there will not be much pressure left to release.
- Stir with a wooden spoon and pour into bowls.
- Add to your bowls any fresh fruit or extra toppings.