You’ll want to cook this chicken thighs pasta bake all the time. From September right through to when your kitchen is getting warmer in May. Full of crispy chicken, loaded with creamy pasta, this is comfort food at its best.
Long before the Instant Pot or the Air Fryer had been created I wanted a Dutch Oven, or as us Brits call them a Cast Iron Casserole Dish. I had watched Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsay use them all the time. I loved the idea that you could cook everything in one dish on the hob and then transfer it to the oven to finish off the cooking process.
I HATED the fact that I had absolutely nothing to cook with, that could go from one to the other. I had to transfer food from the pan into an oven and the amount of pots was silly.
I loved watching Jamie Oliver crisp up the chicken skin and then finish cooking it in the oven and I wanted one like crazy.
But the problem was we lived in a small apartment at the time with a small kitchen and it wasn’t going to happen. Plus the oven we had was awful and it always burnt EVERYTHING!
Fast forward 8 years and the Bruntmor is our second ever Dutch Oven and it is perfect for cooking baked chicken thighs that are made into a yummy chicken thighs pasta bake.
The two things that make this chicken thighs pasta bake so yummy:
- The pasta bake sauce is so creamy you would think it had been smothered in cream when it hasn’t. We use just 100g of Philadelphia Soft Cheese to give it the cheesy wow factor!
- The chicken skin is crisped up first with extra virgin olive oil. Not only does this make the chicken super crispy but it also leaves the chicken juices in the Dutch Oven to bring great flavour to the dish.
On a side note – this chicken thighs pasta bake was the first ever dish that I perfected in my Dutch Oven. I found it my old recipe journal and can’t wait during the colder months to eat this all the time.
chicken thighs pasta bake
- Bruntmor Dutch Oven
- 4 Large Chicken Thighs
- 3 Medium Garlic Cloves
- 1 Medium White Onion
- 1 Small Courgette diced
- 4 Large Carrots peeled and diced
- Handful Frozen Peas
- 6 Medium Tomatoes diced
- 100 g Philadelphia Soft Cheese
- 300 g Dried Pasta
- 100 ml Red Wine
- 350 ml Chicken Stock this is the one we use
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tsp Oregano
- 2 Tsp Mixed Herbs
- ½ Tsp Mustard Powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Place the Dutch Oven on a medium heat on the hob and add to it the olive oil along with a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Place the chicken thighs breast side down and cook for 3 minutes or until it develops a crispy coating.
- Meanwhile as the chicken thighs skin crisps up peel and dice your onion and garlic.
- Take the chicken out of the Dutch Oven and put it to one side. Add the onion and garlic and using the juices of the chicken crisp the garlic and onion for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the courgette and carrots, seasonings, soft cheese and red wine and stir well. Cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the stock along with the chopped tomatoes, peas and mix well.
- Add the pasta and mix again so that all the pasta is covered.
- Place the chicken thighs (breast side up) on top of the pasta and vegetables and place the lid on the Dutch Oven. Cook in the oven for 45 minutes at 180c/360f.