Welcome to my latest frugal family meals recipe and introducing you to my ultimate Spanish tapas breakfast.
I have made no secret for my love of Spain. It is just an hour from our front door and the food is amazing. So amazing that we are going there on holiday next month. I had family holidays there and remember the food and how good it tasted.
Well Spanish food always seems to get better and better each time I try it and living in Portugal the food culture is very similar. There are lots of great family meals, lots of eating outside in the sunshine, lots of Mediterranean style cooking and I am always in food heaven.
Well that is as long as there is no English bars nearby as they have a big habit of spoiling the local culture.
One of my favourite types of food is tapas. This of course is wasted on us when we go to Spain. This is because you often get free tapas with each drink you order; well I don’t drink much so it would take me all day to get two pieces of tapas. So maybe rent a couple of alcoholics for the day????
Only kidding but it is a thought…..
Back in 2012 when me and Dominic had a weekend away together for a wedding anniversary I remember how nice the breakfasts were and this recipe is all about me re-creating it.
So if you want to bring a bit of Spain to the breakfast table then here goes!!!
How Frugal Is The Spanish Breakfast?
Our Spanish breakfast recipe works out at 1,97€ for a family of four or 0,49€ each. Or if you are based in America then this is just $0.57 per mouth that you have to feed!
- 1 Can Tinned Tomatoes
- ½ Can Haricot Beans
- 3 Large Sausages
- 2 Large Potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 Small Onion (peeled and diced)
- 6 Large Eggs
- 1Tsp Chives
- 1Tsp Oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- Firstly place your potatoes in a food steamer and steam for 20 minutes until soft.
- Secondly make your sausages and tomatoes. In a large oven dish pour in a can of tinned tomatoes, with ½ a can of haricot beans. Add to this a teaspoon of oregano and mix well. Add your sausages on top and place in the oven for 25 minutes on a 200c heat.
- Next, make your Spanish omelette. Place a knob of butter in a large pan on a medium heat and allow to melt and bubble away. Add the potatoes and onions and cook for a further 5 minutes until they are nicely coated in butter. In a jug beat your eggs and add salt, pepper and chives to the jug. Add the egg ingredients to the top of the pan. Cook under a grill for 10 minutes or until it is well cooked.
- While the omelette is cooking fry an egg to your liking and also add some sliced Spanish meats to a plate and also have a bowl of olives.
We have put together 22 favourite frugal recipes for you to enjoy and also frugal diaries, frugal tips and so much more. They are delicious recipes that any family would be happy to have on the dinner table.
Forget a life of frozen chickens and frozen vegetables this is your chance to enjoy real food at the same time as saving money.
These are in fact the recipes we personally used when we went frugal.
This ebook is just $2.99 on the Kindle and you can get your hands on it by clicking here.