Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Thighs. How to cook Greek style chicken thighs in your slow cooker or crockpot. Loaded with succulent crispy chicken thighs, Mediterranean vegetables and green olives.
Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Thighs
Let me introduce you to my favourite way for cooking chicken thighs in my new Crock Pot.
Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Thighs is one of my all time favourite comfort foods. You can use your Crock Pot to sauté your chicken thighs first on the stovetop and then slow cook your chicken thighs in a delicious Greek sauce.
Then the leftovers from the Crock Pot can be used to make a delicious slow cooker Greek soup.
A winner for us Milners!
This recipe for Greek inspired recipe for slow cooker chicken thighs came about thanks to Ollie’s Olives.
We were sent a big batch of them that had been marinated already that were perfect for Mediterranean cooking.
Just smelling them reminds me of childhood holidays to the Greek isles and how much I love Mediterranean food.
Living here in Portugal it is always about the wonderful food of the Mediterranean.
As I write this cured ham is hanging from our supermarket shelves ready for spring and bingeing on parma ham in beautiful salads or in the best tasting sandwiches that you have ever tried.
The supermarket is also always loaded with many types of tomatoes that are perfect for slow cooking like I am doing with them today.
Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs Bone In
Firstly, I am sure you want to know what kind of chicken thighs are best for making Greek chicken in the slow cooker.
For me, it is slow cook chicken thighs bone in.
Bone in chicken thighs and skin on, have the best taste and they won’t fall apart and are easy to handle when serving.
I also love to brown the chicken thighs in the slow cooker prior to starting the slow cooking.
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
I am sure you also want to know how healthy our slow cooker chicken thighs are.
Well in a nutshell Mediterranean food is among the healthiest in the world and the same applies to my healthy slow cooker chicken thighs.
There is no unhealthy foods and it would impress someone that follows Paleo, Whole30 and other healthy diets.
Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Thighs Ingredients
The main ingredients are skin on, bone in chicken thighs, Mediterranean vegetables and olives.
The Mediterranean vegetables that we used to cook with our Greek chicken thighs included:
- Fresh Tomatoes
Though the favourite ingredient for me was the fresh on the vine tomatoes. I have loved fresh tomatoes since my grandad grew them and love the smell and quality of them.
Vine tomatoes also make a fantastic base for a Mediterranean casserole.
The kitchen gadgets that we used for making our slow cooker Greek chicken thighs was our Crock Pot slow cooker.
We bought it in the Black Friday deals and love that you can sauté food in the pot on the stove and then return it to the slow cooker unit.
It saves on washing up and allows you to have crispy delicious chicken skin when slow cooking.
Should You Brown Chicken Before Slow Cooking?
Absolutely! There is nothing worse than eating skin on chicken and it having a soggy wet skin.
It puts me off eating the skin and I would rather have skinless chicken rather than uncrispy skin.
Can You Put Frozen Chicken Thighs In Slow Cooker?
Please don’t do this unless you have a death wish! Frozen chicken thighs in slow cooker is very DANGEROUS and make sure you have fully thawed your chicken prior to slow cooking it.
The reason for this is that a slow cooker doesn’t hit a high enough temperature to kill off bacteria that you get from frozen chicken.
Therefore, you are leaving yourself open to food poisoning and such like.
Can You Layer Chicken In A Slow Cooker?
Layering chicken in a slow cooker depends on what you are cooking. For example, if I was cooking lots of chicken drumsticks in a Chinese marinade, then this wouldn’t be a problem.
But if you are cooking our Greek Chicken Thighs then I would advise against it as you want your chicken well cooked as well as your vegetable casserole sauce and it would end up being overcrowded.
How To Make Slow Cooker Greek Chicken?
Making a delicious one pot of slow cooker Greek chicken thighs is so EASY and this is how it is done!
- Season your chicken thighs and crisp the skin over a high heat on your stovetop using your slow cooker pot.
- Put your chicken to one side.
- Prep your vegetables and load into your slow cooker.
- Add seasonings, mix and load your chicken and olives on top.
- Slow Cook and serve.
Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Thighs
- Peel and thinly slice your garlic cloves and load into the crockpot with salt and pepper and extra virgin olive oil. Place the slow cooker on the stove and once the slow cooker is hot add the chicken thighs skin side down. Brown the chicken skin until it has a wonderful crispy glow.
- While the chicken thighs are browning slice and clean the celery and the leek. Remove the cores and chop your tomatoes into chunks. Peel and dice the carrots.
- When the chicken skin is browned remove to one side.
- Load the vegetables into the slow cooker along with the seasoning and give them a good stir so that they are loaded in the chicken juices.
- Place the olives and chicken thighs on top and cook for 4 hours on high or 7 hours on low.
- If you would like a chunky chicken thigh casserole serve as is. Or for a creamy soup sauce blend the vegetables and serve with the chicken thighs.