Welcome to my slow cooked pulled turkey and coconut rice recipe.
If you have not tried pulled meat before then you must. It is a bit like the first time you have slow cooked ribs that fall off the bone. The meat is just so tender that you don’t even need a knife and fork to cut it as it will do it in your hands.
We have already on the blog our popular Indian spiced pulled pork and our Hawaiian pulled chicken sandwich. Both of which are delicious and both of them are cooked in a way that you will really savour every mouthful of meat that you have.
But as everyone knows turkey is often dry so could the same rules be applied to turkey and result in same meaty treat?
Oh yes it can…..It tastes just as good and is like the inner goddess has landed with what you can achieve from your turkey leftovers. You see I am not going out there and buying a huge turkey breast, instead I am using the brown meat leftover from the Christmas turkey.
You see no one wants to use the turkey. They hate it. They wish they had bought a turkey crown instead even though they carry a premium price tag.
But with brown meat what it needs is a bit of TLC and before you know it you have brought your turkey to life. You have a new use for your brown meat and because you’re serving it in a sauce you really don’t have to worry about whether or not it will be dry or not, because trust me it wont!
This is also served with a lovely flavoursome portion of rice to just keep the dish alive. Or if you liked you could swap this and use couscous instead. The end taste will still be the same.
So if you’re looking for something for one of those dark evenings when the sun has gone in early after work, or while watching a movie then this is it. Or even better why not portion this up for the freezer for a time in the future when you are no longer fed up with leftover turkey?#SlowCooker Pulled #Turkey & Coconut Rice Recipe via recipe_thisClick To Tweet
- Pulled Turkey:
- 300 g Leftover Brown Turkey Meat
- 1 Red Pepper sliced into strips
- 1 Small Onion peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Butter
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Worcester Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Mixed Spice
- 1 Tbsp Coriander
- Coconut Rice:
- 1 Cup Long Grain Rice
- 2 Limes juice and rind
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- ½ Avocado
- 2 Tbsp Coriander
- 1 Tbsp Mixed Spice
- Salt & Pepper
- Fresh Coriander
- Place your turkey meat into your slow cooker along with your red pepper and mix well. Add the coconut butter and a tablespoon of coconut oil and leave on the low setting for 10 minutes.
- Add the onion and mix again.
- Make your pulled pork marinade. Mix together Worcester sauce, mixed spice, dried coriander and soy sauce together. Pour into the slow cooker, mix everything well and leave to cook for a further 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- When the pulled turkey is just 10 minutes off being cooked make your rice. In a pan boil 1 cup of rice with 2 cups of warm water. Allow to cook with a lid on via a medium heat and after 10 minutes all juice will have vanished and mix well to form a nice delicious rice.
- While the rice is cooking make your rice flavouring. In a blender mix together a handful of fresh coriander, coconut milk, lime and the rest of your seasonings. Allow to blend and put to one side.
- When your rice is cooked and all excess water has been removed add your rice flavourings.