Welcome to my Slimming World Greek Fakeaway night in. Dive into a night of Greek food with our family focused Slimming World friendly Greek takeaway menu. Slimming World Hummus, Slimming World Greek Dip, Slimming World Falafel, Slimming World Salsa and finished off with some Slimming World Pita breads.
I have to say that I just LOVE Greek food. I am lucky enough to have visited several of the Greek Isles when I was growing up and loving the local culture and the local food.
My favourite island was always Crete as the food was always spectacular and I would love to visit again one day. The only problem though is that its so difficult to visit the Greek Isles from Portugal especially when you have 2 kids under 3. You have to get a connecting flight as there are no direct flights for us, plus the flights are always late at night.
Yet we can just drive for an hour in the car and we are in Spain or we can fly out to Madeira in an hour. So this means that Greece and the Greek Isles are often on the back burner.
But wow the food.
It is so family focused and everyone just thinks about family and eating together.
I love this quote from My Big Fat Greek Wedding:
“We are always together eating…eating….eating…”
As it is so true. Portugal which is also on the Mediterranean has always had a similar opinion on food. Plus I can imagine if any of my kids marry into a Portuguese family that it will be like the movie.
I remember disappearing on holiday in Crete when I was little and my parents going frantic. They looked everywhere for me and we were eating out at a restaurant at the time. In the end they found me in the back room of the restaurant with the kids and their family eating Greek food.
But when you think of Greek food it is often bumped up with oils and butters and carbs and is not exactly Slimming World or low calorie friendly.
So we decided to instead make a healthier version for a Slimming World Greek Fakeaway. With loads of food (after all the Greeks eat a lot and love their food) and to keep the Syns in check at the same time. So jump in and order in the ingredients as this is a Greek fakeaway that you will want time and time again.#SlimmingWorld #Greek #Fakeaway Recipe @recipe_thisClick To Tweet
Slimming World Hummus Recipe
- Drain the chickpeas and place them into the blender.
- Peel and thinly dice the red onion and place it into the blender.
- Zest the lemon and add the rind and the juice of the lemon into the blender.
- Add all the other ingredients into the blender and blitz until you have a smooth hummus.
We avoid tahini as we are a nut free blog. But you’re welcome to use it if you wish.
Slimming World Falafel Recipe
- Drain the chickpeas.
- Place the chickpeas and the gluten free oats into the blender and blitz along with the seasonings.
- Peel and dice the red onion.
- Place the blender mixture, the red onion, garlic and the juice from the lemon into a mixing bowl.
- Mix with your hands and form meatball shapes.
- Place them in the fridge for 30 minutes to harden.
- Cook inside the Airfryer via the baking pan for 8 minutes at 180c/356f.
If the mixture is too soggy then add some extra gluten free oats in order to bind it better.
Slimming World Homemade Pita Bread
- Mix together the melted butter, the milk, the seasoning, the yeast and the flour.
- Mix well until you have a soft dough.
- Knead for about 5 minutes until it is nice and soft and a perfect bread dough consistency.
- Cover with a clean tea towel and allow to prove.
- After 30 minutes knead and then roll out into thin to medium circular shapes like you would if you were making flat bread or tortilla wraps.
- Cook for 5 minutes on each side in a small skillet or frying pan.
Slimming World Greek Dip
- 6Tbsp Greek Yoghurt
- ¼ Small Cucumber
- Handful Fresh Mint
- 1 Small Lemon (juice only)
- 1Tsp Garlic Puree
- 1Tsp Thyme
- Salt & Pepper
- Peel the cucumber and place it into the blender.
- Add all the other ingredients and blend until you have a thin Greek dip.
To make it more interesting with your Greek Fakeaway, I also like to add a tablespoon of the Slimming World Hummus that I have just made.
Getting Organised With Your Greek Fakeaway
Okay so there are four recipes here in one and you might be making this after a long day at work. So What I suggest is that you pre-plan it like this:
- Before you start cooking get all the ingredients out and measured to save time
- Make the pita bread dough first as it takes the longest
- Make the hummus the night before – it tastes best when it has been fridged overnight
- The dip is quick and can be made while your falafels are cooking
- While the falafels are cooking use that time to make both the dip and cook the pita bread
You could also work in the kitchen as a two piece like we did. Dominic made the pita bread and cooked it, while I did the hummus, dip and falafels and we both ended up done at the same time.
So there you have it. A delicious Slimming World Greek faakeaway. Slimming World Falafels, Slimming World Pita Bread, Slimming World Hummus and a delicious Greek Dip. Everything that you could possibly want and need to make the Slimming World Greek Fakeaway of your dreams. Plus we have made as much of it as possible with our kitchen gadgets. So a big thanks to our Airfryer, Airfryer Baking Pan, Blender and Skillet.
From a Syn point of view it works out at:
- Slimming World Hummus = Syn Free
- Slimming World Falafel = 1 HEB Each
- Slimming World Pita Bread = 11 Syns + 1/3 HEA
- Slimming World Greek Dip = Syn Free
- Total Syns = 11 Syns & 1/3 HEA & 1 HEB per person
You can bulk up your meal with some boiled rice or some extra salsa in order to keep the Syns down. Though I prefer to have extra falafels as they are just so scrummy I just don’t want to stop with just one portion – or is that wrong?
On top of this if you knock off the pita breads then this comes down to being just a healthy extra B. Or if like me you can have them smaller as the pita breads we made are huge and make them ½ the size and you’re talking 5.5 Syns instead.
If you were to visit a Greek restaurant. Then you would be looking at a lot of high Syn options with very little that is Syn Free or low Syn.
Looking at the Syns the popular choices would be:
- Hummus & Pita Bread = 23 Syns
- Moussaka = 16 Syns
- Meatballs = 24.5 Syns
Compare this to if you have mine above you would be looking at more than ½ the Syns, so I am really impressed to have reduced it by as much as I have.
If you want even more Greek Food then we also recommend:
- Paleo Moussaka
- Courgette Chips & Dip
- Greek Eat Your Greens Soup
- Stuffed Aubergines
- Greek Koftas
- Greek Chicken Pasta Salad
- Airfryer Greek Chicken Souvlaki
Slimming World Greek Fakeaway Recipe Podcast
We also have created a full version of all the recipes combined in this fakeaway into a Podcast. We have loaded it up onto our Itunes account and it is great for a quick download and then you can save it to your phone and then have it in your kitchen with you as you cook.