Jamaican Jerk Meatballs in the Air Fryer. A delicious taste of Jamaica with homemade Jamaican Jerk Meatballs. Throw all the Jamaican Jerk Meatball ingredients in a bowl, mix well and cook your yummy homemade jerk meatballs in the air fryer.
Jamaican Jerk Meatballs cooked in the air fryer was originally published on RecipeThis.com back in January 2017. We have updated it with extra information and an improved marinade. We hope you enjoy the updated version of our Jamaican Jerk Meatballs.
Jamaican Jerk Meatballs
I call my Jamaican Jerk Meatballs my favourite meatballs from leftovers as they are exactly that.
I had some jerk seasoning in the cupboard that needed using up, from our Air Fryer Jerk Chicken as well as some chicken burgers in the fridge.
Added to this was breadcrumbs in the freezer from when the kids last left their crusts on their bread.
The idea was that instead of getting something else out of the freezer for lunch we could have some delicious Jamaican Jerk Meatballs instead.
Our under 5’s could help make them and it could be a fun lunch in the making.
Here in Portugal it is impossible to get hold of ground chicken or minced chicken as you might call it. It just isn’t popular.
You could use a meat grinder of course, or like I LOVE TO DO is grab some plain chicken burgers and use this as your meatballs base instead.
At my local Lidl then often have a pack of fresh chicken burgers on sale for under 2€ a pack. They are unseasoned, making them perfect for mixing in a bowl and using as a plan B for chicken mince.
You can also swap the chicken or other mince such as turkey, beef or pork too if you prefer.
Jamaican Jerk Meatballs In The Air Fryer
The air fryer was just meant for cooking Jamaican Jerk Meatballs or any other type of meatballs.
They fit so perfectly in the air fryer and BEST OF ALL they keep your meatballs moist and you don’t have to worry about burnt or dry meatballs.
Just consider that the size of your air fryer, will limit how many jerk meatballs you can cook at once.
They can’t end up on top of each other and should not feel overcrowded. Normally when we are cooking meatballs in our air fryer this will mean cooking 8-10 at once.
When I make Jamaican meatballs in the air fryer, I want a naughty dipping sauce to go over them, so that they are sticky and oh so tasty.
To balance my time better, I will cook the meatballs in the air fryer and while I am waiting make my extra Jamaican marinade.
3 Ingredient Jamaican Jerk Meatballs
Excluding the marinade that I am loading my jerk meatballs with once cooked, there are only 3 main ingredients in the Jamaican chicken meatballs.
This makes it easy for when you are in a rush for dinner or want a frugal choice.
- Jerk Chicken Dry Rub – The one we use is Tan Rosie but it is only available in Europe, for the US this brand is our true favourite.
- Ground Chicken/Chicken Mince – You can use supermarket bought or go organic with US Wellness Meats or through Thrive Market.
- Breadcrumbs – I always have a big stash of spare breadcrumbs in the freezer. It will be from one of many times when we have made bread and the kids left their crusts or when the bread went stale and we decided to save it for later for the next time we needed breadcrumbs.
Then to make the delicious jerk chicken marinade there is only a few ingredients and most people will have these ingredients in their pantry:
Though if you don’t have all spice you can swap this for some extra jerk dry seasoning instead. Overall, these are simple ingredients that most kitchens will have available.
Air Fryer Meatballs Temperature?
For cooking Jamaican Jerk Meatballs, the great thing is that there is a universal temperature setting you can use with your air fryer.
That is 180c/360f.
Otherwise known as the medium temperature. Cook them lower on 160c and they will be undercooked or won’t have a crispy texture. Yet cook your meatballs at 200c in the air fryer and they will be dry, and taste overcooked.
MORE Air Fryer Meatball Recipes
I LOVE cooking meatballs in the air fryer, and we have made plenty of varieties over the years. Below are our favourite meatball recipes that we cook time and time again.
These are meatball recipes that are easy to follow and recreate in your air fryer.
Here are a few Air Fryer Meatball Recipes:
- Air Fryer Party Meatballs
- Air Fryer Honey & Mustard Pork Meatballs
- Air Fryer Meatball Sub
- Air Fryer Vegan Meatballs
- Air Fryer Moroccan Couscous Meatballs
Jamaican Jerk Meatballs In The Air Fryer
- Place the chicken into a mixing bowl along with your breadcrumbs and your jerk seasoning and mix well. Make into meatball shapes or use a meatball press.
- Place the Jamaican Jerk Meatballs into the air fryer and cook for 14 minutes on 180c/360f.
- In a bowl mix together the soy sauce, honey and the rest of the jerk dry rub. Mix well.
- When the Jamaican Jerk Meatballs are cooked toss them in the sauce and serve them on sticks.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: