Welcome to my Paleo Greek Koftas with tomato sauce in the slow cooker.
Greece is one of those places that everyone should visit in their lifetime. With the beautiful Mediterranean Sea, the delicious food, the family friendly atmosphere and the old fashioned streets what is there not to love?
I have been fortune enough to have visited quite a few of the different Greek isles and out of them all Crete was my favourite. Unfortunately it is not somewhere I am going to be lucky to go to for a while. Here in Portugal with the terrible connecting flights it would mean flying into London to then fly out again. Therefore if you have small children this just isn’t going to happen. Instead we tend to get our Mediterranean kick with family holidays across the border in Spain.
But the Greek isles remain in my dreams and one day I will go back there. That is of course a hint to EasyJet to offer better flights from Portugal to Greece but I doubt it is something that they are going to do any time soon!!!
When you do think about Greek food though a lot of it is always considered to be unhealthy. But I think this is because quite often when a Brit goes on holiday there, they always end up on the unhealthy food that is sold in the masses to the tourists and don’t understand what the real Greek food is all about.
Those kebab stores (like you have in England) come out and feed the masses and not enough of the family food is eaten. This is a real shame because people in Greece have a very healthy diet and have a very long life thanks to the delicious home cooked foods that they have. Actually, just like here in Portugal they have a lot of fresh vegetables and this in my opinion is a perfect recipe for enjoying lots of vegetables and the Greek food.
So tuck in and discover a healthy kebab!#Paleo #Greek #Koftas With #TomatoSauce In The Slow Cooker recipe via recipe_thisClick To Tweet
- Slow Cooker
- The Sauce:
- 1 Medium Onion (peeled and diced)
- 1 Litre Homemade Tomato Sauce (get my recipe here)
- 200g Tinned Tomatoes
- 3 Large Fresh Tomatoes (diced)
- 1Tsp Garlic Puree
- 1Tsp Paprika
- 2Tsp Cumin
- 1Tsp Thyme
- 1Tsp Mustard
- Salt & Pepper
- 300g Minced Lamb
- 1Tbsp Coriander
- 1 Small Onion (peeled and diced)
- Salt & Pepper
- Place all the sauce ingredients into the slow cooker. Cook on a low setting for 3 hours.
- Make your koftas by combining the kofta ingredients and making them into really fat sausage shapes. Though make sure you have mixed the ingredients well. Place them in the fridge.
- Your tomatoes will now have reduced and you will have a creamy substance in your slow cooker. If the tomatoes are a little stiff then use a hand mixer to turn it into a puree.
- Add your koftas to the top like you would if you were adding meatballs. Place the lid back on your slow cooker and cook for an extra hour on high.