Welcome to meatless Monday best ever slow cooked vegetarian lasagne recipe.
Did I ever say I loved lasagne? Course I did! I am addicted it and so is the whole family. It is one of those meals that if you LOVE pasta and cheese then you’ll love lasagne.
I remember originally learning to make it when I was about 13 and it was one of my signature dishes when I left home. It was something that I could cook for Dominic without making a complete idiot out of myself. After all, it is so embarrassing to cook for a chef when you are limited on your cookery skills. Then you just kind of think that you are going to make a complete fool out of yourself.
Well with lasagne it was a fail safe recipe and one that Dominic would love to eat all the time if he could. I would probably cook it for him a couple of times a month as I only really cooked for him about twice a week, as one of the perks of being a chef was always being fed at work!
It was always a great success and Dominic ate way too much back then and would have a lot of leftovers which is always a great sign that your man loves your food!
Though, I did once set the oven on fire when cooking it when I didn’t realise there was some fat from a previous meal in the bottom of the oven! Though, I doubt many 18 year olds cleaned the bottom of ovens!!!#MeatlessMonday Best Ever Slow Cooked #Vegetarian #Lasagne Recipe via recipe_thisClick To Tweet
- 1 Large Onion (peeled and diced)
- 8 Lasagne Sheets
- 250g Soft Cheese
- 468ml Cheese Sauce (get my recipe here)
- 1 Small Courgette (chopped into chunks)
- 1 Bag Spinach
- 1Tsp Garlic Puree
- 1Tsp Mustard
- 1Tbsp Olive Oil
- 25g Cheddar Cheese
- 1Tsp Basil
- 1Tsp Oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- In a wok or large pan add the onion, garlic and mustard along with the olive oil. Sauté for approximately 3 minutes or until the onions are tender.
- Add the green vegetables and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add your seasoning along with your soft cheese and stir well.
- Layer your slow cooker with your ingredients – start with a layer of vegetables, a layer of lasagne sheets, cheese sauce, another layer of lasagne sheets, last layer of vegetables, last layer of lasagne sheets and then finish it off with the rest of the cheese sauce. Sprinkle onto the top cheddar cheese and some dried oregano.
- Cook on the high setting for 4 hours or until the lasagne is well cooked.
I do a flourless cheese sauce but you can of course do a traditional cheese sauce too. I just find with the cheese and the lasagne I want to make it a little healthy.
You can also add more vegetables to it if you wish, I just love the combination of soft cheese with courgettes and spinach.