Welcome to my latest recipe in the Instant Pot pressure cooker and today we are celebrating our love for lasagne with a delicious vegetable loaded turkey lasagne. Full to bursting with flavour, loads of lasagne sheets and a huge portion of cheese makes this a family recipe winner.
Our sons’ favourite food in the world is lasagne. He lives and breathes my lasagne. Forget his dad making it and the fact that daddy is trained in cookery and I am not, it must be mummy’s lasagne every time.
He will nag me for lasagne if we go more than a month without it as he loves it that much.
It has in fact always been my signature dish – the first thing I ever cooked for Dominic, my Saturday night supper obsession and as a cheese sauce freak it has always been perfect for me.
Naturally this meant that growing up he has had plenty and plenty of lasagne. It would usually involve lots of minced beef, cheese sauce and then extra cheese because its just wrong not to.
But over the years we have also played with it quite a lot and love it with pork mince instead of beef (for a great frugal alternative) or more recently with chicken or turkey.
The way it goes with chicken or turkey is that you can mix cooked breast meat with a delicious creamy cheesy sauce, throw in the vegetables and then it is like pot pie but with lasagne sheets instead of shortcrust pastry.
It is truly delicious and because it has loads of vegetables in it, this means that you need less meat and this results in it being the perfect use of leftover meat that you don’t quite know what to do with!
Plus we did it this time in the Instant Pot – we used an old ceramic square cooking dish we had that fitted perfectly on top of the steaming shelf. Or you can of course use a cake tin to make it in instead.#InstantPot #Turkey & Sweet Potato #Lasagne #Recipe via recipe_thisClick To Tweet
- Using the steamer function on your Instant Pot steam your chosen vegetables. 2 minutes on the steam function is adequate as they will carry on cooking with the lasagne.
- Mix together in a mixing bowl the cooked turkey, garlic, Greek yoghurt, soft cheese, cheddar cheese and basil until you have a well mixed creamy substance.
- Drain the steamed vegetables, add them to your turkey mixture and put to one side.
- Peel and dice your sweet potato and cook it in the air fryer for 10 minutes until it is 75% cooked.
- In the bottom of the Instant Pot add 250ml of water and then place your steaming shelf on top.
- In your ceramic dish (or whatever you are using for cooking your lasagne in) layer the bottom with a thin layer of tomato sauce.
- Follow this with a layer of lasagne sheets making sure that they don’t overlap as it will result in crusty bits of lasagne that have not cooked properly.
- Add a layer of your turkey mixture, followed by a thin layer of your sweet potatoes.
- Follow this up with another layer of lasagne sheets.
- Add another layer of turkey again, followed by sweet potatoes.
- Add a final layer of lasagne sheets, followed by cheese sauce.
- Place the ceramic dish into your Instant Pot (on top of the steaming shelf) and cook on manual for 40 minutes. Leave to rest for 10 minutes before manually releasing pressure.
I have called it mixed vegetables just because we used what we had in the bottom of our fridge and suggest you do the same. Don’t go out and buy loads of vegetables just for this Instant Pot lasagne recipe. Instead go with what you have. For example we had tomatoes, peppers, celery, leeks and a little pumpkin. Avoid vegetables that are all high water as it will turn your lasagne to mush.
We used our flourless cheese sauce in this recipe. This is because when cooked in the Instant Pot a traditional cheese sauce can be too thick (because of the flour element) and by using a vegetable based cheese sauce it works much better.