Welcome to my latest rice recipe in the Instant Pot and I am going local with some Portuguese turkey rice. Local rice with shredded turkey and vegetables makes a hearty spring meal for the whole family.
This dish is traditionally cooked meat free, but I am on a mission to use up the last of my turkey breast (read more about my challenge here) and adding some turkey breast to this dish makes it taste even better.
I live in a beautiful village that has an amazing community feel. We are a minority in our village. Firstly we are one of about only 2 houses that are occupied by English people with every one else being Portuguese. The other big difference though is that everyone else is over the age of 75.
And even worse I would say as of right this moment they are all fitter than me. This is shameful really considering I am 35 years old and they are more than double me.
I put this down to putting loads of weight back on after the birth of my 3rd child last year and the fact that they are free to exercise from dusk until dawn thanks to being retired and having all the time in the world.
I see them walking their dogs every morning, afternoon and evening and they must clock up at least 3 miles every day. They also follow the Mediterranean Diet and I am sure every single one of them will see in their 90th birthday, unlike the country where I was born when being fit like this is considered a minority.
But we are taught that rice is bad for us and that we should never eat it, yet my elderly neighbours have rice, beans, potatoes and bread which is all banned if you are on a health kick.
I like my rice, but I also appreciate that if I want to lose weight I have to keep it to a minimum and it’s such a shame as it is so nice.
In this recipe we are getting to grips with the delicious rice of Portugal. It is cooked to perfection in the Instant Pot and so good. It is also even better paired with some baked chicken or fish and you will feel less guilty knowing that it is a staple of the Mediterranean diet.#InstantPot #Portuguese #Turkey #Rice #Recipe via recipe_thisClick To Tweet
- Shred your turkey into small pieces so that it resembles pulled turkey.
- Peel and dice your carrots into small pieces.
- Place into your Instant Pot the carrots, rice and the olive oil. Cook for 3 minutes on the sauté setting or until the carrots are starting to cook.
- Click cancel, add all the seasoning, peas, garlic, stock and then stir well.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set to sealing. Cook on the rice setting for 12 minutes.
- When it beeps quickly remove pressure, take the lid off and give it a good stir.
- Change it to slow cooker setting and it will automatically set it to cook for four hours.
- Thinly slice up the hard boiled eggs.
- Add the turkey and eggs and stir it again.
- Leave it to finish cooking for 10 minutes.
- Stir one last time and serve.