Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Casserole is loaded with chicken, red peppers, jalapenos, black beans, sweetcorn and served in a creamy cheesy sauce.
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Casserole
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Casserole is perfect for some seasonal comfort food in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker and if you are like me you love comforting casseroles this is PERFECT.
When I first tried this, it was so good I couldn’t wait for it to make its way onto the dinner plate and then onto the dining table. I was eating it with a fork from the Instant Pot, while Dominic was taking pictures of it on one of our side plates.
Before I knew it, I was stuffed and so was the kids.
I remember back in early summer emailing my subscribers with my weekly newsletter. I mentioned how much I loved summer for the beach time and the pool time.
But what I didn’t mention was what season was my favourite for food and I would have to say autumn.
That is because I can eat all that lovely comfort food with all the in-season winter vegetables and feel in food heaven.
Its also the time of the year, when Dominic who doesn’t care for winter squash moans when I serve pumpkin or butternut squash yet again!
Though he never complains when I make this delicious cheese sauce that I have used today in my Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Casserole, if your kids hate their vegetables, they will love it this way.
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Casserole Without Rice
Not only is this Mexican chicken casserole yummy comfort food but there is no rice or pasta in sight!
Even though I love my rice and pasta when I make an Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Casserole it must be without rice.
Instead I love the way red peppers, jalapenos, black beans, sweetcorn and melted cheese go together and I don’t feel the need for rice.
This also means that our Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Casserole is gluten free and a healthier version of many of the Mexican chicken casseroles that you know and love.
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Casserole With Cream Cheese
What makes my Instant Pot Mexican chicken casserole so special is that it is made with Philadelphia cream cheese, or as you might know it, soft cheese.
It gives it that amazing creamy texture and is a lower calorie alternative to using sour cream or a single or double cream.
Because the casserole is cooked with a chicken stock you have the stock as a binding agent for your cream cheese sauce and it makes it even easier to cook your Mexican casserole in the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Casserole To Freeze
Unlike many Mexican Chicken Casseroles, you can freeze it. You just need to make sure it has returned to room temperature before you do.
Then portion it up once cooled, place into freezer containers and it is ready for the freezer.
If you love Instant Pot Freezer Meals, I also recommend doubling up this casserole recipe and then you can have more of it for the freezer.
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Casserole Ingredients
When sourcing ingredients for our Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Casserole, I reckon you will have most in your pantry or fridge already:
When we made our Mexican casserole, we just needed to buy red peppers and the rest of it was ingredients already in.
How To Cook Mexican Chicken Casserole In The Instant Pot?
Cooking Mexican Chicken Casserole in the Instant Pot is so, so easy. I cook it in three stages:
- Stage 1 – The initial sauté stage. This is when you would add flavour to your Instant Pot, start cooking the chicken thighs and red peppers and kick start the cooking process.
- Stage 2 – Dump and start. Its now time to deglaze your Instant Pot with your chicken stock as well as adding in extra ingredients.
- Stage 3 – The sauce stage. I call the last stage my cheese stage as this is when I make it creamy and dreamy and addictive.
The worst part for me was waiting for the picture of the Mexican chicken casserole in the Instant Pot, prior to dishing it up. I just wanted to eat it ALL!
MORE Instant Pot Dinners
Our Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Casserole is not our Instant Pot Dinner in the Instant Pot and I doubt it will be the last. Below you will find even more Instant Pot Dinner ideas from RT.
- Instant Pot Jalapeno Chicken Pasta
- Instant Pot Tuscan Chicken
- Instant Pot Paella
- Instant Pot Sausage & Kale Soup
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Deseed and slice your red pepper into medium sized chunks. Clean and thinly slice your spring onions. Thinly slice your jalapenos and remove the seeds. Chop your chicken thighs into bite sized chunks.
- Place the prepped ingredients into your Instant Pot along with your olive oil and garlic puree and place it on sauté, wait for it to warm up.
- Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the chicken has colour to it.
- Cancel sauté, pour in your chicken stock to deglaze the pot and place the lid on the Instant Pot.
- Set the valve to sealing and cook for 3 minutes on manual pressure.
- Use QPR (quick pressure releasto manually release pressure.
- Drain the contents of the Instant Pot to remove all the liquid but keep the spare liquid for later.
- Place the Instant Pot back on sauté and add in the black beans, sweetcorn, soft cheese and the seasonings. Keep stirring and add in a little liquid at a time so that it is not too thick. Add in grated cheese and decorate with sliced jalapenos.
Can’t make it now? Then pin it for later!
Join The RecipeThis.com Community:
Plus, don’t forget to subscribe below to join our email newsletter with updates of our latest recipes, latest freebies, our cooking stories, plus much more: