Welcome to my review of my brand new Kitchen Craft 2.5L Cast Iron Round Casserole Dish. Otherwise known as my official time to fall in love with winter cooking when it is cold outside and we want warming up!
The first ever casserole dish I bought was a while ago now and I have been looking for a new replacement for my current one that looked a bit battered and bruised. We had favourite meals that we have been making in our casserole dish and as we are not big eaters we wanted a smaller version. Our other one is huge and 2.5L seemed like the perfect fit.
I remember growing up and my aunt making the best ever casseroles. I was just hitting double figures and I thought it was great that I could have a casserole with booze in it. My aunt loved her red wine and it would always have quite a lot in it. This to a 10 year old is quite a thrill.
The casseroles that she would make would usually be beef with lots of seasonal vegetables and it was delicious. She used to also have a slow cooker that she made them in too and I could never really tell the difference when cooking with it.
Our favourite casserole dish recipe
It is amazing how we often have the same favourite recipes that we use in our cooking. Well I have a few of those over my kitchen gadgets and one in particular that I use for my casserole dish.
It is my version of chicken chasseur made in the Kitchen Craft Casserole Dish. It is full of lovely flavours and I often have it with pasta or some bread.
[Tweet “Kitchen Craft 2.5L Cast Iron Round Casserole Dish Review”]
- 1 Chicken Breast cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 Chicken Wings
- 2 Large Potatoes peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 Large Onion peeled and then thinly sliced
- 1 Medium Red Pepper diced
- 1 Medium Courgette diced
- 2 Medium Carrots peeled and diced
- 3 Large Tomatoes diced
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- Handful Fresh Basil
- 1 Tbsp Oregano
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Puree
- 250 ml White Wine
- 250 ml Chicken Stock
- Salt & Pepper
- Start by preparing your vegetables and peeling and dicing as instructed above.
- In the casserole dish place the olive oil, onion and garlic puree and cook on a medium heat until your onions are golden.
- Add the chicken and lightly cook the outside of the chicken so that it is nice and golden and then remove the meat.
- Add the vegetables, the seasoning and the white wine and cook well.
- After 20 minutes of cooking on a medium heat add the chicken stock, then after a further five minutes add the chicken. Make sure the chicken is layered on the top and that the vegetables and juices are below it.
- Cook for 40 minutes on a medium heat and then serve.
Why get the Kitchen Craft 2.5L Cast Iron Round Casserole Dish?
Well for me it is the ease of use. The fact that you can cook something on the top of the oven and then finish it off in the oven. It saves on washing up and makes a very good easy evening dish. Sometimes you can end up spending all night in the kitchen, yet if you use this you can do the quick preparation and then leave it in the oven to bake.
I have also tested a lot of cast iron dishes and have found with a lot of them that they crack because they can’t take the heat, but this one can certainly handle my cooking!
It is also very well priced and due to its size, can easily fit in your kitchen cupboard.
That’s A Wrap!
In terms of getting yourself one of these Kitchen Craft 2.5L Cast Iron Round Casserole Dish you can get yours by clicking here. If I were to do it again and/or if I were to currently recommend a cast iron casserole dish to you, I would say CHOOSE THIS ONE.
Unfortunately if you’re based in the United States it is not available but the closest one we found was this one.