Welcome to my latest Instant Pot recipe and today is all about an Instant Pot take on the classic Portuguese recipe of Bacalhau. This brings together lots of local Portuguese flavours to give you a tasty salted cod loaded with dairy, potatoes and egg.
I don’t know why but it never feels like I get enough Portuguese recipes on Recipe This. I live in Portugal so they should be a lot more frequent and there should be a crime against not having them on here.
It’s my local cuisine, I eat out in restaurants all the time eating it, yet here I am with the third ever Portuguese recipe. My first two was of course Piri Piri based with it being the Portuguese flavour of choice. First we had a Nando’s take on Piri Piri Chicken and then of course some Piri Piri Chicken Legs.
But every one knows what Piri Piri chicken is, thanks to the hype of the Nandos chain of restaurants, but what is Bacalhau you ask?
Bacalhau is simply the Portuguese name for salted cod. It is traditionally dried out cod and it is served with potatoes and egg. If you can imagine an oceans pie it is the oceans pie for the Portuguese.
For the frugal family the main benefit is how flavoursome it is. It is very high salt led, this means you don’t need to add much of it to your dish for it to taste delicious. Just a little of it goes a long, long way.
We add lots of egg, potatoes and a creamy sauce to ours to give it a lovely salty flavour and it is lovely served with a side of rice or just have it as it is.
Plus when you cook it in your Instant Pot it is so quick and so easy. This Bacalhau recipe is certainly one to go back to over and over again for a quick comfort food fix. Though only try it if you like salt!#InstantPot #Bacalhau #Bake #Recipe via recipe_thisClick To Tweet
- In your Instant Pot add your onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft with your olive oil.
- While your onion is sauteing prepare everything else. Using a good peeler peel the potatoes (with the skin still on) until they are like very thin slices of potatoes. Sprinkle your potatoes in rosemary and salt and pepper and mix well so that the potatoes are well covered.
- In the Instant Pot add the potatoes, fish, white wine, the rest of the seasoning and mix well.
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl and mix well. Add them to your fish bake and mix well.
- Mix in the soft cheese so that it has a lovely creamy texture.
- Add 200ml of boiling water and mix again. This will give it enough liquid for cooking with.
- Place the lid on your Instant Pot, set to sealing and cook on the soup setting for 10 minutes. When done manually release pressure and serve.